Wiki Posts
Search

Rant - Early take off Late arrival

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
Rant - Early take off Late arrival

Isn't it great when you get on board and every one gets to their seat quickly and the plane leaves the gate early and you think you will be at your destination early?

Then you circle around Heathrow at 630 in the morning and end up land late. And then after you long haul flight they don't put you at the gate instead they give you a parking spot and it takes forever for the stairs to show up. And then the stairs finally show up and the bus isn't there. And then once you fianlly get to the terminal and head for fast track customs you have the slowest people in the world processing everyone coming through.

Just an experience that happened today.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Wow... And you had to endure all that in a middle seat in WT right?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
The going round in circles was so that you didn't disturb my beauty sleep by landing early!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Which flight were you on?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:03 am

0630 hrs? Too late, you'd missed the party! Things started warming up at 0420 hrs over Fulham. Five or six of those four engined monsters turned up within 10 minutes - WAKING ME UP!

I had to put my slippers on and go for a pee.

Palmer
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Palmer

Palmer
You mean you can't do it without your slippers?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Not if the ....hou$e is at the end of the garden
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
That made me laugh!

Palmer
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Droch - I'm with you on this one.

I must have spent a good month of my life in total in holding patterns waiting to land at LHR. About the only occasion I've ever had a straight in approach was the time Tony Blair was on the same flight as me - so he wasn't completely useless as a PM after all.

The quickest push back to take-off I've ever enjoyed was at the end of May last year, during the BA strike. The MS 777 I was on left T3 and was airborne from 09R in less than 15 minutes.

The fundamental problem LHR has is too many flights and not enough runway capacity.

If you see a pair of slippers in Fulham hung out to dry you'll know who they belong to.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
0630 hrs? Too late, you'd missed the party! Things started warming up at 0420 hrs over Fulham. Five or six of those four engined monsters turned up within 10 minutes - WAKING ME UP!

Palmer
I wish they would enforce the curfew. I don't belive that all those early arrivals have an emergency!

Why can't they take off later (I know take off curfews) or cruise slower?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Palmer
Presumably the HKG flights arriving.

I go for a pee during the night, flights or not.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:53 am

I had a look at flightstats. Eight flights landed and on the stand before 5:00 am - a mixture of HKG and SIN. One LOS and one BOS flight in there. The BOS flight was about 30 mins early.

It must be the time of year. The clocks going forward in a couple of weeks will sort it.

Palmer
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Droch
Isn't it great when you get on board and every one gets to their seat quickly and the plane leaves the gate early and you think you will be at your destination early?

Then you circle around Heathrow at 630 in the morning and end up land late. And then after you long haul flight they don't put you at the gate instead they give you a parking spot and it takes forever for the stairs to show up. And then the stairs finally show up and the bus isn't there. And then once you fianlly get to the terminal and head for fast track customs you have the slowest people in the world processing everyone coming through.

Just an experience that happened today.
Is this supposed to be unusual? Happens all the time to me when I fly UA from IAD to LHR. Maybe not the stairs part, but you have to walk from the very end of the terminal for what seems to be miles to get to Immigration & Customs.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, Flying Blue Gold
I once came straight in to LHR, the only time I have flown on Qatar - was very impressed!^

I do agree it can be annoying, but this sort of thing is out of the control of any one person - it is public transport at the end of the day, and at least on a private jet you can usually take off quicker because it's from a small airport to a small airport...

There's nothing anyone can do about it, apart from maybe have 5 new runways at Heathrow and three new terminals....
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by OPebble
I wish they would enforce the curfew. I don't belive that all those early arrivals have an emergency!
IIRC although the "night curfew" for arrivals ends at 0600, airlines are permitted a certain number of exceptions between 0430 and 0600. These exceptions are mainly used for the flights that are scheduled to arrive during that 90 minute exception window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.