Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JustLanded
Are you sure that topping up paypal doesn't count as a cash advance? I think it says in the Ts&Cs that this type of transaction does not offer MR points and it would also attract interest. Can anyone confirm or dispel this?
I use my PayPal account (AMEX card default) to credit my PP top-up card for £1k a month. I then use the card to pay my PAYE or Corporation Tax. I have never paid any charges for this.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There are probably a couple of hundred FT'er happily loading Paypal cards from their Amex cards ... It SHOULD be a cash advance but Amex's IT is not clever enough to differentiate between different types of Paypal payment. Mastercard / Visa have higher quality IT monkeys.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by pazza2000

Has it tracked for anyone yet? I knew i would fret over this one.... small things for simple minds
Not tracked for me yet, but I wouldn't expect this kind of transaction to come up as tracked for at least a week, if not longer as it is tracking on a successful application, not just an application per se. It will need validating by AMEX and then it will be updated on Quidco.

As Raffles says, I have a lot of trust in Quidco sorting things out if it doesn't get tracked for any reason. However I expect it will be tracked, but it may take weeks to hit Quidco rather than days due to the nature of the product.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
No Quidco tracking here either, but when clicking on "Compose Earnings Enquiry" and looking under Amex, the correct time and date for my application shows up, so my settings were ok (cookies cleared etc).
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Thanks for this, Raffles, application approved.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC
No quidco tracking for me either but I made my peace with the value against £95 so if I can get the cashback it'll be a bonus.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by exBAcrew
No Quidco tracking here either, but when clicking on "Compose Earnings Enquiry" and looking under Amex, the correct time and date for my application shows up, so my settings were ok (cookies cleared etc).

N.B. that does not imply anything at all about whether your cookies were ok.
All it tells you is that was the time you clicked the quidco link.

If it says tracked, that the first time they have heard anything at all back from the merchant.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by exBAcrew
thank you this was really useful
I was fretting but i have checked this and at least it has a record that I clicked through the site
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by David-A
N.B. that does not imply anything at all about whether your cookies were ok.
All it tells you is that was the time you clicked the quidco link.

If it says tracked, that the first time they have heard anything at all back from the merchant.
Ah yes I see what you mean! Sorry if I've confused the issue ruthiepegs but as you say the record is there to put in an enquiry at a later date if needed. I have to say Quidco payments normally go through ok in my experience so fingers crossed, but £95 for 20000 miles isn't bad either!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:39 am

Having got the "wait 10 days" message at the weekend, I thought I'd give Amex a call today to check on my application - apparently approval has been given and the card is en route ^
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:42 am

Also applied and accepted, thanks Raffles ^

Now I am wondering whether I should cancel my old green Amex charge card or not. I am grandfathered with it so I still get the BA Amex PP+ card for free. My concern is that if I cancel it and keep this Gold Card Amex will start charging me £150 for the BA card!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Having got the "wait 10 days" message at the weekend, I thought I'd give Amex a call today to check on my application - apparently approval has been given and the card is en route ^
Did you give them payment details over the phone or did you have to finalise your online application?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Worth pointing out (in case you overlooked it like me) the travel inconvenience benefits with the card, which aren't too bad (though obviously nothing like the full Amex Plat insurance):

Travel Inconvenience Benefit
£200 for meals or hotels if your flight is delayed for over 4 hours. Or if you're left without luggage for more than 6 hrs, get up to £750 for toiletries and clothes

(need to have charged the flight to the card)
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by weirdfish
No quidco tracking for me either but I made my peace with the value against £95 so if I can get the cashback it'll be a bonus.
No peace made with a £95cost for me for me

Im going to use another 'PP Top-up Card' to load from it thus earning me 30,000 BA Miles(or *A miles) for £40(£35+£5).

Hoping in the future for a promo to come along where i can pay £1 per 1K miles
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:42 am

Does the paypal top up work equally well from an MBNA issued Amex as from a 'true' Amex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.