FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Somewhat OT: BA cabin size 4-wheel bag available in London? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1039238-somewhat-ot-ba-cabin-size-4-wheel-bag-available-london.html)

LTN Phobia Jan 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Somewhat OT: BA cabin size 4-wheel bag available in London?

My apologies for the somewhat OT post, but it sounds like quite a few of you are at least somewhat stylish and quite discerning about what you carry, so I thought I'd seek your help.

I am looking to replace my Samsonite black label cabin size 4-wheel spinner because of its unsuitable external pocket.

What I am looking for is:

- A cabin-sized case (must be BA approved size)

- With a decent external pocket that can accommodate a fat 1-litre baggie without looking distorted so that I do not need to open the main compartment to get the bag out (this basically rules out hard cases)

- Sub-3.5 kg, but lighter the better

- Must have 4 wheels

- Preferably not the clamshell type, although not essential

- Needs to be available from a physical shop in London so that I can have a look

- Not the Samsonite Sahora - I have one already and not too happy with its weight/capacity ratio

- Need the handle to consist of two bars (as opposed to a single retractable bar in the middle - does that make sense?) so that I can put a laptop bag onto it

- It has to look nice ( :p )

Colour, price is not an important consideration.

Any help would be gratefully received, because I have not had any luck finding a suitable one so far.

OPebble Jan 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Next time you are in T5 have a look in the Tumi shop which is landside way down the south end - even south of south security. ISTR it is behind the Club bag drop desks.

LTN Phobia Jan 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by OPebble (Post 13174843)
Next time you are in T5 have a look in the Tumi shop which is landside way down the south end - even south of south security. ISTR it is behind the Club bag drop desks.

I did indeed look on Monday - they did not have anything suitable, even though I actually fancied a Tumi :(

I find that their bags tend to be quite heavy.

OPebble Jan 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 13174862)
I did indeed look on Monday - they did not have anything suitable, even though I actually fancied a Tumi :(

I find that their bags tend to be quite heavy.

The other thing to try is have a look on their web site and if you see something you fancy ask them to get a sample to the T5 shop so you can have a look. Or if you aren't in a particular hurry look on the web site and next time you go past the shop do the same thing and ask them to get one in on appro.

LTN Phobia Jan 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks OPebble, that's a good idea! I'll have a look at their website.

My beloved shopping bag is Tumi - it's tough but looks nice - so I really do fancy getting a Tumi.

tupacd Jan 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Have you tried the Trunki Gruffalo, available in several leading high street shops. Feel with all the delays we are having it could be very practical and a wise purchase!
:)

LTN Phobia Jan 13, 2010 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by tupacd (Post 13174973)
Have you tried the Trunki Gruffalo, available in several leading high street shops. Feel with all the delays we are having it could be very practical and a wise purchase!

LOL, I have just had to Google it because I had never heard of it.
I really like this one with fangs and horns http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trunki-Gruff.../dp/B002GKC0ZK :D

galleyslave Jan 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Lol, I like the Ladybird one and would probably get one but it is most definitely NOT BA uniform standard!!!:D

What about Mandarina Duck? Although not sure they have 4 wheels

Railroad flyer Jan 13, 2010 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 13175005)
LOL, I have just had to Google it because I had never heard of it.
I really like this one with fangs and horns http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trunki-Gruff.../dp/B002GKC0ZK :D

Thats brilliant! Definitely getting one of these for my cousin's son! ^

LTN Phobia Jan 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by galleyslave (Post 13175068)
What about Mandarina Duck? Although not sure they have 4 wheels

I have been looking at Mandarina Duck.

I recently bought a Mandarina Duck 'Drop' 4-wheel suitcase (what a name though - it's like "Heeeey drop me!") which I really love, especially the colour (it's sort of burgundy colour).

But the cabin size seems to only have a 2-wheel version and also no external pocket. In fact, I haven't yet been able to find a 4-wheel cabin bag from Mandarina Duck yet. If you do see one, please let me know.

Kgmm77 Jan 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The general feeling in the Travel Products sub-forum (where all the luggage gurus reside, lots of great advice there) is that whilst 4 wheel 'spinners' are useful for large checkin suitcases, they are a waste for a cabin bag as unlike a bigger heavier bag, it can easily be manouvered on 2 wheels anyway.

If you search the travel product sub-forum you'll get some recommendations anyhow.

LTN Phobia Jan 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77 (Post 13175290)

The general feeling in the Travel Products sub-forum (where all the luggage gurus reside, lots of great advice there) is that whilst 4 wheel 'spinners' are useful for large checkin suitcases, they are a waste for a cabin bag as unlike a bigger heavier bag, it can easily be manouvered on 2 wheels anyway.

I have had a number of 2 wheel ones and 4 wheel ones and I do much prefer 4-wheeled ones. Much easier to manoeuvre around the airport shops! :D

If you search the travel product sub-forum you'll get some recommendations anyhow.
Thanks, unfortunately I have had no luck there, as many recommendations are online stores or only available in the US. I'd like to look and feel the item before I commit to it, so that I don't end up with even more wheeled cabin bags (I already have five knocking around here).

BAAZ Jan 14, 2010 2:51 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 13175345)
I have had a number of 2 wheel ones and 4 wheel ones and I do much prefer 4-wheeled ones. Much easier to manoeuvre around the airport shops! :D

The problem is that the spinners on the 4 wheel design take up much more length. Since the BA cabin luggage size limits include wheels etc, you're giving up I'd guess 5-8cm of real luggage length which is a significant sacrifice that most people aren't prepared to pay. So I'm not surprised that there isn't much out there.

LTN Phobia Jan 14, 2010 3:32 am

Originally Posted by BAAZ (Post 13178376)
The problem is that the spinners on the 4 wheel design take up much more length. Since the BA cabin luggage size limits include wheels etc, you're giving up I'd guess 5-8cm of real luggage length which is a significant sacrifice that most people aren't prepared to pay. So I'm not surprised that there isn't much out there.

You are right indeed, when I come to think of it.

I think my search will just have to continue...

Flying Flis Jan 14, 2010 3:52 am

Have you tried Antler? They do a huge range of cases.