Reload this Page >

Rio hotel location recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rio hotel location recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:33 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by KDS777
There have been bullets flying around RIo for the 13 years that I have been travelling there over 45 trips. Having said that, I've also been to Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, and Washington DC many a time as well. I felt more scared there, than I ever did at first in Rio. Crime in 2009 was statistically worse than it is now, and from what I remember back then, it seemed the same as it always has been from day one.

I have the favelas of Cantagalo, Pavao Pavaozinho and Tabajares (the entrance to which is 4 blocks from my condo) where I live in Copacabana ....etc......and I'm going back again in 6 weeks time for about a month. Seen the military and extensive PM presence on the streets many a time. Watched a PM blow away a thief on the calcadao in Copacabana at midnight one evening from my seat in La Maison.

I've no concerns whatsoever on my end. Seriously.
I've been to all the places you mentioned and feel completely the opposite, Rio is a crime riddled tourist trap. Every Brazilian I know who has either lived or visited do not like the city and feel it is very unsafe and that's coming from people that are currently in Sao Paulo. I myself have had pickpockets attempt to get me outside of the Copacabana Palace Hotel. Friends have been robbed at gunpoint for their belongings. It is NOT a safe place. I have traveled all over the world and Rio is by far the most dangerous city I have ever visited.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:05 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I've deleted several posts that devolved to off-topic bickering about which cities in the world were less safe and included personal attacks. The original poster asked about preferences for some specific hotels. While safety is part of that answer, please keep to the original topic and keep the rules against attacking other members in mind as you respond.

Thank you,
l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
I've been to all the places you mentioned and feel completely the opposite, Rio is a crime riddled tourist trap. Every Brazilian I know who has either lived or visited do not like the city and feel it is very unsafe and that's coming from people that are currently in Sao Paulo. I myself have had pickpockets attempt to get me outside of the Copacabana Palace Hotel. Friends have been robbed at gunpoint for their belongings. It is NOT a safe place. I have traveled all over the world and Rio is by far the most dangerous city I have ever visited.
Rio has a unique spirit and culture. Much of the culture originally came with the settlers from Bahia. It shows in the vibrant music scene and strong neighborhood organizations to which cariocas have allegiances. There are also wonderful natural areas within the city. A visitor who does the research to discover this can spend an amazing time in the city, well beyond taking the iconic arms-out photo under the Christ statue.

I live among Brazilians in the US and in Brazil and cannot generalize about "every Brazilian I know" because there are simply too many. But.....
Middle class Brazilians, such as those in Sao Paulo, and often of European lineage, generally have pretensions to first world status. Many regularly denigrate the poor, the majority of whom are of color, from the northeast. This is culturally, racially and historically based.
Many lower middle class Brazilians are not well traveled and are afraid to venture out of their familiar settings. In my experience, they often go so far as to impede a foreign visitor from sightseeing freely, reflecting their own timidity. Small town Brazilians are often intimidated by the large cities.
These factors contribute to the expressed prejudice you have pointed out.

Rio is also unique among Brazilian cities in that the poor neighborhoods sit on the hills overlooking the richer neighborhoods, in very close proximity.
There is indeed a severe economic crisis effecting the entire country. There are now more people thrust into a desperate situation. Some of those may not have the moral compass we would desire them to have, but that is true in most places in the world. However, most cariocas and other Brazilians are friendly and helpful. Jeitinho Brasiliero is a fact of life in Brazil, so no Brazilian who uses it and is influenced by it, from the top to the bottom of society, can be said to be honest.

As to "feelings" of safety, I am female. I am vulnerable anywhere, in any country or situation, whether retrieving my car from a parking garage or sleeping in my own home or walking in front of a fancy hotel. This is a day to day reality in the US or elsewhere.
Maybe this is a big shock and surprise that male foreigners in Brazil discover for the first time, that they are vulnerable too.
However, I have been traveling regularly and widely, for long periods at a time, in Brazil, and have lived here for quite some time as well. While I do not look particularly "Brazilian", I have never in a couple of decades encountered a problem with crime of any kind.

I would encourage anyone, such as the OP, interested in a business or vacation trip to Brazil to do their due diligence. Do not flaunt your belongings where people who may not have your advantages may be tempted by them. Develop a way to be vigilant without being paranoid, as you may observe cariocas seamlessly do.

There are now guesthouses hosting foreign visitors in the Vidigal communidade whose entrance is across from the Sheraton, and foreign guests have patronized the shops and restaurants there. But the Sheraton is indeed a longer journey from the main sights and tourist bars/restaurants than other choices.
I agree though that, of the properties mentioned, the Marriott would do quite well for the OP and any future readers of this thread.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Apr 19, 2018 at 12:50 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Much of the culture originally came with the settlers from Bahia.
Where are you getting this from?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by C010T3
Where are you getting this from?
History
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:42 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
To explain why some recent posts were deleted, please let me remind that, as my Senior Moderator colleague posted above (post #17 ), we must avoid personal attacks against other members (FT Rule 12) and stay on the OP's topic of selecting a hotel room in the Rio areas mentioned. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AV Diamond, TK ELP, IB Oro, AD Diamante, NZ Gold, QF Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Why don't you use your Mariott Points + Status to do a status match with SPG + points transfer. Then you can stay at the Sheraton in Leblon.

As someone who lives 50% of their time in Rio, I would recommend this hotel as it is close enough to everything but also an exclusive "haven" away from the craziness of places like Copacabana once your day is done. It even has a private-ish beach and an amazing club lounge with awesome staff. It has good security and during the day it is not a problem to walk between the hotel and Leblon/ Ipanema - but just as easy and very inexpensive to take an Uber (which you really should do at night anywhere in RIO if going more than a few blocks.)

Alternatively if you want to be more in amongst the action I would recommend Ipanema. Hotels are not so great for their price, but the area makes up for it.

Barra is very boring and residential, plus a very long way from Zona Sul which is where you will spend most of your time. Plus traffic in RIO is some of the worst in the world so you will loose a lot of your time to it if commuting between there and Barra. Copacabana is really not the nicest place to stay.... a lot of homeless people passed out from drugs on every street corner, loud traffic at all hours, prostitutes plying their services and noticeable petty crime on the streets. The quality of bars and restaurants there is also not so great... and that famous beach is not the best RIO has on offer. Hence it depends on your sensitivities.

Hope you enjoy your trip, don't get too freaked out about security just try not to look like a typical "gringo" tourist (aka easy and obvious target) and be sensible when planning where you will go and how you will get there.

Last edited by kiwitakingflight; May 2, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Old May 3, 2018, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by kiwitakingflight
Why don't you use your Mariott Points + Status to do a status match with SPG + points transfer. Then you can stay at the Sheraton in Leblon.

As someone who lives 50% of their time in Rio, I would recommend this hotel
I couldn’t disagree more and am quite sure the majority of people in this subtopic/world would agree. I would advise against this hotel as strongly as I would advise against Barra.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Esmjb

I couldn’t disagree more and am quite sure the majority of people in this subtopic/world would agree. I would advise against this hotel as strongly as I would advise against Barra.
I would refrain from making all-emcompassing statements like these... I, for one, live in Rio and often stay the weekend at the Sheraton (when I can find a decent BRG rate). No, you won't have anything at your doorstep, but the views are amazing, the grounds are lovely with 3/4 pools, tennis court, and direct beach access. If you're SPG/Marriott Platinum you'll get a room with amazing views, great breakfast and lounge access complete with free flowing bubbly/caipirinhas.

Sure, it might not be for everyone (and possibly not the OP, as a non-beach person), but there's definitely a subset of people (myself included) who find it do be a good property. Certainly between the JW Marriott and the Sheraton, I'd choose the latter (and I live in Copa).

If you want the best location in Rio, go for the Sofitel, Fasano or even the (ex-Best Western) Sol Ipanema.

Last edited by RafKa; May 3, 2018 at 8:44 am
Old May 3, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa
If you want the best location in Rio, go for the Sofitel, Fasano or even the (ex-Best Western) Sol Ipanema.
In Ipanema, there's also the Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza, I haven't stayed there but my wife really liked it. IMHO, the best location In Rio is in Leblon, and my favorite hotel there is the Promenade Palladium.

Leblon pics

Ipanema Plaza Hotel pics

Last edited by boboqui; May 4, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, from my personal experience, I will not recommend Hilton Copacabana hotel. Although staff is nice and they now have small exec lounge and very good breakfast with nice views, they also host huge conferences and combined with construction issues (walls are paper thin!!), I would not pay 150 EUR+ for this hotel. And yes, city is dangerous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.