Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 business parking PRT people mover thing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

T5 business parking PRT people mover thing

As a bit of light relief from strike related postings...

...does anyone know what's happening with the PRT? Although the track has been complete for some time there does appear to be a lack of the promised electric-powered white elephants.

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything more recent than Nov 09, at which point there didn't really seem to be any conclusion about what was happening.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
Can't find any crew for it

More seriously, probably awaiting more approvals and testing
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
I'm sure i heard somewhere that they kept crashing into each other.... though there was a video on the BBC website about them.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I found something on the BAA website this month that said they would start service in "Spring 2010"! Please define!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:56 pm

They have had a few fundamental operational and organisational problems which I believe are all sorted now.

However they still need a minimum of six months user testing before they become fully operational. To the best of my knowledge, that testing is yet to commence, so it is still 6 months minimum away from opening.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by OPebble
I found something on the BAA website this month that said they would start service in "Spring 2010"! Please define!
Better be quick, Summer time starts in 2 weeks!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spanishflea
They have had a few fundamental operational and organisational problems which I believe are all sorted now.

However they still need a minimum of six months user testing before they become fully operational. To the best of my knowledge, that testing is yet to commence, so it is still 6 months minimum away from opening.
OK, good stuff. So, 6 months of testing, followed by 6 months to make sure they really have ironed out the bugs once the system's operational, then I can risk using it once before returning to my normal travel arrangements
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by spanishflea
Did they include the PRT thingies crashing into each other?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
ive seen them running, but i never knew what the hell they were. i just always assumed they were crew transport buggies from some crew parking lot!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've seen them running for a few months with no passengers

Originally they were due to be in service Nov 2009, then there was a big display in the groundside departures area promising Spring 2010 but since then nada.

They can't come soon enough in my opinion - last time I used T5 Business Parking a couple of weeks ago at 5.15am there was a 10 minute wait for a bus and 14 of us boarded when it finally appeared. Then on the return that evening I ran for the bus at Stand 22 and managed to catch it which was great but it was completely full... surely if there are more than 5 or 6 pax on the transfer buses then they are not frequent enough for a premium parking facility?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.