Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do BA own T5 lounges? Observing lounge staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do BA own T5 lounges? Observing lounge staff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by redsox1918
Pre 5.30am it is a real struggle to find someone to get you a glass of champagne.

I have no issue for staff having a drink or whatever else but this should be on the other side of the kitchen door. Drinks and food come from the kitchen so why can they not take from this area.

Nxt time I am in the lounge and can not get service not sure what I will do.
This thread is a fuss about nothing.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm Reason: remove personal remark (to calm discussion)
Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
This thread is a fuss about nothing.
So I want bang for my buck May I suggest that those staff wanting a full breakfast have this before the lounge opens.

I pay my money and expect the service. If you are sat in 1st have you ever had a cc member say sorry you can not dine now or I can not get ua drink as I am eating?

Any difference?

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 3, 2010 at 6:59 pm Reason: amend quote, following mod edit
Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:49 pm

So I want bang for my buck May I suggest that those staff wanting a full breakfast have this before the lounge opens.

I pay my money and expect the service. If you are sat in 1st have you ever had a cc member say sorry you can not dine now or I can not get ua drink as I am eating?

Any difference?
If you want a waiter waiting by your seat in the Galleries just to take your order for a glass of Champagne at 5.30 in the morning you had better expect to start paying a hell of a lot more for your ticket.

You would have every right to complain if the food hadn't been put out for your arrival in the lounge. However going by your post this had already been done by the staff and it was time for their breakie break. A well deserved break no doubt since they had probably clocked on at some ridiculous hour in the morning. ^
Old Jul 3, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by bealine
Hiddy - the brown uniforms are on just above the legal minimum wage. As with most catering companies, a free meal is a legally entitled "benefit in kind". Crikey, even tightwads McDonalds allow their staff a free McSomething or other!
Catering/housekeeping staff should not be taking food from the lounges. This was always an issue and they have been told many times about it. Indeed, when we had lounge managers, this was one of the things there were keen on checking into. However since they left last year and haven't been replaced, it seems that there has been an increase in catering/housekeeping staff have definitely been taking more stuff from the lounges.

Further it as always an issue going back to the T4 days, and we were always told that neither BA or catering/housekeeping staff should be taking things from the lounges, yet every day we would watch the catering/housekeepign staff leave with bowls of soup or noodles or plates of sandwiches and drinks etc. Yet, if a BA staff member was seen with anything that looked remotely like lounge food (even when brought from home), the same catering/housekeeping staff were quick to report this.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
As long as there are some bacon rolls left for me I really don't care. I don't know what arrangements the contract staff have with their employer - maybe they get a meal while they're at work as part of their benefits package. Maybe they take the bacon rolls from outside the kitchen because they've been sitting around so they eat them and fresh ones are brought out for passengers.

It's my job to use the lounge, to eat the food and drink the drink, not run the place. If I have a service complaint I will make it through one of the usual channels.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 1:37 am

This thread is a complete fuss about nothing.

Next time I'm working the lounges, I'll tell the brown-jobs to be more discreet, which they will resent because as Speedbird LHR said, they have always been quick to tell tales about BA staff.

However, if they have been told and they continue to be overt in removing food (to which they may be entitled) and newspapers/magazines (which definitely do not belong to them), then I will alert our managers.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 1:45 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Tell me I have no power of observation but I don't think I've ever noticed lounge staff blatantly getting things from the lounge. Maybe it doesn't happen much in T5 GF (that's the only place I hang out for any length of time) but is it a very common occurrence in GC?
I have experienced this at T5 Galleries First. At first I was rather appalled because while I waited 20+ mins for someone in a brown uniform to notice me, other staff members were surfing the internet, 2 women were having a meeting in the dining area with food and drink, and I could not get anyone's attention.

This has happened on more than one occasion, and in my experience Qantas would never tolerate this, so I was very surprised that BA would.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm sure that some of you, like myself must have worked in catering in their youth, no matter how long ago that was

Every place I worked, staff meals were controlled and taken in a way that was not obvious to customers. What we were allowed to have was fair and reasonable and certainly didn't involve a free-for-all from the buffet.

The absence of management is obviously a key contributing factor and perhaps if it was being properly controlled the cross-subsidy from the staff lounge could be reduced ...
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Oooh, just scraped in under the FT 2-year 'statute of limitations' on outdated threads.

Gosh darn it, now someone else will be along to pick up on this non-subject as though it was a) important; and b) had never gone away...
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs

Any difference?
If you have a problem in getting staff to fulfil your desire for Champagne pre-05:30, may I respectfully suggest that your bigger problem is not the absence of staff but the presence of the urge....
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by fraisse10
If you have a problem in getting staff to fulfil your desire for Champagne pre-05:30, may I respectfully suggest that your bigger problem is not the absence of staff but the presence of the urge....
Buy that man/lady a Bollinger!!!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Originally Posted by Genius1
I am Golden now. On my last two visits to GF, staff were quite merrily and conspicuously helping themselves to crisps and soft drinks cans from the bar across from the Gold Bar at the end of the lounge, before disappearing through the staff doors to the left.
But did you actually see them eat it? You have no idea, surely, what their work pattern and duties are, surely?

Myself, my response is "who cares!" this thread is a waste of time and I have no idea why I'm even typ
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
To be honest... the whole thing.

I am sure people have noticed crew drinking fizzy drinks onboard. Drinking a glass of apple/orange juice. Eating a bread roll from Club etc...

I find it exceptionally hard to believe that all of you who work in offices/universities/hospitals/wherever have not taken a pen or some other form of stationary item home and used it there... Is everyone going to start handing them selves in for punishment and possible sacking over a pen? or a pencil sharpener?

Couldn't agree more BBB, however I do think that 'pinching' things in front of the customers doesn't look great - if it's going to be 'tolerated', maybe people could be a little discreet ?

I'm not sure it would look good in front of customers if at the end of a meeting nicked all the whiteboard pens, or put the food from lunch into my bag.

.... I can't imagine you pushing your trolley down the aisle and deciding you like the look of a bread roll and eating it as you do service - in effect I guesst that's what the staff in the lounge are doing. I've certainly seen the people who man the little luggage room eating bacon rolls whilst on duty, just doesn't look great..... even before we get to any morale argument.

My personal suspiscion (having worked in fresh food many moons ago) is that any wastage probably far out-strips any 'nibbles' by a considerable margin.

Ed
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by VolcanoMan
But did you actually see them eat it? You have no idea, surely, what their work pattern and duties are, surely?

Myself, my response is "who cares!" this thread is a waste of time and I have no idea why I'm even typ
Well indeed....two years later and my views havn't changed on the subject.

The nosey parkers really need to chill out or go join a neighbourhood watch scheme.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
If we're talking about the contract staff how do you know they aren't allowed a wee something? I imagine they're on crap wages anyway.
I would say a cup of coffee and a bacon roll is fair especially for the morning shift who are probably up well before the dawn chorus and don't get a chance to grab some breakfast at home.

If that makes me a shameful person in agreeing with that so be it.
Agree with you completely. So long as there is enough food for passengers I don't have a problem with staff helping themselves a bit. It strikes me as rather mean spirited to begrudge a guy on minimum wage an occassional bacon butty. If it takes a bit of free food to keep his morale up and doing his job well then so be it.

I never really undertsand why people get so petty and worked up by this kind of thing. I am getting free food to snack on so why would I bregrudge anyone else getting it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.