Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant - Early take off Late arrival

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
GVA -LHR yesterday afternoon, took off just past scheduled time, and arrived on at the gate 25 minutes early...

Rare, very rare in fact but does happen here and there...
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Early arrivals happen frequently at LGW - often get flights arriving 25 minutes or more early. Thankfully LGW doesn't have the air traffic problems that LHR does.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Early arrivals happen frequently at LGW - often get flights arriving 25 minutes or more early. Thankfully LGW doesn't have the air traffic problems that LHR does.
My inbound from DBV was 1h15 late departing but made up 30mins en route. Sadly - and I realise atypically from the punctuality stats - all bar one of my LGW flights in the last year have been 30mins late or more. I am jinxed.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I am jinxed.
Indeed that seems to be the case. Remind me not to fly on the same flight as you!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:43 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

LHR is great.

But LGW is better

(Except for lounges, flight connections and walking distances)
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: AARP
Talking

Originally Posted by HIDDY
The OP clearly has too a easy life if he thinks his experience deserves a rant tag.
Ditto
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
IF LHR could get a 3rd runway, then all flights could be scheduled to land after 6:00 am without any exceptions.

BAA knows that if it does not get the planes down early - it will play catchup all day long
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I was very surprised that BA 68 managed to A- leave Philly early (we took off when we should have been pushing back), B- gain time over the Atlantic, and C- go straight into Heathrow. Even having travelled in WT and got caught in immigration I was still outside the scheduled arrival time.

Apparently our early departure arose from the early arrival of the incoming flight, how can a plane have favourable winds in both directions?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by exilencfc
I was very surprised that BA 68 managed to A- leave Philly early (we took off when we should have been pushing back), B- gain time over the Atlantic, and C- go straight into Heathrow. Even having travelled in WT and got caught in immigration I was still outside the scheduled arrival time.

Apparently our early departure arose from the early arrival of the incoming flight, how can a plane have favourable winds in both directions?
I believe that it is possible to have different direction winds at different flight levels - but I could be wrong!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:59 am

Indeed. The jetstream winds which dominate over the Atlantic, especially in the winter, are only a few miles wide. Hence the flight planners will attempt to route the aircraft in the west/east jet for the journey to the UK, but will avoid it on the trip westwards.

Aircraft have automatic datalink messaging systems that constantly send wind and temperature information back to the office. With so many aircraft in the sky, wind info is generally very accurate and allows the flights to find the best route for that destination.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Hence the flight planners will attempt to route the aircraft in the west/east jet for the journey to the UK, but will avoid it on the trip westwards.

Aircraft have automatic datalink messaging systems that constantly send wind and temperature information back to the office. With so many aircraft in the sky, wind info is generally very accurate and allows the flights to find the best route for that destination.
That isn't how the NAT Tracks works at all "pilot". The Atlantic crossing tracks are fixed for the day. You'll get a clearance into the appropriate track. Sometimes the one you want, sometimes not the one you want. There's rarely more than six or seven tracks in each direction. One is usually much better than the others. Much more down to being at the right place at the right time than careful flight planning.

More in line with the main thread discussion actually BA does need to take responsibility for the lengthy holding times into LHR. NATS are part owned by an airline consortium who were very insistant that runway utilisation should be maximised as much as safely possible. In order to do that a "reservoir" of aircraft is neccassary in the sky to comply with that wish. It's far easier to feed aircraft into the airport from a fixed position than sequence them from differing points as happens even at LGW unless is really busy.

Likewise the pre 0600 emargo isn't set in stone. If it's looking like there are too many aircraft converging onto LHR for 6am a little discretion is permissable by the SATCO.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:10 am

That isn't how the NAT Tracks works at all "pilot". The Atlantic crossing tracks are fixed for the day. You'll get a clearance into the appropriate track.
Not if you're filed on a random route clear of the tracks you wont. The 'best' track will also vary by start and destination. The right track for LHR-JFK will rarely be the right track for AMS-ORD etc etc. The evidence of that is that I cannot remember not getting the track requested since NAT RVSM came in.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:20 am

EGLL, I know how the track system works thanks very much.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Not if you're filed on a random route clear of the tracks you wont. The 'best' track will also vary by start and destination. The right track for LHR-JFK will rarely be the right track for AMS-ORD etc etc. The evidence of that is that I cannot remember not getting the track requested since NAT RVSM came in.
But there are occassions where all of the westbound tracks are bunched over Greenland and even the furthest south is over Newfoundland. Leaving the closest route to a GC also being the route with the most favourable winds. In this case you have all of the East Coast traffic right down to Florida wanting the southern most track. Maybe RVSM airspace gives enough capacity to cope with that demand.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
EGLL, I know how the track system works thanks very much.
Just as well

I wonder if we've ever spoken?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.