Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread – Why is BA’s award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clinic Thread – Why is BA’s award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to (posting on) FT, maulermark!If your 2-4-1 voucher is for award redemptions, then you need to be aware that BA now generally prices awards on a sector-by-sector basis so the "generous stopover rule" is academic, as you're paying separately for the next flight in any event.
Thanks Globaliser. In reading another travel blog, I was under the impression that BA allows multiple stopovers on awards tickets as long as it falls in the most direct route. The reference there is over a year old so I'm wondering if this has changed?

Also, IIRC these vouchers are usually for BA metal only, but BA does not fly AMS-HEL or CDG-HEL. And I don't think that the vouchers are usually valid for MFUs, only for pure redemptions.
According to the OneWorld travel map, BA flies AMS-HEL and CDG-HEL but with a transfer in London at either LHR or LGW. Hmm, I wonder if this violates the direct route rule?

Finally, don't forget that availability is not done on a first come first served basis. There may not necessarily be any award availability when bookings open, and availability can be added at any time thereafter (or not, as the case may be).
Yep, understood. I've got my KVS and Award Nexus accounts lined up. This is a marathon and not a sprint.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:35 pm

I was told recently that with the new sector approach for avios, BA no longer care how you route-- as long as you have the miles you can fly whatever route you want. I haven't entirely confirmed that but it seems plausible. However, I think there is a good chance you will only be able to book such routes by phone, which means you are limited to service center hours and have to pay extra fees for every booking/change.

You might also look at PHX as a departure city (maybe fly WN from SMF?)?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by maulermark
The reference there is over a year old so I'm wondering if this has changed?

According to the OneWorld travel map, BA flies AMS-HEL and CDG-HEL but with a transfer in London at either LHR or LGW. Hmm, I wonder if this violates the direct route rule?
There was a big change in November 2011. Now most pricing is sector based. If you fly JFK-LHR-AMS, you'll pay separately for JFK-LHR and LHR-AMS whether or not you have a stopover at LHR. If you fly AMS-LHR-HEL, you'll simply pay separately for AMS-LHR and LHR-HEL.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just a quick question, since I'm not MFUing so regulary. Is it normal that I can't change my flight online anymore except for seat changes? When I'm MFUing one segment, can I still MFU another segment as long as there are award seats available? Thank you for your answers in advance!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:02 pm

There was a big change in November 2011. Now most pricing is sector based. If you fly JFK-LHR-AMS, you'll pay separately for JFK-LHR and LHR-AMS whether or not you have a stopover at LHR. If you fly AMS-LHR-HEL, you'll simply pay separately for AMS-LHR and LHR-HEL.
I guess the question is whether this rule applies even when using a 241, but it seems the general view is that it does.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by teiring
Is it normal that I can't change my flight online anymore except for seat changes?
If a ticket's already been changed once, it's often not possible to change it again via MMB.
Originally Posted by teiring
When I'm MFUing one segment, can I still MFU another segment as long as there are award seats available?
This should be possible.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you verying much!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
I had to make a change to an award booking online today. Bad enough that they charge me $40 for this, but they had the nerve to add tax to it as well. Ok, it was only $0.79, but still...
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Can you use Avios outside of BA?

I've been struggling to find a suitable redemption flight using my BA Miles/Avios for a few years now. Each time I search for a flight for a typical week's holiday I either find no redemption flights available or no suitable outbound or return for the dates I want (even though I search for up to 12 months ahead). I typiclly search for LHR->DXB or LHR->BKK return flights.

So, collecting Avios through BA is pretty pointless for me and I was wondering whether I could use the Avios points that I have already accumulated outside of BA?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by rumbataz
I've been struggling to find a suitable redemption flight using my BA Miles/Avios for a few years now. Each time I search for a flight for a typical week's holiday I either find no redemption flights available or no suitable outbound or return for the dates I want (even though I search for up to 12 months ahead). I typiclly search for LHR->DXB or LHR->BKK return flights.

So, collecting Avios through BA is pretty pointless for me and I was wondering whether I could use the Avios points that I have already accumulated outside of BA?
Of course you can! Avios can be redeemed for free travel on any of BA's partner carriers, including AY, CX, and RJ.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by guv1976
[SIZE=1]
Of course you can! Avios can be redeemed for free travel on any of BA's partner carriers, including AY, CX, and RJ.
Free being a relative term in this context, of course
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by rumbataz

I have found LHR-DXB availability to be pretty good, compares with other routes.

What dates are you looking for? Maybe availability hasn't opened up yet?

With award bookings it's good if you can be a bit flexible and book time off work around when you can find availability.

It's rare to find the exact dates you want, but with a little flexibility you can always find something.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by maulermark

I think the rule of thumb is all things BA flow through LHR. With my 100k I think I am going to use 80k to Dublin on Aer Lingus and find a way to make 5k so I can fly from ORD - Caribbean (SJU or something) vacation @ 25k R/T.

No LHR and under $150 in fees. About a $3500-4000 Aer Lingus flight and a $500-600 ORD-SJU or ORD-MBJ ticket. So for $150 in BA fees I will have redeemed $4000-4500 worth of airfare.

Last edited by factory81; Jul 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
You might also want to add that Avios are priced out per segment due to the fact that if not, it would allow routes such as YYC-LHR-TYO for 200K in J (published routing)
Old Jul 6, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP
This seems like the proper place to ask this question. While I understand that award availability can be difficult, my general question is does BA release seats as it get closer to DOD? I have an F award booked ORD-LHR-AUH, no problem and I have LHR-JFK no problem, but my AUH-LHR is C using KVS, i can see that there is no award availability in F or J, but none of the seats are sold as of now in F. I've read enough to understand that this route isn't one of the more popular ones either. Do I have a decent change for 2 seats to open up in either J or F (this flight is Nov 16)? Thanks in advance and I am so excited for my first BA experience in F no less!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.