Search

Thank You - British Airways Flyertalkers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
^ bealine and xxxxx

Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
In July my 2 adult sons will be booked YYZ-LHR-JNB-PLZ return. I have always had exceptional service with BA, and I want my boys to experience the same as I have. That trip is about $6000 (Canadian) out of my own pocket, not some company's expense account.... I have LOTS of confidence in the BA system - in spite of it's financial problems. It is too bad that the BBC and others are being devils advocates speaking against the employees and the hugh pension plan debt. In my country VIA Rail inherited significant financial problems (through governmental action), and yet they survive and give very good rail service. I expect BA to survive and to still need a LOT of employees to provide the service of a premium air carrier.

Unfortunately I have to Fly Kenyan Airways as BA does not fly (except via LHR) to JNB/PLZ from my location - that "detour" would just be double the price and time. But that is another story. My flights with BA are on hiatus (due to work commitments) until autumn... Alas, I cannot fly work-related stuff in my profession/vocation.

May the strike raise consciousness of all involved, and may workers and BA solve this "marital dispute" quickly.. Set the courts and politicians aside s.v.p.!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by TREKSTER1006
Some very nice comments in this thread, very nice to read.

I shall be working the 3 days in Terminal 3 doing all I can to help get passengers to their destinations.
Thanks to you too I'll be in T3, waving longingly at BA as I sulk off to the Emirates desk!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:43 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by bealine
Thank you for all the kind comments. I hope my colleagues will take the same comfort from reading them as I have. From what you guys say, and from the support for the airline from my colleagues, I firmly believe we will still have an airline to be proud of when the dust settles.

My number one loyalty is to British Airways and its customers.
I think we all know and that's why you and your colleagues are so highly valued.

Difficult to see from the current perspective but do rest assured that the current situation has very little adverse impact on strategic long-term loyalty. There is a short-term effect and there will be many people really upset by this and some permanently so. But in the end those with genuine loyalty when they see that WW is trying to cure this issue once and for all will drift back because there is a different depth of loyalty in terms of years around BA compared to younger and sometimes "better" airlines. In many ways this issue has cemented rather than weakened loyalty from those with genuine affinity with BA.

If you and your colleagues do your bit I think you'll find the customers will largely all be back and behind BA.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:43 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
All the best bealine, xxxxx and all the BA staff for these hard week ends to come ^
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Thank you for all the kind comments. I hope my colleagues will take the same comfort from reading them as I have. From what you guys say, and from the support for the airline from my colleagues, I firmly believe we will still have an airline to be proud of when the dust settles.

Just as an aside, I have always been a loyal trades union supporter but as a company and an employer, British Airways has always been fair and looked after me. I cannot sit back and watch all our efforts to cope with 09/11, BSE, SARS flushed down the toilet through childish stubborness on both sides.

My number one loyalty is to British Airways and its customers.

Well said, my Love, well said.

I rather think that if your communication skills and fair minded non-political-agenda - ing had been within Unite, we would not be at this seeming impasse.

Standing up for what is right is one thing, standing because you cannot or will not back down for fear of losing face or accepting reason is another.

The mighty and powerful at Unite, and those from British Airways Management have one thinkg in common. They have no face to face contact with our customers. You, other BA staff here, and I do.

It would not hurt any of them from Walsh down to walk down one or two aisles to meet the passengers and listen to them. Still, who knows they might and pigs might get clearance for take off.

Bealine is right - the majority of people on this Forum who actually do fly British Airways and who offer constructive critisism and even praise are worthy of note.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
It would not hurt any of them from Walsh down to walk down one or two aisles to meet the passengers and listen to them. Still, who knows they might and pigs might get clearance for take off.
I'm glad you said that, not me! Be better if they tried the actual work than mere handshakes, but everyone has to start somewhere I guess.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by uk1
In many ways this issue has cemented rather than weakened loyalty from those with genuine affinity with BA.
There may be a small group, but if you follow the Managers arguement that this is a commodity business, then most people simply don't care who they fly with. And if BA is truly still a high value branded business then the strike wasn't necessary because they could have pushed prices to cover the cost of the Cabin Crew. Which do you think it is?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:21 am
G*G

^

Sincere gratitude and utter respect to bealine and other colleagues fighting to keep a fine airline afloat!

Great shame to sit and watch what's going on from the sideline but as many others have posted - this sort of attitude, loyalty and dedication is part of what makes BA special.

Good luck this weekend - trust your example will make others come to their senses too!

^
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:30 am

I have huge respect for the customer facing staff at BA - they truly are some of the best, and I'm sure a lot of you are going to be under huge pressure over the next couple of weeks, coping with a lot of disgruntled passengers. I find it incredibly sad that the BA Managers can't figure out how to really leverage the asset they have.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:40 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by bernardd
Which do you think it is?
Which? Both of course!

And if BA is truly still a high value branded business then the strike wasn't necessary because they could have pushed prices to cover the cost of the Cabin Crew.
Your note perfectly demonstrates a fundamental thinking issue in that many people like you are only able to select and see things in a rather simplistic binary mode in an attempt to prove a rather erroneous point - in this case suggesting there is only a single type of customer. There are in fact dozens of different BA market segmentations.

I mentioned one appropriate in reply to people posting here ie those that congregate here and who mostly have a natrual affinity with BA and will tend to try and fly BA all things being equal, and you have highlighted another segment those who probably do not post here and are without any particular affinity who simply choose as a commodity. Both are core segments that BA has to attract and try to retain.

Which do you think it is?
BA needs to retain it's exisitng customers and constantly attract new ones. That involves providing the product people require at a competitive price which is what BA management is attempting to do.

I find it incredibly sad that the BA Managers can't figure out how to really leverage the asset they have.
Clearly they have a lot to learn from you. Why not apply for a job as a senior BA Manager, I'm sure they will welcome a man with your talent and insights with open arms!

Good luck.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by heckenhocker
Thanks to you too I'll be in T3, waving longingly at BA as I sulk off to the Emirates desk!
A nice wave and smile over at the connections desk would be much appreciated
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by xxxxx

My colleagues and I will be going everything we can to keep the flag flying this weekend, I'll be there this weekend and next.

Thank you to everyone. ^

Thanks to both of you. All the best for this weekend. It's such a shame that one group of your colleagues are prepared, through their actions, to make life difficult for you as well as us...
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
If anyone is about on Saturday or Sunday, I shall be in T5 trying to do my best!
bealine - sorry to come rather late to this thread but, a) good on you and the other BA staff who regularly post here who share your outlook and, b) now that it's Sunday evening, how did the weekend go?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

The weekend has gone well - I think most of our "guests" to whom I have spoken have just been glad to be on the move rather than worrying about the funny food being served or the strange aeroplanes and variety of uniforms which are helping British Airways to keep a service in place. The crews of the airlines drafted in to help have been doing a cracking job too and deserve thanks - I think they were a bit apprehensive initially (expecting a bit of hostility from the BA staff I expect) but I think they have warmed to us nicely!

I feel the people behind the scenes who put together the contingency plan, and those who have worked so hard to co-ordinate and keep the plan working smoothly, deserve recognition. Whilst I derive no pleasure from seeing my striking colleagues' efforts undermined, I am delighted that our customers are being looked after and that our terminal is not full of tales of misery and woe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.