Wiki Posts
Search

BA exec question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
BA exec question

I am about to flight PHX-LHR-NCE and CDG-LHR-PHX twice next month in business with BA which should give me 34,972 miles and 1660 tiers.
I just opened my exec acct and to get to silver status I need 600 tiers pt and 4 BA flights, which I will have at this point.
Will I become silverthe right away? if so for how long?
Also BA only mentions tiers point and not miles to get to the next status level, will that mean that getting a chase BA visa 30K miles bonus will not help other than free upgrade/tickets?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:37 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to our BA forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:52 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Miles and tier points are not related. Miles buy you redemption fligfhts and tier points let you work through the Exec Club levels.

Once you have got enough tier points to get to silver they are rest to zero and you start again accruing tier points to get to gold. Your miles are untouched. When you are at gold, once you have renewed gold level the tier points are untouched until the end of your membership year.

It is pretty quick to get your silver status online although the silver card itself may take a few weeks depending where you hit the card ordering cycle.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by david-alexis
I am about to flight PHX-LHR-NCE and CDG-LHR-PHX twice next month in business with BA which should give me 34,972 miles and 1660 tiers.
How did you work that one out?

Each one of these return trips will get you 320 Tier points and roughly 8850 miles so a total of 640 and 17,700 miles.

Or have I misunderstood your plans?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I just opened my exec acct and to get to silver status I need 600 tiers pt and 4 BA flights, which I will have at this point.
Will I become silverthe right away? if so for how long?
Also BA only mentions tiers point and not miles to get to the next status level, will that mean that getting a chase BA visa 30K miles bonus will not help other than free upgrade/tickets?
How did you arrive at 1660 tier points?

PHX-LHR-NCE gives you 160 each way, or 320 round trip if all in CW/CE.

CDG-LHR-PHX gives you the same, again if all is in CW/CE.

so two round trips will give you just 640TPs, nowhere near 1660

You need 600 TPs to reach silver, then your account resets to 0 and you need further 1500 to reach gold.

A round trip to the east coast of the US gives you circa. 10,000 miles for a round trip, so a greater distance from the UK to PHX would give extra miles but not sure of the exact amount. Your 34k sounds about right though perhaps a little on the high side.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

I got it from an online calculator but it seemed high...
what does CW/CE mean?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
what does CW/CE mean?
Business Class: Club World (for the transatlantic)/Club Europe (for the European)
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:14 pm

what does CW/CE mean?
CW= Club World
CE = Club Europe

try this calculator

BA Calculator

Joejet
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

great thanks!
any advice on how to up my chances of getting an upper deck seat?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:33 pm

great thanks!
any advice on how to up my chances of getting an upper deck seat?
Hi david-alexis. Welcome to FlyerTalk!

If your flight is on a 744 and you want a seat on the upper deck but do not have oneworld sapphire or emerald status you will have to check in as early as possible (usually 24h before your scheduled departure). You should then be able to select an available seat, including those on the upper deck.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

last question:
I will be doing
RT from with CX SFO-HKG-BKK-HKG-SFO or 320 TP, on May 1st to 7th
Two RT (PHX-LHR-CDG in CW/CE or 640 TP on May 13-23 and the other in august.

Is it safe to assume that after the 2nd roundtrip @640TP I will get silver and my TP balance will be reset to zero? or to 40?
Also will my silver status start from the moment the 640 TP post on my account and be valid for 12 months from this date?
Finally would you accumulate as many miles on BA or open a marco polo acct?

Last edited by david-alexis; Mar 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:20 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
last question:
I will be doing
RT from with CX SFO-HKG-BKK-HKG-SFO or 320 TP, on May 1st to 7th
Two RT (PHX-LHR-CDG in CW/CE or 640 TP on May 13-23 and the other in august.

Is it safe to assume that after the 2nd roundtrip @640TP I will get silver and my TP balance will be reset to zero? or to 40?
Also will my silver status start from the moment the 640 TP post on my account and be valid for 12 months from this date?
Finally would you accumulate as many miles on BA or open a marco polo acct?
Yes on getting Silver your TP will be set to zero and you start accruing TP for Gold and you start counting BA metal flights (you need 4).

Yes as soon as you go over the silver TP your membership starts. It may take a day or so to register on BAEC, so be vigilent.

BAEC have a little quirk. Your membership year is 12 months but your card is valid for an extra month so that you can continue to enjoy silver while any outstanding TPs are processed or, heaven forbid, to give you a soft landing to blue if you don't make the renewal TPs.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Great thanks for the info guys, hoping I will get to try the upper seats in the 747.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.