FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Negative PCR Test now required to enter Brazil
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:57 pm
dcpdxtrans

Originally Posted by zip10001
*not specific to Brazil*
I flew recently to 2 countries where a PCR test was required 72h before arrival.
I printed out the results from NYU Langone Hospital, showing my name, date of birth, date of testing, date of the result and methodology used.

no issue in both instances

also note that, based on my 2 recent flights, only the airline staff checks the PCR test at check-in.
It is the airlines who must check. That is why cancellation and/or delay could be a VERY big concern due to the ambiguity of the directive/ordinance as written in PT.

One way to read it, as I have, is that the test must be uploaded to the airline prior to boarding of the flight to Brasil. Thus, if one is allowed to board (on 12/29), and the flight is then delayed (to 12/30), a plain reading results in the conclusion that the traveler should be allowed by the airline; a cancellation would result in a contrary conclusion. However, as for the former situation, that is not the argument I want to have with Brasil. Notably, pursuant to the plain reading, boarding a connection on 12/29 to say, e.g., IAH (then to GRU) will not satisfy the rule.

In sum, if you can, get a test or take your chances. The flip side is that the airlines are aware of this rule, and they do not want to get fined.