Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Master Thread - The OT strike moan and whine thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread - The OT strike moan and whine thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: WestJet Dollars, BAEC, Aeroplan, AirMiles, IHG, BW and others
BOOOOOOO at Unite and the striking BA cabin crew.

Be grateful you've got jobs and overpaid ones at that.

Get over yourselves. You are not much different to supermarket checkout staff and waitresses.

Joint the real world.

PS I hope you like being hated by the public.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by kirky

While I can agree with that.

Get over yourselves. You are not much different to supermarket checkout staff and waitresses.
I can't agree with this. That's a bit of a simplistic and derogatory comment.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Continental OnePass
I can't agree with this. That's a bit of a simplistic and derogatory comment.
Agreed, it's a little strong but people have to get over themselves. This is a forum for PASSENGERS, it is NOT Pprune . A lot of people have had plans mucked up and are rightly feeling peed off....yet still we have people telling us to calm down and not to berate the cabin crew or BA.

Whilst I actually dont blame the crew (rather, those clowns Unite and that t*sser Walsh who between them have played this little game out at the expense of 1000s of pax), people ARE entitled to their opinions...if you don't like them, then unlucky...suck it up...or go elsewhere.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:27 am

hi to all on this thread thinking of all who may be embroiled on supposed strike dates i feel fro you as i just made it back yesterday on the flight i had booked in august this blooming strike threat was looming 3 weeks ago my thoughts are with you .
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
I think most schools break up the following week on 1 April (no joke).
Ours break up on 1st April. We take them out of school at 11am that day and by 3.30pm all being well we will be terrorising / charming * the F cabin on the way to the US..!

* delete as appropriate
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Exec (Silver), SPG (corporate), IHG
talk about generalising

Joint the real world.

PS I hope you like being hated by the public.

please be aware that when it comes to remuneration not all cabin crew and indeed not all BA cabin crew are equal, i think you would be surprised at just some of the actual 's that crew (particularly those base at LGW) take home

whilst i would not wish to down play the role of supermarket checkout assistants or waiting staff (and having received training for neither I comment from an uninformed position) I do think there is quite a difference between those roles and that of cabin crew,

for example regularly dealing with medical situations, carrying out security checks, being trained to fight fires, save lives, evacuating aircraft, physical restraint of dangerous passengers and constantly being ready to respond to a myriad of safety situations are all in addition to offering you tea/coffee and all of which is assessed in practical and theory exams on an annual basis.

i can scan my own shopping now and that is a breeze compared to working in an metal tube at 39k feet!!

finally, please don't assume that all cabin crew are the same

JJ
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:59 pm

I have my partner booked to fly JFK-LDN on the 24th (the return leg of a LDN-JFK booking) of March at 9am - not a strike date but the booking indicates that his flight may be disrupted.

What are the chances of the flight actually taking off, any idea? On tenterhooks waiting for the revised flight schedule to be posted tomorrow at 2pm!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Am I reading the strike pages of ba.com correct when they say that on flights over 9 hours, there will be no hot meals, including in First and Club?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:51 pm

I am BA crew - I voted No in the ballot and am against the strike and the stupidity of Unite/BASSA. Fed up of the militants and do not want to see our great airline go under (and our jobs aswell!)

But I do get annoyed when I have seen the comments on here (and various other sources) saying we are just overpaid waiters. As jumpseat jock quite rightly stated, there are so many different payscales and contracts at BA. There are some who are paid probably double the amount of Virgin et al, but many on the new contract are paid similar to charters and easyjet. BA LGW probably get less than easyjet, around the same if they are lucky! Most of us especially new contracts are paid very normal rates and contrary to reports - we can't afford 2 properties, mercs, etc etc... just a normal wage.

And we are not just the same as supermarket staff and waitresses. Not dumbing down these jobs as these jobs can be taxing (not on the brain but with customers shouting, rushing, high pressure, having to provide excellent service under pressure. Why should waitresses be looked down upon anyway - why the superiority complex of some??) But we're trained in advanced first aid (including defibrillator training and training to give emergency medication) and evacuations, firefighting, decompressions, hijack, bomb threat, security checks, communication, CRM, planned emergencies and ditchings, dealing with a variety of emergencies. We are a crucial part of the day to day safe and secure operation of the flight. So I don't take kindly to people saying ''we are no more than supermarket assistants!)

Anyway - I am really sorry for you all with regards to this strike and I do hope that Unite come to their senses! For all of our sake! Our customers and all employees of BA! It musn't be nice for those of you with flights booked in the strike period! But rest assured that there will be plenty of us who will come to work to keep the flag flying!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
Am I reading the strike pages of ba.com correct when they say that on flights over 9 hours, there will be no hot meals, including in First and Club?
Yes. Hardly a big deal as the food isn't exactly the strongest point of either product. There is also the infamous Club microwave
for those that wish to brave it.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by bluetray
I am BA crew - I voted No in the ballot and am against the strike and the stupidity of Unite/BASSA. Fed up of the militants and do not want to see our great airline go under (and our jobs aswell!)

But I do get annoyed when I have seen the comments on here (and various other sources) saying we are just overpaid waiters. As jumpseat jock quite rightly stated, there are so many different payscales and contracts at BA. There are some who are paid probably double the amount of Virgin et al, but many on the new contract are paid similar to charters and easyjet. BA LGW probably get less than easyjet, around the same if they are lucky! Most of us especially new contracts are paid very normal rates and contrary to reports - we can't afford 2 properties, mercs, etc etc... just a normal wage.

And we are not just the same as supermarket staff and waitresses. Not dumbing down these jobs as these jobs can be taxing (not on the brain but with customers shouting, rushing, high pressure, having to provide excellent service under pressure. Why should waitresses be looked down upon anyway - why the superiority complex of some??) But we're trained in advanced first aid (including defibrillator training and training to give emergency medication) and evacuations, firefighting, decompressions, hijack, bomb threat, security checks, communication, CRM, planned emergencies and ditchings, dealing with a variety of emergencies. We are a crucial part of the day to day safe and secure operation of the flight. So I don't take kindly to people saying ''we are no more than supermarket assistants!)

Anyway - I am really sorry for you all with regards to this strike and I do hope that Unite come to their senses! For all of our sake! Our customers and all employees of BA! It musn't be nice for those of you with flights booked in the strike period! But rest assured that there will be plenty of us who will come to work to keep the flag flying!
Thanks bluetray. Welcome to FT, not seen your posts on here even though you've been a member since Dec 09.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:06 am

Bloody Ridiculous!!

Anybody else think the staff at BA are daft?

They should be happy to have jobs, and if they keep going they may not be glorified waitresses with attitude anymore....they will be serving at McDonalds as the airline will go tits up!

Our firm has today announced that no flights are to be booked with BA and for all transatlantic flights, we should use Virgin.

In the last 12 months, my Division has made 1374 return flights Heathrow to New York. I am one of 26 Divisions!

It does irritate me when there are so many people struggling just to make ends meet and these idiots behave in this way.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by bluetray

Welcome to the board bluetray
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Yes. Hardly a big deal as the food isn't exactly the strongest point of either product. There is also the infamous Club microwave
for those that wish to brave it.
I would expect some serious compensation if I'd paid thousands of pounds for a J/F ticket and didn't get a hot meal and/or full meal service.

How hard is it to put the food in the oven and present it nicely on the plate (in F)? It's not as if they have to cook it from scratch. The trained crew onboard could show the voluntary crew how to open and close the oven door and press the On button surely?

How can they provide hot food on flights under 9 hours but not on flights over 9 hours? Completely illogical!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
I would expect some serious compensation if I'd paid thousands of pounds for a J/F ticket and didn't get a hot meal and/or full meal service.
Really? I'd expect cash for not having a flat bed or being 24 hours due to the airlines fault. But having to eat a cold meal instead of hot (and with the compensatory provision of extra food on the ground, more Club kitchen products). I frankly don't care at all for a short period but might feel differently if this still was going on 6 months hence.

I flew F last night, total consumpton on entire flight 1 glass champagne and 2 glasses of wine, no food at all. 2/3 of the cabin did similar so I'd warrant for many core BA premium pax this won't be a big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.