Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Executive Club -Stopover Rule

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:34 am
Original Poster

After recently booking a domestic award (within US), using BA miles on AA metal, i was told that BA only allows one stopover in each direction (not including final destination) for a domestic award. I didn't inquire directly with the agent about international stopover limits.

LIT-MIA (stop)-EYW (final dest. stop) on the outbound, EYW-MIA-ORD (stop)-LIT (final dest. stop) on the inbound.

Cost= 25,000 miles + $10 per r/t ticket

Last edited by frankiwa; Apr 7, 2010 at 11:29 am
Old Apr 14, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA
Change of plan, we are not going to SA til Sept 2011. Otherwise, i can report my success or failure to squeeze so many cities in 1 award ticket. Hope that BA EC does not change their stopover rule. Too bad that most of SA countries require visa for US citizens, and they are quite expensive for 1-2 day stopovers, and they do add up quite a lot. Otherwise, it will be a lot more fun.
Thanks for all the great advices.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Would BAEC permit US to South Africa via Asia on a one-parter award (eg SFO-HKG-JNB)?

Looking for two flights, one ticketed by Alaska which explicitly permits this.

But I do know it's about 30% more flown miles than SFO-LHR-JNB and exceeds the MPM for the route (which assumes an Atlantic crossing I believe).

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I don't know the answer, but if you can't do this on CX then there isn't a single partner you could do it on. Not sure that argument carries the day, and the BA site is really light on rules related to the single partner award. I'd be interested in what you find out if you try to book this, I'd like to try that one out too if it does work.

Originally Posted by gleff
Would BAEC permit US to South Africa via Asia on a one-parter award (eg SFO-HKG-JNB)?

Looking for two flights, one ticketed by Alaska which explicitly permits this.

But I do know it's about 30% more flown miles than SFO-LHR-JNB and exceeds the MPM for the route (which assumes an Atlantic crossing I believe).

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
In the end just grabbed the second seat via AS (140k all -in for the roundtrip)
Old May 2, 2010, 3:05 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Slightly off-topic, perhaps, but does anyone know if, when booking a Club World redemption ticket London-Los Angeles-Honolulu and return, the domestic AA segments are booked in First Class (as AA has no Business Class product on this route)?

Would there be any time limit for free stopovers in Los Angeles?

Many thanks.
Old May 2, 2010, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA J books into 2-cabin AA Y. You need an F award for AA F
Old May 2, 2010, 6:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

BA J books into 2-cabin AA Y. You need an F award for AA F
To clarify, BA.com books into two cabin coach. If booked offline, the connecting AA flight(s) book into two cabin first ^
Old May 5, 2010, 2:23 pm

Only 1 stopover on BA?

I am planning on going to South America this summer and want to maximize BA miles from SFO. I am thinking of doing Easter Island and the routing goes through LIM and SCL, but the agent said they only allow 1 stopover, is this true? I want to stop in both!
Old May 5, 2010, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one stopover per direction
Old May 5, 2010, 4:14 pm

one stopover per direction
Is this a recent development? Seems like one poster earlier in the thread was able to do a double stop on a domestic award on AA, then a later poster said only one stop per direction. Maybe they're just clamping down on an already existing (hidden or unpublished?) rule.
Old May 5, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by EricTheNerd
Is this a recent development? Seems like one poster earlier in the thread was able to do a double stop on a domestic award on AA, then a later poster said only one stop per direction. Maybe they're just clamping down on an already existing (hidden or unpublished?) rule.
Also, my question. I routinly do two in their hubs and was told by their rep if routing allows, there is no limit.
Old May 18, 2010, 2:00 am

One more question about BAEC awards to SA: for the purpose of stopovers, are all the airlines in the Grupo Lan considered a single airline? E.g., if I wanted to go IPC-SCL-LIM, where the second segment is on Lan Peru, but the first is on Lan Chile, could I stopover in SCL?
Old May 18, 2010, 3:21 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by honu
One more question about BAEC awards to SA: for the purpose of stopovers, are all the airlines in the Grupo Lan considered a single airline? E.g., if I wanted to go IPC-SCL-LIM, where the second segment is on Lan Peru, but the first is on Lan Chile, could I stopover in SCL?
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but any time I've searched on ba.com for SA flight awards only the LAN Chile codeshares come up. That includes LIM-SCL, SFO-LIM, LIM-EZE, etc. So although you may be flying LAN Peru it seems your flights will all be booked through LAN Chile so it should be simple.

Incidentally the written T&Cs don't seem to prevent multiple stops but do mention direct routing:

13.8. There are no charges for stopovers included in an Award itinerary. Where stopovers are at connecting points on the most direct route between origin and destination.
Old May 18, 2010, 5:07 pm

Just a thought...?

Could somebody please confirm a few things about the stop over rules to me please.

Am i correct in saying that i could not include a stop over in Las Vegas en route to LA(or visa versa) as BA fly direct to both. However i could include a stopover in LA en route to Hawaii for the same mileage as this is the standard connection?

However i could not do this using am AMEX 2-4-1 redemption as all flights must be flown on BA(& i also must depart from the UK as opposed to say Switzerland etc).

Last edited by pazza2000; May 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.