Negative PCR Test now required to enter Brazil

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2020, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist

Looks like 72 hours before departure. This will begin December 30th and applies to all international visitors as well as nationals.

https://brazilian.report/coronavirus...-enter-brazil/
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Bad news, especially for those who lives in places where getting a result in less than 72 hours is very difficult...

Only Mexico and Colombia left for travel without a test in Latin America...
LETTERBOY and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:20 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by IstKong
Only Mexico and Colombia left for travel without a test in Latin America...
What about the Dominican Republic?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
What about the Dominican Republic?

Not sure, I was referring to the continent only.

By the way, Mexico is open without test, but they also are taking big restrictions on restaurants and everything in Mexico City so it's not wise to go there before February.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Not sure, I was referring to the continent only.
Not to nitpick, but Latin America isn't a continent. The dividing line between North & South America is in Panama.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Looks like 72 hours before departure. This will begin December 30th and applies to all international visitors as well as nationals.

https://brazilian.report/coronavirus...-enter-brazil/

My flight departs on December 29 and arrives on December 30. I wonder if this will apply to me or not.

Article 7. The restrictions referred to in this Ordinance do not prevent foreigners from entering the country by air, provided that the migratory requirements appropriate to their condition are observed, including that of having an entry visa, when required by the Brazilian legal system. § 1 The traveler of international origin, Brazilian or foreign, must present to the airline responsible for the flight, before boarding: I - Document proving laboratory tests (RT-PCR), for screening for infection by SARS-CoV-2, with a negative / non-reactive result, performed 72 hours prior to the moment of shipment; and II - Traveller's Health Declaration (DSV) completed (in print or digitally) with the agreement on the sanitary measures that must be complied with during the period in the country. § 2 The measures provided for in § 1 take effect from 12/30/2020. § 3 The migratory authority, at the provocation of the health authority, may prevent the entry into national territory of persons not listed in art. 3, when they do not meet the requirements set out in § 1.
Art. 7º As restrições de que trata esta Portaria não impedem a entrada de estrangeiros no País por via aérea, desde que obedecidos os requisitos migratórios adequados à sua condição, inclusive o de portar visto de entrada, quando este for exigido pelo ordenamento jurídico brasileiro.

§ 1º O viajante de procedência internacional, brasileiro ou estrangeiro, deverá apresentar à companhia aérea responsável pelo voo, antes do embarque:

I - Documento comprobatório de realização de teste laboratorial (RT-PCR), para rastreio da infeção por SARS-CoV-2, com resultado negativo/não reagente, realizado com 72 horas anteriores ao momento do embarque; e

II - Declaração de Saúde do Viajante (DSV) preenchida (impressa ou por meio digital) com a concordância sobre as medidas sanitárias que devem ser cumpridas durante o período que estiver no país.

§ 2º As medidas previstas no § 1º entram em vigor a partir de 30/12/2020.

§ 3º A autoridade migratória, por provocação da autoridade sanitária, poderá impedir a entrada em território nacional de pessoas não elencadas no art. 3º, quando não cumprirem os requisitos previstos no § 1º.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 8:19 am

The requirement would be clearer if it stated the arrival date instead of the departure date. The covid test is required for flights departing on 12/30 onwards, so flights departing before 12/30 should be exempt.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
My flight departs on December 29 and arrives on December 30. I wonder if this will apply to me or not.

Article 7. The restrictions referred to in this Ordinance do not prevent foreigners from entering the country by air, provided that the migratory requirements appropriate to their condition are observed, including that of having an entry visa, when required by the Brazilian legal system. § 1 The traveler of international origin, Brazilian or foreign, must present to the airline responsible for the flight, before boarding: I - Document proving laboratory tests (RT-PCR), for screening for infection by SARS-CoV-2, with a negative / non-reactive result, performed 72 hours prior to the moment of shipment; and II - Traveller's Health Declaration (DSV) completed (in print or digitally) with the agreement on the sanitary measures that must be complied with during the period in the country. § 2 The measures provided for in § 1 take effect from 12/30/2020. § 3 The migratory authority, at the provocation of the health authority, may prevent the entry into national territory of persons not listed in art. 3, when they do not meet the requirements set out in § 1.
Art. 7º As restrições de que trata esta Portaria não impedem a entrada de estrangeiros no País por via aérea, desde que obedecidos os requisitos migratórios adequados à sua condição, inclusive o de portar visto de entrada, quando este for exigido pelo ordenamento jurídico brasileiro.

§ 1º O viajante de procedência internacional, brasileiro ou estrangeiro, deverá apresentar à companhia aérea responsável pelo voo, antes do embarque:

I - Documento comprobatório de realização de teste laboratorial (RT-PCR), para rastreio da infeção por SARS-CoV-2, com resultado negativo/não reagente, realizado com 72 horas anteriores ao momento do embarque; e

II - Declaração de Saúde do Viajante (DSV) preenchida (impressa ou por meio digital) com a concordância sobre as medidas sanitárias que devem ser cumpridas durante o período que estiver no país.

§ 2º As medidas previstas no § 1º entram em vigor a partir de 30/12/2020.

§ 3º A autoridade migratória, por provocação da autoridade sanitária, poderá impedir a entrada em território nacional de pessoas não elencadas no art. 3º, quando não cumprirem os requisitos previstos no § 1º.

I am assuming that “moment of shipment” means day of travel. Where is the travel declaration collected? Do you have to have it filled out before departure?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:39 am

If you are travelling on the 29 and can be tested quickly and for free in your country, just do the test. You will be so happy to have it in case your flight is delayed/canceled.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
If you are travelling on the 29 and can be tested quickly and for free in your country, just do the test. You will be so happy to have it in case your flight is delayed/canceled.
This is good advice and something we are planning for. That said, I am hoping the test is not required as there is a lot of ambiguity here and I'd hate be denied boarding because of a technicality.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Any idea what the requirements are for the "Document proving laboratory tests (RT-PCR)"? Do they (Check in counter, Gate agent, Brazil Border control) look for something specific in the document? Is a print out from some online system sufficient?
I'm wondering if getting a PCR test from a local CVS is good enough or if one needs to find a special lab.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
Any idea what the requirements are for the "Document proving laboratory tests (RT-PCR)"? Do they (Check in counter, Gate agent, Brazil Border control) look for something specific in the document? Is a print out from some online system sufficient?
I'm wondering if getting a PCR test from a local CVS is good enough or if one needs to find a special lab.
*not specific to Brazil*
I flew recently to 2 countries where a PCR test was required 72h before arrival.
I printed out the results from NYU Langone Hospital, showing my name, date of birth, date of testing, date of the result and methodology used.

no issue in both instances

also note that, based on my 2 recent flights, only the airline staff checks the PCR test at check-in.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by zip10001
*not specific to Brazil*
I flew recently to 2 countries where a PCR test was required 72h before arrival.
I printed out the results from NYU Langone Hospital, showing my name, date of birth, date of testing, date of the result and methodology used.

also note that, based on my 2 recent flights, only the airline staff checks the PCR test at check-in.
Once you arrive in the destination country, no one checks?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by zip10001
*not specific to Brazil*

It is the airlines who must check. That is why cancellation and/or delay could be a VERY big concern due to the ambiguity of the directive/ordinance as written in PT.

One way to read it, as I have, is that the test must be uploaded to the airline prior to boarding of the flight to Brasil. Thus, if one is allowed to board (on 12/29), and the flight is then delayed (to 12/30), a plain reading results in the conclusion that the traveler should be allowed by the airline; a cancellation would result in a contrary conclusion. However, as for the former situation, that is not the argument I want to have with Brasil. Notably, pursuant to the plain reading, boarding a connection on 12/29 to say, e.g., IAH (then to GRU) will not satisfy the rule.

In sum, if you can, get a test or take your chances. The flip side is that the airlines are aware of this rule, and they do not want to get fined.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:20 pm

I would think a cancellation would likely cause one to need to get retested. I don't think a delay of a few hours is a big deal.
​​​​​​​
The flights depart around 8pm. I don't know how late COVID testing sites are open, but I'll assume you get your sample taken prior to 8pm. So you can't really get a test exactly 72hrs prior. If you get tested first thing in the morning (ie 8am), the earliest you might be able to get a sample taken might be 60hrs prior to departure.

Ofcourse many places say 2-3hrs for a PCR test result so that adds risk that you wont get your result in time.

This is assuming they go down to the minute vs just looking at dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.