FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA in a spiral (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1166426-ba-spiral.html)

Ferrari Dec 31, 2010 8:27 pm

BA in a spiral

Not having flown BA for quite some time, i was eager to see what the service was like on my recent flight BA9 BKK-SYD.

We had the use of the QA first lounge in BKK, although small was very well run and a very high standard.

The then came the plane a crew, it was apparent after about 30 mins they wanted to be there as much as I did, hard to describe but generally tardy, I found the plane to be old and worn with many things not working, which says a lot about general standards.

I was intrigued by the wine choice with dinner, and later read that a MW Janice Robinson choose the wine, no doubt with a 50p budget, it was rank.!.
I actually poured it back in the bottle and gave it back.

Food, inedible for a normal digestive system.

All in all I felt that the airline is in a full nose dive, I cant see how they can survive in such a competitive market with such poor service, without doubt I would pay more to fly one of the Asian carriers next time, it was a foolish mistake to take the chance on something British while the country is in such a mess.
The morale of the crew showed through, bored, tired and zero customer service, the steward actually called the guy sitting next to me an idiot because he did not understand the meal choices.

The steward was [snip] (BA9 BKK-SYD 31/12/10)

Yep, I’m sure the BA purist will beat into me but sorry, it sucked!

Y fare, BKK BA9 31/12

Kgmm77 Dec 31, 2010 8:50 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How on earth did you manage to pour the wine back into the bottle? Do you travel with a funnel for such occasions?

HIDDY Dec 31, 2010 9:03 pm

Cobblers.

toothpick Dec 31, 2010 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77 (Post 15558685)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How on earth did you manage to pour the wine back into the bottle? Do you travel with a funnel for such occasions?

Well... there's another way, via the urinary canal, but it's highly unlikely the OP did that in full view - or perhaps on that route the cabin crew really are pretty lax.... or need entertainment?

indianwells Dec 31, 2010 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77 (Post 15558685)

Also my first thought. I call BS.

elitetraveler Dec 31, 2010 11:27 pm

I didn't think Jancis was involved in choosing wines for down the back. That said, since I thought most airlines served swill in Y?

stueys Jan 1, 2011 1:29 am

curious

Interested as to what has provoked the hostility? -
- over 2500 posts so not a troll
- identifying issues we've all discussed (I struggle with a lot of the wine in J, shudder to think what Y is like)
- it's surely not impossible to pour wine from a glass back into the plastic bottles you get in y?

The comment that surprised me in the post was around BA service, my experience here is that BA continue to set the bar re crew (though I'm very partial to AZ).

I've missed something right?

ginger50 Jan 1, 2011 1:46 am

Originally Posted by stueys (Post 15559327)
Interested as to what has provoked the hostility?

Cricket perhaps?

srt8 Jan 1, 2011 2:22 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 15558724)
Cobblers.

Well put......
succinct and incisive.^

natkraft Jan 1, 2011 2:27 am

Originally Posted by indianwells (Post 15559109)
Also my first thought. I call BS.

Agreed.

Even if possible to pour it back to the bottle, I highly doubt BA staff would approve of it as it would be a health concern. I call BS as well.

EDIT:

Doh. I just noticed it was a Y fare, so the tiny bottles not the nice shared large ones - I guess its possible to pour it back if you go to the lavs to avoid spilling then. Still, highly unhealthy - at least it wouldnt be served to anyone welse.

Swanhunter Jan 1, 2011 2:44 am

I've experienced all of the elements the OP describes in the last year. The difference for me is that the number of bad experiences has been outweighed by the good (especially staff and crew where my experiences have been superb in the last 6 months).

natkraft Jan 1, 2011 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 15559427)
I've experienced all of the elements the OP describes in the last year. The difference for me is that the number of bad experiences has been outweighed by the good (especially staff and crew where my experiences have been superb in the last 6 months).

:eek: you have spit wine back into the bottle? :confused:

Swanhunter Jan 1, 2011 2:58 am

Originally Posted by natkraft (Post 15559448)
:eek: you have spit wine back into the bottle? :confused:

Err, no. Though I have been served wine sufficiently horrible to leave it undrunk.

natkraft Jan 1, 2011 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 15559456)
Err, no. Though I have been served wine sufficiently horrible to leave it undrunk.

Oh yeah, that is - unfortunately - understandable.

But pouring/spitting it back to the bottle is, in my mind, over the top. Which is why I had to doublecheck (as thats what the OP did) :)

henkybaby Jan 1, 2011 3:17 am

Pouring the wine back in a bottle during a spiral is even more impressive. Too bad you can't pour the whine back in a bottle.

The then came the plane a crew
Methinks he poured the wine somewhere else though. :) I have only flown BA Y once and I liked it. Crew were fantastic (better than J!) and the food was good (on par with J). I don't drink wine on planes, so I would have no idea what the quality was like.

So, based on my one experience I would need to disagree and claim that the OP is a liar. We all know that one experience is enough to judge so there you go.

2011.... It is good to be back. :)

To the OP for future reference: you don't actually need to pour the wine back in the bottle to send it back. They really won't reuse it.