Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do BA own T5 lounges? Observing lounge staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do BA own T5 lounges? Observing lounge staff

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I'm sure that some of you, like myself must have worked in catering in their youth, no matter how long ago that was
Isn't it a pity that the catering / waiting business is low status / low wage in the UK? Hence its take up by young people before somethign 'better' comes and maybe the underlying problem on this thread. If you're low paid, why shouldn't you take a payment in kind as long as it's discreet?

Elsewhere in the world it's often a higher status role.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by TeamStorm
.... I can't imagine you pushing your trolley down the aisle and deciding you like the look of a bread roll and eating it as you do service - in effect I guesst that's what the staff in the lounge are doing. I've certainly seen the people who man the little luggage room eating bacon rolls whilst on duty, just doesn't look great..... even before we get to any morale argument.
Exactly. Not professional at all, even if it's allowed, which I highly doubt. Everyone gets breaks, and lunch breaks. Take something from the kitchen and have it on your own time. I don't want bacon grease on my coat when I get it back.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by bealine
Whether BA applies the charge, or whether there are "contra" deals in place, I have no idea (but rather suspect there are).
I would hope that BA applies the charge...especially with regard to AA. It must be so much more expensive for BA to maintain their lounges with better offerings. And from what I've seen at MA and AY lounges, BA is well ahead.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Which staff are taking food? Those in BA uniform or others?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:38 am

When the strict 1 bag policy and 100ml liquid was implemented at Heathrow I remember BAA staff talking unopened items that were left behind by passengers. It included bags, perfumes and alcohol.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Recently, I have not seen any staff helping themselves to the buffet. Things do seem to have improved based on my experience over the last couple of years since this thread was started.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue ivory
Originally Posted by Tim1975
Agree with you completely. So long as there is enough food for passengers I don't have a problem with staff helping themselves a bit. It strikes me as rather mean spirited to begrudge a guy on minimum wage an occassional bacon butty. If it takes a bit of free food to keep his morale up and doing his job well then so be it.
Totally agree. I have no problem with the lounge staff having a bacon butty.

However, I do have a problem with some of the staff in LHR Galleries First, who deliberately avoid eye contact with you so they don't have to serve. Sometimes it's so obvious that it becomes comical.

My record was 20 mins, trying to catch their eye and mumbling "excuse me" in an awkward English manner like some kind of third-rate Hugh Grant.

Eventually I spoke to the manager, who acknowledged the problem and spoke to the staff.

(You could also consider the popular "stand by the kitchen door" technique! Sometimes a queue can develop though )

So come on Flounge staff ! I won't begrudge you a sneaky bacon butty and a drink. All I ask is for my Neales Yard cheese platter before "Gate Closing" comes up. It's delicious.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I haven't noticed this much of late. My understanding is that catering is typically poorly paid and free meals are standard across the industry. But agree doing it in front of customers doesn't look great.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: GGL
Am 3 times a week in f lounge these days and never saw staff eat anything, but am not interested either, as get always served promptly.

What I do see often is cabin crew carrying CE trays to the back and always think that looks a bit strange but maybe it is normal process
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by jplondon
What I do see often is cabin crew carrying CE trays to the back and always think that looks a bit strange but maybe it is normal process
Th majority of Short Haul flights do not get the benefit of crew catering, so anything left in club is usually gets distributed to the crew.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Th majority of Short Haul flights do not get the benefit of crew catering, so anything left in club is usually gets distributed to the crew.
Ok fine for me, I just wondered whether normal or not
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by jplondon

If they are having the leftovers, fair enough to me. In fact I'm pretty easy-going with the food in CE so if they have a preference, I'd be quite happy for them to choose theirs first, although I know they wouldn't. Quite often there are unexpected nice surprises by eating what I normally wouldn't choose, so I actually like leaving my CE meal choice to pot luck.

I don't know why but CE meals are almost always nicer than CW main meals. Maybe different ovens or something.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I don't know why but CE meals are almost always nicer than CW main meals. Maybe different ovens or something.
CE main meals are cooked in the plastic tipping dishes, and in the main are on airbus aircraft so cooked in steam ovens. Then tipped into the china serving dish.

CW main meals, are, in the main, cooked in their china serving dishes and are all cooked in dry convection ovens. That china serving dish is then places on a charger and given to the customer.

So, you could argue, I guess, that the difference in heating method and the fact that the CE dish is "moved" from one container to another of sorts "refreshes" the appearance and fluidity of the dish, where as the CW dish has not moved since it was loaded several hours ago in X catering unit.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
CE main meals are cooked in the plastic tipping dishes, and in the main are on airbus aircraft so cooked in steam ovens. Then tipped into the china serving dish.
Thank you BBB for the information.

I think the steam ovens must be the key, also as you said moving from the container! I have not had any dry pasta in CE in the last 2-3 years at least, yet I had the most over-cooked and dried up pasta I have ever encountered in CW.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Has anyone noticed that this was a two year old thread before someone decided to resurrect it today as if it was an ongoing discussion!! and you all have just continued the argument you were having over two years ago!!

Just found that amusing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.