Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: Club World

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by trustno1
In CW, is there such a thing as Screen Etiquette, i.e., is it frowned upon to put the screen up on boarding and leave it there for the whole flight?
The little sign on the seat says that it should be down for the safety demo, but I always tend to wait until the plane has taken off to put the screen up.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by GaryK84
The little sign on the seat says that it should be down for the safety demo, but I always tend to wait until the plane has taken off to put the screen up.
Etiquette? No. I'm pretty sure that your neighbour would want it up too, but may be embarrassed to do it for fear of offending you, so just do it. I put it up almost as soon as the safety demo is over. The FA walked through the cabin putting them up after the demo on my last flight anyway.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:50 am

Got a result (sort of) today. Had a look at my booking and checked seat availability. Low and behold 64A was now showing free on my SYD LHR sector. Paid for it but feel a little mugged. 96 euros lighter!!
There were a couple of annoyances in 64A on my last flight:

1) There was a noticeable floor bounce when anyone walked past my row. Is this normal for the UD or does it just affect row 64 or random rows on different 747s?

2) The toilet door did not completely close automatically and very few pax (or CC) took the trouble to close it. This means that the light shone directly in the fact of the occupant of 64A (in this case me).
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by SteveF
There were a couple of annoyances in 64A on my last flight:

1) There was a noticeable floor bounce when anyone walked past my row. Is this normal for the UD or does it just affect row 64 or random rows on different 747s?

2) The toilet door did not completely close automatically and very few pax (or CC) took the trouble to close it. This means that the light shone directly in the fact of the occupant of 64A (in this case me).
Floor bounce can happen on most aircraft and at varying points... It is not a specific thing to do with 64A...

Toilet door is something that is specific to that aircraft and that toilet. The door should close all the way, but sometimes, the spring needs to be "re-sprung" or the lock to keep the door open, which runs along a track at the top of the door frame needs to be pulled down a little bit more to make sure it does not stop the door closing all the way.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
In CW, is there such a thing as Screen Etiquette, i.e., is it frowned upon to put the screen up on boarding and leave it there for the whole flight?
I think that the most polite thing to do is put it up immediately on sitting down if it is not up already and irrespective of whether or not you have a seat opponent yet. You can always lower it if no seat opponent shows up.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
sometimes, the spring needs to be "re-sprung" or the lock to keep the door open
In my experience on about 25%-33% of flights on the UD the doors do not close properly. But of course one passenger's experience is not statistically significant.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
As mentioned already, it needs to be lowered for the safety demonstration, but as soon as that is finished, put it up if that is what you want. You will find that some crew will do it automatically as they go through securing the cabin...

But there is no set etiquette for it. Whatever you are comfortable with.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:34 pm

Hi there

I wasn't sure about CW etiquette either. After take off I thought please please put the screen up lol I didn't want to sit feeling uncomfortable so after about 5 minutes I asked whether he minded me putting the screen up and he did it for me.

Cue sigh of relief lol
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
As mentioned already, it needs to be lowered for the safety demonstration, but as soon as that is finished, put it up if that is what you want. You will find that some crew will do it automatically as they go through securing the cabin...

But there is no set etiquette for it. Whatever you are comfortable with.
I think that, especially if you are the first in your "cluster" to board, you should put it up immediately, then lower it for takeoff when the crew requests you do so. That way, as soon as the wheels are up, you have a precedent for putting the screen back up, and it's less awkward.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:59 pm

Hi All,

I would greatly appreciate any insight into the following situation.

Recently I booked BA219 LHR/DEN for 21st October next through BAEC. Tried to book First but was advised that CW was the highest cabin available on this route. No problem with this...would much prefer to avail of a direct flight in CW rather than a transit trip in F.

Went to book my seats on line yesterday and found that CW began at row 10 with what appears to be a First cabin in rows 1 - 4. Rang BAEC to try and upgrade our booking but was advised that they were not selling First on this route, nor was it possible to book one of these seats even without the First standard of service.

My questions are as follows: (1) will the aircraft fly with an empty First cabin? (2) is there any way possible of reserving one of these seats? (3) is BA likely to change the aircraft closer to the date of travel?

Any insight is genuinely appreciated.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Riverliffey
Hi All,

I would greatly appreciate any insight into the following situation.

Recently I booked BA219 LHR/DEN for 21st October next through BAEC. Tried to book First but was advised that CW was the highest cabin available on this route. No problem with this...would much prefer to avail of a direct flight in CW rather than a transit trip in F.

Went to book my seats on line yesterday and found that CW began at row 10 with what appears to be a First cabin in rows 1 - 4. Rang BAEC to try and upgrade our booking but was advised that they were not selling First on this route, nor was it possible to book one of these seats even without the First standard of service.

My questions are as follows: (1) will the aircraft fly with an empty First cabin? (2) is there any way possible of reserving one of these seats? (3) is BA likely to change the aircraft closer to the date of travel?

Any insight is genuinely appreciated.
I am looking on ExpertFlyer right now, and it does indeed show a four-class 777, selling as three-class, with almost all the F cabin seats blocked. It does, however, show seats 1 A and K listed as premium (instead of completely blocked) seats, so if you are Gold then I imagine you could snag one of these.

If I had to guess, I'd say this was done to allow them the operational flexibility to substitute in a three-class 777 without having a) oversold the cabin by up to 14 seats and b) having to re-seat numerous pax (some of whom will now be away from traveling companions they were previously next to, others of whom will be unhappy with the lesser seats).

Further, if this aircraft remains the aircraft for the actual flight, my guess is that those blocked seats would open 24hrs in advance.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by JumboD
I am looking on ExpertFlyer right now, and it does indeed show a four-class 777, selling as three-class, with almost all the F cabin seats blocked. It does, however, show seats 1 A and K listed as premium (instead of completely blocked) seats, so if you are Gold then I imagine you could snag one of these.

If I had to guess, I'd say this was done to allow them the operational flexibility to substitute in a three-class 777 without having a) oversold the cabin by up to 14 seats and b) having to re-seat numerous pax (some of whom will now be away from traveling companions they were previously next to, others of whom will be unhappy with the lesser seats).

Further, if this aircraft remains the aircraft for the actual flight, my guess is that those blocked seats would open 24hrs in advance.

My flight back from UVF in August last year went from 3-class 777 to 4-class 777- IIRC, the F cabin was apparently opened to Golds only at T-72 according to the check in assistant at UVF. I got 13K in the actual CW cabin which was fine for me, but the flight was full in CW (with CW pax in F cabin and CW cabin), I only got my 3rd meal choice, the plane was non AVOD and the crew were grouchy. Complete opposite to the outbound flight! I realised how lucky I was to be in CW when I walked down the plane to stretch my legs- WT+ and WT both rammed full with cranky pax and crying babies- when I got back to the CW cabin which was almost silent (as most pax were asleep) it made me realise how lucky I actually was!

At least I got a great night's sleep in the bed and the bacon roll was also lovely- I got served by the 1 excellent crew member who even woke me up exactly as I asked 1 and a half hours before landing with a nice cup of coffee
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:53 pm

On the 777-200 4 class. Which aisle is preferred J with the 1 seat next to you or G with the 3 seats next to you in the middle?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikey2124
My flight back from UVF in August last year went from 3-class 777 to 4-class 777- IIRC, the F cabin was apparently opened to Golds only at T-72 according to the check in assistant at UVF. I got 13K in the actual CW cabin which was fine for me, but the flight was full in CW (with CW pax in F cabin and CW cabin), I only got my 3rd meal choice, the plane was non AVOD and the crew were grouchy. Complete opposite to the outbound flight! I realised how lucky I was to be in CW when I walked down the plane to stretch my legs- WT+ and WT both rammed full with cranky pax and crying babies- when I got back to the CW cabin which was almost silent (as most pax were asleep) it made me realise how lucky I actually was!

At least I got a great night's sleep in the bed and the bacon roll was also lovely- I got served by the 1 excellent crew member who even woke me up exactly as I asked 1 and a half hours before landing with a nice cup of coffee
Presumably, if CW was full (and all CW and F seats were taken), then a lot of people had unassigned seats at check-in and were pleasantly surprised with the F seat. I imagine that 72hrs is when they'd fully committed to using that aircraft type, hence allowing Golds to select the F seats, and then after that it would either be first come first serve or assignment at the airport.

As to the flight crew, wouldn't you be a bit peeved if you found out that your workload had increased by 30% because of an aircraft swap (unless they also increased the crew allotment, which I doubt they'd do unless required by crew to pax ratio regulations).
Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Would like some help regarding this,

I'm flying with my wife (LHR-SFO) on the 70J 747 in Club World.

I've done the LAX trip on the UD and always got 64A which I love. I'm wondering if it's better this time to get on the LD on the E,F seats or will 64A/B will be good?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.