Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Somewhat OT: BA cabin size 4-wheel bag available in London?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Somewhat OT: BA cabin size 4-wheel bag available in London?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by London Dude
Harrods and Selfridges have large luggage depts stocking luxury and unusual brands along with the cheaper stuff. It may be worth dropping by if only to get a few ideas, and compare various models (I agree with the weight issue, BTW.)

Also the sales are on (and Harrods has a 10% off weekend for Harrods cardholders this Saturday and Sunday!)
Good suggestion, thanks London Dude. Not that I need an excuse to visit those two stores, but I will definitely look there next week. In fact I have had a good experience at both luggage departments and have bought a few things from there already.

Originally Posted by galleyslave
Just a thought, some of the crew have Travelpro cabin bags not sure if any of theirs would be suitable
Thank you Galleyslave. I'll look up the Travelpro website and see what I find.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The 21" Expandable Carry-On Spinner Suiter is looking quite suitable (no pun intended). Thank you very much! I'll ask around at some luggage shops in London. The only issue is its weight - 4.5kg. It might well be impossible to find a very light semi-rigid spinner case.
Other than going to a much smaller spinner tote (some here) weighing anywhere from 2-3kg I would tend to agree.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Other than going to a much smaller spinner tote (some here) weighing anywhere from 2-3kg I would tend to agree.
I think a small spinner tote would be a bit too small, although I would look for it and see. Thank you once again!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAGold PCGold HH LH EK blahblah...
++Quote---- Originally Posted by London Dude
Tumi also makes great lightweight cases under the Voyageur brand. I saw and played with this model at Harrods back in July:

http://uk.tumi.com/product/product-d...ms=lightweight

It's an extremely light Tumi quality item and almost bought it for 40% off at the July sales, but decided not to because they only had it in red, which I didn't like. ...../Quote++ (still working on figuring out the quote/reply system here )
Originally Posted by FenLandK
I'd need more than 40% off at that price - £475!!!!
I love all my Tumi's! They last forever.** I love all my Rimowa's even more. They last forever, too.** They are truly well worth the price when you travel a bit. The only luggage I travel with anymore (when I quote Olympia Dukakis from Steel Magnolias "I love you more than my luggage" you can bank that it's pretty serious love!).

**Until T5 automated luggage gets hold of it. Crushed, gouged & killed my brand new, first-time-ever-used gigantor Rimowa 4 wheel spinner. It came off the baggage carousel in a body bag.**
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:47 pm

I've got the 22" version of this. The picture shows a larger version, but you can clearly see the pockets in this website. Bit over your 3.5kg weight limit though.

Has great front pockets - a shallow-ish one that is perfect for the liquids bag, passport, book, and a full length one perfect for the laptop between security and the lounge, or papers that you want handy.

It *just* fits in the frame for hand baggage, and can be expanded for the hold for those "oops I went shopping" moments!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heckenhocker
I've got the 22" version of this. The picture shows a larger version, but you can clearly see the pockets in this website. Bit over your 3.5kg weight limit though.

Has great front pockets - a shallow-ish one that is perfect for the liquids bag, passport, book, and a full length one perfect for the laptop between security and the lounge, or papers that you want handy.

It *just* fits in the frame for hand baggage, and can be expanded for the hold for those "oops I went shopping" moments!
It sounds ideal, and looks good. Thank you very much! I'll definitely go and look around for it. If it's just a little over the 3.5kg limit, that's not too bad either.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:15 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

22in is right on the BA size limit, but bigger than many European and Asian cabin bag limits. Not sure if that's particularly relevant to your travel patterns.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It sounds ideal, and looks good. .
Looks good?

It's red....well seen you're a woman.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold
Got a couple of Rimowa Topaz cases but they stay in the cupboard and I use my samsonite f-lite. Think the aluminium ones are overly flashy.... reading this thready has made my consider bringing out the spinner for a check in case.

Tumi all the way for carry on. Don't look flashy and the material is extremely tough. Mine looks like new, bar the wheels.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Looks good?

It's red....well seen you're a woman.

Would have preferred it to be burgundy colour but I can live with red.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:57 am
JSC

Originally Posted by London Dude
Delsey makes excellent lightweight trolleys under the Valaguzza brand. They also look quite stylish and the more affordable line is always 50% off at the Harrods sales, so it's about 50 quid for a cabin size model (items on the other V line cost four times as much.)
+1
The one I have meets all of the OP's criteria except for 4 wheels but is also expandable.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I have a Samsonite 55 Spinner purchased at the Rolling Luggage store ate T4 a few years ago.

It has 4 wheels (how did I ever cope with 2!), exapandable, strong soft material and sturdy handle, TSA combinatin lock attached to side of case, meets carry on size limit, lots of well thought out pickets, separate compartments, very stylish looking and lightweight.

It cost me £140 a few years ago but it's worth every penny.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by JSC
+1
The one I have meets all of the OP's criteria except for 4 wheels but is also expandable.
Yes I know, but I was referring to lightweight luggage in general.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

I popped into Harrods today to see what they have.

The only soft case with 4 wheels that was light enough was a Delsey Fiber Lite at 2.9kg. The case itself was a little small (32 litres I think), which is the only reason why I haven't quite bought it yet, but it looked good enough.

If I can't find something a little larger, I think I'll go for this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.