Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Executive Club -Stopover Rule

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frankiwa
I was REALLY hoping someone would verify this in the affirmative from their own recent experience^.

So if i could find a nice (full of connections, yet fairly direct) route to India from the U.S., then i can stop at quite a few places in Asia en route to India. Sorta turn this simple award ticket into a mini-halfway-RTW ticket.
You probably dont understand how airlines routes are developed.

Airlines cannot fly just anywhere they want - they have to have to landing rights. With the exception of Fifth Freedom Flights, airlines usually can only originate from its own countries then fly to other countries gateway cities, may be one city beyond. Hence there are the needs for codeshare flights. You know that codeshares are not eligible for award redemption so dont even waste your time in looking such.

If India is your destination, and you want to have stopovers in Asia, CX may be your best bet. Pull up a CX route map to see how it goes from HKG to India.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
You probably dont understand how airlines routes are developed.

Airlines cannot fly just anywhere they want - they have to have to landing rights. With the exception of Fifth Freedom Flights, airlines usually can only originate from its own countries then fly to other countries gateway cities, may be one city beyond. Hence there are the needs for codeshare flights. You know that codeshares are not eligible for award redemption so dont even waste your time in looking such.

If India is your destination, and you want to have stopovers in Asia, CX may be your best bet. Pull up a CX route map to see how it goes from HKG to India.
Already did it Happy^ CX is the only airline where it would work out w/out the need for codeshares. I realize airlines can't fly wherever they want, lol. CX originating in USA with various stopovers in different countries all the way to India. Plenty of opportunities for stopovers along a fairly direct route in both outbound/inbound. If there are unlimited stopovers then the routing and the airline isn't an issue with CX (assuming there is availability on all legs).

Last edited by frankiwa; Jan 16, 2010 at 9:18 pm
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:50 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
bump..another stopover question. If we wanted to go from LAX to Easter Island could we do 2 stopovers? 1 in LIM and another in SCL? that would be a heck of a deal for 40K in Y or double that for business class.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by aaron1262
bump..another stopover question. If we wanted to go from LAX to Easter Island could we do 2 stopovers? 1 in LIM and another in SCL? that would be a heck of a deal for 40K in Y or double that for business class.
presumably, but beware the SCL reciprocity.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aaron1262

Yes you can.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Just gathering opinions...

You think that BAEC would approve an award ticket for the following routing?

GRU-->EZE (stopover)-->LIM-->LAX on LAN for 40K one partner redemption?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Given that you can do these as one ways and get a stopover in each direction, these awards are a real deal with any FF currency. I had only looked at mixed partner or BA only awards in the past and just recently noticed that some CX only awards were showing up at much lower mileage levels. It took me a while to find the one partner award chart at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_us but since I did I have realized how great of a deal this is for F for awards like N America to Far East! In comparison to my other main bank of miles (dont laugh, DL), these F awards are less than what I can find in J (if I am lucky) with DL miles.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:23 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Based on that chart, it is roundtrip. So Singapore to Vancouver is what? Half roundtrip x class of service?

And if I route sin to hkg to lax to yvr, I can stopover unlimited?

Is first class on cx or jl worth 75k oneway?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:30 am

I'd say CX J for 50k O/W or CX F for 75k O/W are both really good deals for this routing.

You cannot go SIN-HKG-LAX-YVR on CX one partner award though (no CX flight from LAX-YVR). You could do 2 one ways SIN-HKG-LAX and YVR-HKG-SIN and you could get stopovers in HKG both ways. AS has pretty decent prices to close the jaw LAX-YVR.

Alternatively, you could do one leg on CX and one on JL, to enable a stopover in NRT one way and HKG the other. But to do that in F your JL flight would have to be ex-LAX or ex-SFO (2 class 744 on YVR-NRT).

Also, neither CX nor JL have F on the SIN-HKG v.v. and SIN-NRT v.v. segments, as they only run 2 class planes on those routes.

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Based on that chart, it is roundtrip. So Singapore to Vancouver is what? Half roundtrip x class of service?

And if I route sin to hkg to lax to yvr, I can stopover unlimited?

Is first class on cx or jl worth 75k oneway?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
This is a good one

JFK-YVR-HKG-BKK-BOM

4 sectors in CX F or J. Stopovers in all places. In the old days, you could have carried onto DXB.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Originally Posted by d3vski
This is a good one

JFK-YVR-HKG-BKK-BOM

4 sectors in CX F or J. Stopovers in all places. In the old days, you could have carried onto DXB.
A couple of variations:

JFK-YVR-HKG-BKK-CMB or JFK-YVR-HKG-SIN-CMB

You could also go outbound via BKK & return via SIN.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by d3vski
This is a good one

JFK-YVR-HKG-BKK-BOM

so how much does it cost to route that, miles-wise? I had thought that US-India was only routable TATL.

had JL not cancelled MEX-YVR, another interesting TPAC to India would have been MEX-YVR-NRT-DEL

Hypothetically, one could still do GRU-JFK-NRT-DEL on JL for a pretty reasonable amount (120K in Y for r/t) if TPAC allowed.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:23 pm

Not as good a deal, India/Lanka are in "South Asia" as opposed to "Far East" zone. So 80k Y, 160k J and 240k F per roundtrip.

JFK-YVR-HKG-SIN is really a deal if you can take the stopovers!

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
so how much does it cost to route that, miles-wise? I had thought that US-India was only routable TATL.

had JL not cancelled MEX-YVR, another interesting TPAC to India would have been MEX-YVR-NRT-DEL

Hypothetically, one could still do GRU-JFK-NRT-DEL on JL for a pretty reasonable amount (120K in Y for r/t) if TPAC allowed.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:09 am

I'm getting myself confused here.

If I wanted, as I do, to go LHR - BKK - PEK in F

then firkle around China for a few days, including Xian, getting somehow to Hong Kong / Shenzhen.

Then come back HKG - SIN - LHR in F

is there any way I can do that as an award?

The routing, apart from PEK, is fixed as I'm fitting in 2 conferences and an electronics show.

I have enough *A points to do one direction in F and the >240K for BA to do either one way or return.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by garethmorgan
I'm getting myself confused here.

If I wanted, as I do, to go LHR - BKK - PEK in F

then firkle around China for a few days, including Xian, getting somehow to Hong Kong / Shenzhen.

Then come back HKG - SIN - LHR in F

is there any way I can do that as an award?

The routing, apart from PEK, is fixed as I'm fitting in 2 conferences and an electronics show.

I have enough *A points to do one direction in F and the >240K for BA to do either one way or return.
You can't do the BKK-PEK on oneworld, or any BA partners (at least, not nonstop). Otherwise, yes you would have just enough miles for the return in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.