Wiki Posts
Search

BA in a spiral

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Why have you changed CT-UK's name in the quote?
I sincerely hope this was an error and you're not trying to call him that disgusting word.
That can hardly be an accident. Bad taste, no matter what the nature of the target.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Why have you changed CT-UK's name in the quote?
I sincerely hope this was an error and you're not trying to call him that disgusting word.
He's a thoroughly decent person who is a great supporter of the BA charity Dreamflight.
maybe something wrong with the system ? the same thing happened when he quoted me .
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by half pint
maybe something wrong with the system ? the same thing happened when he quoted me .
Missed that one but still. Satirically commenting on someone's outlook on life is not quite the same as calling someone that now is it?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I thought I might step in and share with you the perspective from a moderator of this forum

I've been mulling over the opening post and responses to this thread and thought I might share some of my own thoughts on why some members choose to rant on internet bulletin boards. It is true, many customers will seek out information to validate a situation they have encountered with BA (or another airline). They find the forum, do a bit of background reading and once the truth is confirmed, they then use the forum as an opportunity to blow off steam. This is entirely natural and there's nothing wrong with that. However, afterwards once the new member, or veteran in this case of this thread, has had a chance to immerse him/herself with the wider aspects of the airline and FFP, they usually change their tune. An informed traveller is a more happy traveller. So we welcome newcomers, accept that many will to go through a self initiation and we forgive them for their opening rant.

An unwelcoming tone is destructive. Not only does it deter new members from engaging and contributing to our community, it royally pisses off existing members and it scares off lurkers and future contributors. So in 2011, it is unreasonable to ask that we emphasis a little more and castigate a little less.

My tuppence worth

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Prospero
My tuppence worth
Aye....^

My unfriendly reaction to the OP was ignited firstly by his thread title, then his "country in a mess" comment and also the effects of the Malbec.
My guess is there's more to this story than meets the eye. Something like the hope of a upgrade not being fulfilled can put one in a negative frame of mind. A comment made by a cabin crew member in relation to a request not being to ones liking or just being pissed off with anything British after being given a good hammering at the cricket.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm sure the odd trip in Y on BA is unpleasant and that doubtless there are some cabin staff who have the wrong attitude.

What I think this thread has shown though (amongst other things), is that for all BA's current faults (and they are at times not inconsiderable), the cabin crew are held up by most of BA's frequent flyers as one of their mjor assets.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have a genuine question. Does BA serve wine in a 'proper' glass in WT? If not, and if BA uses a plastic cup, it explains how the OT managed to get the wine back into bottle. Easily done with a plastic cup, I think - squeeze the sides of the cup and you can make a bit of a 'spout'.

Not that I would want to try the whY wine or I will probably whine.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
It does seem to me it is difficult to argue that the OP did not experience what he said he experienced. None of us were there. Sure the criticism is direct but then Australians are more direct than British people. A crew member can have an off day and really not want to be there. It is a long time since I have travelled long haul Y, but it comes as no surprise that the wine is crap, wasn't this the very issue that Jancis left working for BA over. It is also a long time LH that I have had any thing other than at least very good crew. Generally they are BA's biggest asset. I think the OP had a bad day, but his comments are apposite.

From photos I have seen, wine is served in plastic cups, no difficulty pouring that back into the bottle.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Prospero
I thought I might step in and share with you the perspective from a moderator of this forum

I've been mulling over the opening post and responses to this thread and thought I might share some of my own thoughts on why some members choose to rant on internet bulletin boards. It is true, many customers will seek out information to validate a situation they have encountered with BA (or another airline). They find the forum, do a bit of background reading and once the truth is confirmed, they then use the forum as an opportunity to blow off steam. This is entirely natural and there's nothing wrong with that. However, afterwards once the new member, or veteran in this case of this thread, has had a chance to immerse him/herself with the wider aspects of the airline and FFP, they usually change their tune. An informed traveller is a more happy traveller. So we welcome newcomers, accept that many will to go through a self initiation and we forgive them for their opening rant.

Prospero introduces are rare note of reason to this debate. A rant is often understandable but there should be limits.

An unwelcoming tone is destructive. Not only does it deter new members from engaging and contributing to our community, it royally pisses off existing members and it scares off lurkers and future contributors. So in 2011, it is unreasonable to ask that we emphasis a little more and castigate a little less.

My tuppence worth

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by stueys
Interested as to what has provoked the hostility? -
- over 2500 posts so not a troll
- identifying issues we've all discussed (I struggle with a lot of the wine in J, shudder to think what Y is like)
- it's surely not impossible to pour wine from a glass back into the plastic bottles you get in y?

The comment that surprised me in the post was around BA service, my experience here is that BA continue to set the bar re crew (though I'm very partial to AZ).

I've missed something right?
The one thing consistent about the BA board is that there has always been a loud but small contigent for whom BA can do no wrong. As long as you arrive at your destination living and breathing, you are being unreasonable by complaining.

To be fair, there is also a group for whom BA can do no right.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have thought a purist Australian would have gone the Qantas route anyway and just changed at Melbourne.

I fail to see how the behaviour of cabin crew, aircraft of any airline that are stockmarket quoted can be a reflection on a country. Its seems a little odd.

But what I did enjoy was a past read of one of your threads that you started. I take it you dont like flying very much.!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rvice-yeg.html

I like the line, "bunch of tossers", for some reason it made me giggle !!!

Happy New Year.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by origin
I like the line, "bunch of tossers", for some reason it made me giggle !!!

A bit of a Victor Meldrew I would say.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajax
The one thing consistent about the BA board is that there has always been a loud but small contigent for whom BA can do no wrong. As long as you arrive at your destination living and breathing, you are being unreasonable by complaining.

A very fair analysis.

I'd add my backing to Prospero's reasoning. The impersonal nature of the Internet makes it easy to rant away...but fighting fire with fire is not the best way to go.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:47 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!

Hit. Nail. Head. ^

Although I do feel that recently the former have outweighed the latter, if not in actual numbers then certainly in magnitude of posts made. A lot of good stuff gets lots in the waddle of the "BA-can-do-no-wrong". The recent, so what if you were downgraded from CW to CE thread being a recent example.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
The one thing consistent about the BA board is that there has always been a loud but small contingent for whom BA can do no wrong. As long as you arrive at your destination living and breathing, you are being unreasonable by complaining.

To paraphrase My Cousin Vinny, this is "balls on accurate". What is eternally astonishing about the BA board is the complete surprise and disbelief with which each contingent greets the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.