Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of meal choice in F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Wrong way round. Once when I didn't get my meal choice in club, I got a light meal from F (as well as extra club food) to compensate.

There was an extenuating circumstance. It was a mistake as they hadn't realised until they were halfway through meal service how few of my chosen starter they had loaded. I guessed from seat pre-assignment that (somewhat unusually) I was one of only about two status pax on the upper deck, and I asked rather pointedly on what basis they decided who got first choice. They knew exactly what I meant and were very apologetic but said they could hardly swipe a dish they'd already given out from under someone's nose. The treat from F came as a surprise a bit later. ^

If you think it all sounds like DYKWIA behaviour, well it was in a way, but it was said with a smile and a twinkle in the eye.
And theres me thinking you had dirt in your eye.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
I'm a lowly Blue so no status. But this was F, not Economy. As I said earlier, I was philosophical that my first choice wasn't available, but very surprised (and miffed!) that my second choice was also unavailable. The other 2 choices were both beef - so I was effectively left with no choice at all.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not an excuse but if the cabin is not full there is more chance of you not getting your first choice.
On your flight there would have been 4 beef, 3 chicken, 2 fish and 2 of the 4th choice.
CIHY
May I hijack this for a moment, I am traveling with the OH to MIA in July in First. She has recently stopped eating red meat, but does eat chicken and fish. Note, we are both lowly blues.

On a 14 seat 747, what is the usual ratio of meals? (Only 11 meals listed above).

I assume the safest course would be to simply order a vegetarian meal; a shame if there is a nice bit of fish on the menu as I know the OH wouldn't countenance rejecting a specially ordered meal.

Out of interest, can anyone enlighten me as to what sort of meal they serve vegetarians in F ex-UK and ex-US
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
She could order a seafood meal - my wife usually does on European flights.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by dmahon
She could order a seafood meal - my wife usually does on European flights.
Hadn't thought of that, thanks for the good idea.

Next question - anyone got an example of an F seafood meal?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Maybe the crew ate your meal?

I've had this happen to me, although they wouldn't say it like that of course. But having your meal much later then the rest of the cabin is a definite risk, even if they take your meal order in advance. So much for eat when you like.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
I didn't have my meal later than the rest of the cabin - we all gave our orders at the same time, with my order being taken last. But if only 2 fish and 3 chicken meals were loaded there was a very real possibility that at least 1 passenger would get neither their first nor second choice. That doesn't meet my expectations of First.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:27 pm

I'm sorry but having no choice of meal on ANY reputable Long Haul carrier in F is really bloody disgusting. I'm such a snob that I'll only fly FIRST on BA LH or CE SH because the product (not the service) has taken a lovely swan dive over the past year or so.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Hadn't thought of that, thanks for the good idea.

Next question - anyone got an example of an F seafood meal?
I was going to suggest airlinemeals - BritishAirways but then I noticed that theyt have a special meals section and BA do not appear under the seafood option - Sorry.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
You're not comparing like for like I'm afraid. CX leaves BA for dead pretty much everywhere.

BAH
LX says they do this too, 1 of each for every F pax... unsure how many choices they have.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by jgva
LX says they do this too, 1 of each for every F pax... unsure how many choices they have.
You simply cannot compare LX food in F with BA's! The quality is outstanding.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by aristoph
You simply cannot compare LX food in F with BA's! The quality is outstanding.
So you don't rate LX food then
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Jennyjo
I'm a lowly Blue so no status. But this was F, not Economy. As I said earlier, I was philosophical that my first choice wasn't available, but very surprised (and miffed!) that my second choice was also unavailable. The other 2 choices were both beef - so I was effectively left with no choice at all.
I dont think it is excusable that neither 1st or 2nd choice was available. While I appreciate there are systems in place to decide who gets priority and fair enough, but when someone is paying thousands to travel in 1st or using an awful lot of miles there should be no excuse for not having enough choices to be able to manipulate it so everyone at least gets their second choice!

The other thing that jumps out is if there are 4 meal choices they should all be different! By having 2 beef options it makes half the menu beef, if you dont like beef like the OP and my wife would have been the same you are pretty much stuffed! (well pardon the pun but actually anything but stuffed i guess)!

Seems bad planning of both the number of meals loaded and on the menu choices to me!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not an excuse but if the cabin is not full there is more chance of you not getting your first choice.
On your flight there would have been 4 beef, 3 chicken, 2 fish and 2 of the 4th choice.
CIHY
Why do BA think premium pax prefer beef? Surely BA must realise that many choose not to eat red meat. Still this is BA management after all who do not listen to pax and cabin crew.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Why do BA think premium pax prefer beef? Surely BA must realise that many choose not to eat red meat. Still this is BA management after all who do not listen to pax and cabin crew.
Only you could answer that, I wouldn't dare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.