Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

GRU Layover Plan

GRU Layover Plan

Old Aug 12, 18, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Delta Silver
GRU Layover Plan

I'm flying EWR-MIA-GRU-JNB-MUB that includes a 12 hour layover at GRU (arrive 5:15 am, leave 5:20pm) on a Saturday. I will have lounge access, but wanted to leave the airport for a bit as I already have the yellow fever vaccine and it appears getting a Visa for Americans has become a bit easier with the new eVisa.

The plan right now is to freshen up at the lounge then head to Pao de Queijo Haddock Lobo, walk to Fair Benedito Calixto, then Uber to Mocoto Esquina for lunch before heading back to GRU.

A couple of questions:
* I know that traffic in SP is pretty bad, but on a Saturday morning, how long do you think it would take for me to get from GRU to Pao De Queijo Haddock Lobo in Jardins? Also, how long will it take to get from the Fair to Mocoto Esquina?
* Is walking from Pao de Queijo Haddock Lobo to Fair Benedito Calixto safe? It looks like the walk is about a mile and looking at the google street view, appears to be a fairly populated area.
* Would it be best to leave my day pack at the airport?
* I'm assuming that 2.5 hours would be enough time at the airport in the afternoon? Mocoto Esquina is fairly close to the airport so I'm figuring that as long as lunch was over by 2pm, I would be fine?
* Do most places take credit cards or would I be better served exchanging USD to Reals when I land?

TIA
Old Aug 15, 18, 6:58 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ PPS Club, FB Platinum, GP Platinum, SPG Platinum, BA Gold, LATAM Platinum
A couple of questions:
* I know that traffic in SP is pretty bad, but on a Saturday morning, how long do you think it would take for me to get from GRU to Pao De Queijo Haddock Lobo in Jardins? Also, how long will it take to get from the Fair to Mocoto Esquina?
GRU to Jardins (Haddock Lobo) on a Saturday morning should take you around 45 minutes. Not much traffic expected that early in the morning.
From Benedito Calixto (which does really get going in the PM btw) to Mocoto should take you about 50 minutes - do keep in mind you should get there just shy of midday to avoid horrendous queue....

* Is walking from Pao de Queijo Haddock Lobo to Fair Benedito Calixto safe? It looks like the walk is about a mile and looking at the google street view, appears to be a fairly populated area.
Fairly safe during the day, but you can be the judge of that. Uber is super easy and cheap in Brazil if you do change your mind
* Would it be best to leave my day pack at the airport?
I would assume so - just so you can walk around better. It should be easy and inexpensive to do that at GRU
* I'm assuming that 2.5 hours would be enough time at the airport in the afternoon? Mocoto Esquina is fairly close to the airport so I'm figuring that as long as lunch was over by 2pm, I would be fine? Yes, that would be plenty of time. Just bear in mind that you do need to get to Mocoto fairly early to be able to dine in peace....
* Do most places take credit cards or would I be better served exchanging USD to Reals when I land?
Most places most definetely do take credit cards - no problems there. Do note that the most common credit cards in Brazil are Mastercard and Visa. If you have any of those, then you should be safe.......
Old Aug 15, 18, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Delta Silver
I'll sadly only be able to see the fair in the morning. Is there something else that you would recommend on a Sat morning instead?

The plan was to be at Mocoto when they opened at noon. Is it better to be there a bit earlier and wait outside or will 8 be okay at noon? I understand that Brazilians tend to eat later in the day, so I was hoping that noon would be okay.

Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 18, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by stockboy85 View Post
I understand that Brazilians tend to eat later in the day, so I was hoping that noon would be okay.
Brazilians are actually not monolithic in that regard.