Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYE in Rio

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I'm paying about 400 USD per night for an ocean view room after getting a best-rate claim approved.

The Marriott sent me a flyer by mail. They also offered me a small discount for their party (early bird rate even though that offer expired a couple weeks ago), but it's still excessive.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You might also want to have a look at this thread where I got a lot of great advice on Rio hotels:

Where to go in Central/South America?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
You might also want to have a look at this thread where I got a lot of great advice on Rio hotels:

Where to go in Central/South America?
Thanks for letting me know!

WOW! 400 USD for ocean view room is a really good deal! Any tips on how you managed that BRG? I thought the rate on Marriott.com is nonrefundable? Or was it available for cancellation within 7days after booking?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:26 am
Original Poster

It was actually more like 350 USD, but Marriott claimed the competing rate did not include all taxes&fees (and so far, I have not been able to get a binding statement from the competing OTA either).

Yes, the rate on Marriott.com was refundable for 1 or 2 weeks or so.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:47 am

It was actually more like 350 USD, but Marriott claimed the competing rate did not include all taxes&fees (and so far, I have not been able to get a binding statement from the competing OTA either).

Yes, the rate on Marriott.com was refundable for 1 or 2 weeks or so.
Thats still pretty awesome. Do you mind sharing which OTA website did you use it for the BRG claim? or PM me please? Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:13 am
Original Poster

I just used Trivago.de which showed lots of lower rates (tour operator rates mostly). But I guess Trivago.com should work just as well.
l380 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Thank you again for your knowledable input as usual!

Would we still have a chance to get tickets when we arrive on December 28?
Wouldn't it be better (and cheaper) to buy tickets now?

Does La Maison have views of the beach, maybe even a rooftop bar?

What makes you choose the beach over a party at a bar?
From what I've read it gets extremely crowded, meaning you'd have to be on the beach many hours before midnight, with lots of pickpockets and where you might not even be able to buy (safe) drinks?
I'm not a big fan of massive outdoor parties in major Western cities because I feel it's always way too crowded and it doesn't really feel safe.
I would assume it would be even worse in Rio?
(Even though I understand that some people may like being part of a large, partying crowd.)
Sorry for the late reply. Just got back to Canada and have been too busy to post here. All good suggestions IMHO shown above too.

One thing to note, if you stay at a restaurant on Avenida Atlantica make sure you sit outside on the covered patio, at one of the tables near the edge of the area so you don't have to leave your table. Of course, as the fireworks are 20-25 minutes long, you can always leave your table, walk 20' to view them, and then return to it if you wish. Getting tickets at a restaurant should be possible on Dec 28, I've never done it, but I've seen signs out advertising them on those days.

I prefer being on the beach, dressed all in white, with some 2MM other people doing the same thing. I only bring the cash I want to spend that night, as well as a photocopy of my passport page. Bring a lot of small bills everywhere you go in Rio, especially the beach, I am talking 5, 10, and 20 Reais notes. If you need to pay R$13.85 for something, don't expect to get your change back. Saying "Ficar com troco" is always welcomed, and the easiest solution to waiting for a barrage of small coins no one else will want either. Even the beach vendors take AMEX though.....so credit cards are pretty much good everywhere as well. It's just easier to deal in cash when at the beach.

It's safe statistically speaking. If crowds are not for you however, you may want to decide on December 31st as to whether or not you venture out onto the sand. The beach is about 4KM long from the fort at Posto 6 to the start of Leme at Posto 1. The pic I've attached looks like it was taken from the Hilton or the Copacabana Palace.

BTW........you will not be disappointed with your hotel or room choice. My very first day in Rio I stayed at the hotel directly next door to the Marriot that is currently under renovation.
Attached Images  
l380 and boboqui like this.

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 20, 2017 at 1:04 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:01 am

I just used Trivago.de which showed lots of lower rates (tour operator rates mostly). But I guess Trivago.com should work just as well.
Thank you so much for the tip, I managed to get pretty much the same rate as yours! Guess I will cancel Hilton and stay at JW instead! Hope to see you around then.

Originally Posted by KDS777
I prefer being on the beach, dressed all in white, with some 2MM other people doing the same thing. I only bring the cash I want to spend that night, as well as a photocopy of my passport page. Bring a lot of small bills everywhere you go in Rio, especially the beach, I am talking 5, 10, and 20 Reais notes. If you need to pay R$13.85 for something, don't expect to get your change back. Saying "Ficar com troco" is always welcomed, and the easiest solution to waiting for a barrage of small coins no one else will want either. Even the beach vendors take AMEX though.....so credit cards are pretty much good everywhere as well. It's just easier to deal in cash when at the beach.
Really appreciate your in-depth insight! If I want to watch the firework from the centre, where would you say is the best location? I read here that says between Posto 2 and 3 is the best spot! http://rioforyou.com/events-in-rio-d...pacabana-2015/

Also, do you know if those count down events/concerts on the beach free for admission or not? Thanks again!

Last edited by l380; Oct 22, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by l380
Really appreciate your in-depth insight! If I want to watch the firework from the centre, where would you say is the best location? I read here that says between Posto 2 and 3 is the best spot!
Having done it numerous times, in general you want to avoid the following areas:
- Opposite Rua Princesa Isabel: this will be the main access for late stragglers
- Anywhere near a street which is an access to a metro station, as it’ll be the most crowded areas
- Close to the main stage or anywhere near the Copacabana Palace, unless you want to feel like you’re in a packed commuter train for the whole time you’re there.

My suggestion is to go roughly a couple blocks behind the stage, opposite Rua Paula Freitas. It’s somewhat quieter and you have a central view of the fireworks.

If you feel like watching the shows, do so at a fair distance from the stage (Rua Ronald Carvalho) as, again, there will be a crunch in the 2-3 blocks nearest to it.
l380 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by l380
Thank you so much for the tip, I managed to get pretty much the same rate as yours! Guess I will cancel by Hilton and stay at JW instead! Hope to see you around then.
Nice! Feel free to PM me!

Btw, the JW Marriott concierge emailed me today.
He said most restaurants won't start planning their parties before somewhen in November, so the only parties he could recommend already know are at other luxury hotels, which are all super expensive.
l380 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
I'm also staying at the JW over NYE. We are considering doing the Porto Bay Rio roof deck party. It's about $300 for 2 people, with no food or drinks, and is 1 km from JW. Anyone ever do NYE at Porto Bay before?
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Got a new email from the Marriott's concierge:

For a smaller budget, they're recommending a restaurant called Don Camillo.
The dinner menu is 590 BRL + 12% service charge per person. About 200 USD.
But I don't really see myself having New Year's dinner in an Italian restaurant in Rio...

They also recommended a rooftop party at the Porto Bay hotel.
The party is 500 BRL (150 USD), dinner is 850 BRL (260 USD).
The rooftop doesn't look to big, but this actually sounds like a decent option.
I've sent them an email.

What do you think? Has anyone been to the Porto Bay hotel before?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Got a new email from the Marriott's concierge:

For a smaller budget, they're recommending a restaurant called Don Camillo.
The dinner menu is 590 BRL + 12% service charge per person. About 200 USD.
But I don't really see myself having New Year's dinner in an Italian restaurant in Rio...

They also recommended a rooftop party at the Porto Bay hotel.
The party is 500 BRL (150 USD), dinner is 850 BRL (260 USD).
The rooftop doesn't look to big, but this actually sounds like a decent option.
I've sent them an email.

What do you think? Has anyone been to the Porto Bay hotel before?
Although Don Camillo is actually a pretty good restaurant, I would go for Porto Bay because the view of the fireworks would be amazing. Does the 500 BRL cover charge include something (drinks, canapes)? 350 BRL per head will get you a with wine pairings at Oro on Dec 30th, a truly unforgettable experience rather than dinner at a nondescript 3-4* hotel like Porto Bay (although their roof terrace is pretty nice). I would save the money and eat a more simple earlier dinner.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

The Marriott's concierge asked me to contact Porto Bay directly as they allegedly don't give out much information to other hotels.
I'll report back when I've heard back from them.

Having a nice dinner on the 30th and something simpler on NYE actually sounds like a nice idea!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:22 pm

Dom Camilo got busted in 2014 for selling spoiled food, along with a host of other places, all of which are still open because restaurants never go out of business in Rio, no matter how bad. Anyways, it’s possible they were busted because they forgot to pay someone off one month but the food is ok at best anyways so I say skip it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.