Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Purchasing Miles - Up to 30% extra until 5th May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing Miles - Up to 30% extra until 5th May

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by reevery
Sorry to be naive but I can't seem to find the answer...

In the context of BA's previous miles sales, how does this compare? I seem to remember there was one last summer which was 25% bonus, which makes 30% look like one to snap up. Has it been higher in the last couple of years? Like a 50% bonus? (Not counting the redemption sales)
I've only seen 25% and that was at the old level of max 19,000 miles per year. I can't quite remember what the pence per mile cost was then though.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
It can be a "cheap" way of getting two CW-F upgrades when making a 241 reservation if you are on a tight miles budget. It's certainly cheaper than 2x pro-active CW-F upgrades which are typically around £300 each.
Apologies for responding to my own post here. CW-F upgrades seem to be £399 each way at the moment (when offered). When used with a 241, say to DXB, 20,000 miles one way would give 2x CW-F upgrades for something like £250 at the 31,200 miles for £399 rate. And that's without the added "saving" for those without status who may spend £120 (LD) or £160 (UD) to reserve seats. So the net cost could be as low as £90 each way. Sounds good to me.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:13 am

I notice that the cost in Euros for Europe-based accounts is significantly more than the cost in USD for US-based accounts. EUR574 = USD793 at today's rates, but the BA.com price for a US account is USD685.

I'm not sure what the rate in GBP is, as no one close to me has a UK-based account, although going by Euan's post, the UK cost would be the lowest of all.

I am not complaining, mind you, as I am quite aware (thanks to FT) that I'm getting a lot of advantage out of basing my account in Europe.

As another matter, reading the T&Cs for Purchasing miles for someone else, it appears that the amount you can receive in a year (19,000) is less than the amount you can buy/give in a year (24,000)... Is there a reason for this? On the surface, it would have seemed either of my US-based parents could buy miles as a gift to my account at the USD rate. Digging into the T&Cs, though, I am not sure I would actually receive all the miles, due to the lower limit on receiving miles!

Originally Posted by Executive Club Conditions of Use
Purchasing BA Miles for someone else
The Purchaser can purchase a maximum of 24,000 BA Miles for any one Member, in any one calendar year. There may be occasions where there is a delay in the miles being credited to your account. Please check details with your local service centre.

A Recipient of purchased BA Miles can receive a maximum of 19,000 BA Miles in any one calendar year in aggregate, irrespective of the number of Purchasers.
The Purchaser should ensure that the Recipient has not received more than 19,000 BA Miles, including the proposed BA Miles transaction, in that calendar year.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:25 am

If you advance yourself the points on Amex, and then transfer to BA before the 31st to get the current 40% bonus, the cpm if you don't 'earn' the points in the next 12 months is only 1.8 cpm. That sounds like a way better deal to me.

(That's 1.4 miles/point, at a cost of 2.5 cpp)

Hey, no it's not. I mis-read the first post

good deal!

Last edited by OpenQuestion; Mar 8, 2011 at 10:33 am
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: BA S, LH S
I bought at 25% last time round and I have a figure of £319 in my head, which is the same base price per mile as at present (1.6ppm + £15 fee, so 24k is £399). Recalculating now with the fee gives 1.28ppm as Euan stated against last summer's 1.34ppm.

Much better to buy in £ too looking at exchange rates... £399 < €574 and £399 < $685.

In answer to your [rhetorical?] question Euan, I've very few miles and relatively cash-happy so I'd only be building up the stockpile.

Last edited by reevery; Mar 8, 2011 at 12:51 pm Reason: correcting US fee...
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I can't be bothered to micro-manage this one [OK, I know I should] because the HHA is now down to 12,854 after our forward bookings and associated MFUs.

It's a done deal, BA, and we'll be buying shortly ... and thank you ^
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by reevery
Much better to buy in £ too looking at exchange rates... £399 < €574 and £399 < $793.
To clarify, the $793 cited in my post was a conversion of €574 to USD at today's rates. BA.com is selling the same number of miles to US members for $685, which although more than £399, is not much more.

That's what led me to look at whether one of my family in the US could buy the miles using the "Purchasing Miles for someone else" option on BA.com, and it appears they can, with the strange caveat that T&Cs say I would not receive more than 19,000 miles, even though BA.com appears quite happy to sell them 24,000 together with the 30% bonus, and allow them to enter my details as the recipient.

I suspect that either the T&Cs have an unintended mistake, or BA.com allows you to enter a transaction that under the T&Cs should not take place. If I decide I'm actually likely to want to make use of this promotion, I'll probably try to get some clarity from the Executive Club on whether the full amount of miles can be bought for me by someone else, or whether I have to buy them for myself (at the higher European pricing).
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I made my wife, who's account is UK based (as a BA nobody) to buy at the GBP 399 rate for herself and for me (a real Euro based). No problem at all with the 32500 miles.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by JamieT
Not IME - it showed as points.com on the BA Amex PP when I purchased miles 18 months or so ago and triple miles didn't apply.
I bought some miles last year on my BA PP Amex and got the 3miles/£1 rate.

If i bought the 24k (+7.2k bonus) for me and my Wife on my Amex it'd trigger my 2-4-1 as well. Considering using this for a trip over summer but availability is dwindling by the day. Don't really need the miles anytime soon, but i would use them at some point. Can't decide if it's worth it to trigger the 2-4-1 and get that award booked....
Old Mar 10, 2011, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
... up to 30% more miles with Airmiles ...

Ping! E-mail from Airmiles.

Not quite the dizzy levels as the BA Miles offer (which I'm still contemplating), but this one is a no-brainer for us. And there is no points.com surcharge.

Originally Posted by Airmiles
Conversion table
Spend / Get / + Bonus (until 30 April 2011) = / Total
£30 / 200 miles / 0% / 200 miles
£45 / 300 miles / 10% more / 330 miles
£60 / 400 miles / 20% more / 480 miles
£75 / 500 miles / 30% more / 650 miles
... and the miles show instantly.

The bonus for the gift miles goes to the purchaser.

Last edited by Roger; Mar 10, 2011 at 4:38 am Reason: added last line
Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, BA Amex, VS red
has anyone got confirmation that you can "purchase miles for someone else" only up to 19k miles.

in the T&C's it says max to be gifted is 19k. but if you purchase 19k currently it will then give you bonus miles as 30% offer is on.
Do they give the recipient these miles or are they lost?
it also allows you to select 24k miles to gift someone which is odd
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:52 am
jvc

new and naive, just dont get it

£399 for 31,000 mi

equivalent 31,000 point flight cost circa £240 (ie LHR-MAD 2ppl)

why would anyone buy miles? ... as I'm sure there's probably a million answers to this question, I'll be a little more specific...

is it better value to use miles for say, upgrades, instead of award bookings?

or is my comparison invalid because the £240 fare is not flexible? therefore maybe not equivalent?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC
On the face of it, you're right it's shocking value. However, if you are miles short of a particular award then they become better value.

The best value is to be had by using miles to upgrade where you can, for instance, pay for a transatlantic WT+ ticket and upgrade to CW for 25k miles (Availability dependant!!!!)

That barely scratches the surface so your next job is to scour the BA dashboard which is the first thread, where all your questions are answered in full.

Oh yeah, welcome
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jvc
£399 for 31,000 mi

equivalent 31,000 point flight cost circa £240 (ie LHR-MAD 2ppl)

why would anyone buy miles? ... as I'm sure there's probably a million answers to this question, I'll be a little more specific...

is it better value to use miles for say, upgrades, instead of award bookings?

or is my comparison invalid because the £240 fare is not flexible? therefore maybe not equivalent?
I bought flights with miles (15k) LCY to MAD return for tuesday which are now at over £1k... A better compairson... Only good use of miles short haul are for examples like this... Would normally be better to use on long haul premium flights!

But if you need this many miles, surely the platinum amex is better value and gives you more... 42k for £300 and you can cancel once miles transferred....
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Jamjaw
But if you need this many miles, surely the platinum amex is better value and gives you more... 42k for £300 and you can cancel once miles transferred....
Not all of us are US/UK based. Some Euro-cheats aren't actually cheating...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.