Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYE in Rio

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Tomorrow we’ll finally fly to Brazil, I’m super excited.

There’s just one thing I’m thinking about:
Obviously people use Uber and credit cards in Rio.
But I’ve also heard you shouldn’t carry any valuables, it’s best to only carry about as much cash as you’ll need for day and that you should definitely never walk around with an iPhone.
But without a smartphone (I’m an iPhone user and don’t see myself buying a cheap Android phone just to be able to use Uber) - how would you order an Uber?
If there is a constant risk of theft/robbery, why would anyone carry a credit card (forced cash withdrawals etc.)?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Tomorrow we’ll finally fly to Brazil, I’m super excited.

There’s just one thing I’m thinking about:
Obviously people use Uber and credit cards in Rio.
But I’ve also heard you shouldn’t carry any valuables, it’s best to only carry about as much cash as you’ll need for day and that you should definitely never walk around with an iPhone.
But without a smartphone (I’m an iPhone user and don’t see myself buying a cheap Android phone just to be able to use Uber) - how would you order an Uber?
If there is a constant risk of theft/robbery, why would anyone carry a credit card (forced cash withdrawals etc.)?
I was born in Rio, and have lived here for the past 5 years (after a long hiatus). The point about iPhones/smartphones is simply not to aimlessly flash it too often/for too long when on the street (i.e. wander around for a long time with your phone at arm's length looking at maps, etc). Preferably order your uber before you leave the premises you're in (hotel, shop, restaurant, etc). If you must use the phone while out on the street, just make sure it's quick and check your surroundings first. Remember that as a tourist you may stand out a little more than your average carioca, so you'd have to be a little more conservative in your actions (I call an Uber on the street, check my instagram feed, etc although sometimes I get reminded by people that I shouldn't be unnecesarily putting myself at risk for doing so).

With regards to credit cards (and valuables in general) is to spread your risks by leaving the bulk of your cash, and credit cards in your hotel safe. Expensive watches and jewelry are not a smart thing to take to Rio, unless you will be attending a wedding or some other fancy event. Gold chains, no matter how cheap or insignificant they may seem to you are a no-no, as it's a favorite target for youths to pull off your neck on the beachfront. To be fair, the chances of you getting mugged are very small, but not entirely negligible. In reality, poorer people get mugged more often for the simple fact they live in the more violent areas of the city, as opposed to the relatively high safety of Zona Sul that you will be in.

The idea is, be careful but don't give in to paranoia. I have had many foreign frieds visiting over the last few years, and not a single one had problems of any kind.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thanks.
So you’re saying that the main idea is to not stand out as a valuable target? Losing my credit card wouldn’t be that much of a problem, I could just call and get it blocked - I was more worried about them forcing me to hand out my PIN or withdraw money for them etc.
Is Amex widely accepted? If so, I could use my Platinum card because they can deactivate cash withdrawals. But then again, a Platinum card would probably make me even more interesting as a victim (if they force me to empty my pockets and see the card)? I get that it’s not extremely likely we will be mugged, but I’d like to be prepared in case it does happen.

What about a DSLR camera when going to the typical sights etc.? Best to bring a cheap camera instead? iPhone selfies would probably be a bad idea?

(And by the way, I guess Iguaçu/Iguazu, Buenos Aires, Santiago de Chile and Lima will all be safer than Rio?)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Thanks.
So you’re saying that the main idea is to not stand out as a valuable target? Losing my credit card wouldn’t be that much of a problem, I could just call and get it blocked - I was more worried about them forcing me to hand out my PIN or withdraw money for them etc.
Is Amex widely accepted? If so, I could use my Platinum card because they can deactivate cash withdrawals. But then again, a Platinum card would probably make me even more interesting as a victim (if they force me to empty my pockets and see the card)? I get that it’s not extremely likely we will be mugged, but I’d like to be prepared in case it does happen.

What about a DSLR camera when going to the typical sights etc.? Best to bring a cheap camera instead? iPhone selfies would probably be a bad idea?

(And by the way, I guess Iguaçu/Iguazu, Buenos Aires, Santiago de Chile and Lima will all be safer than Rio?)
Forget about the possibility of any criminals asking to see your cards to judge if you are a worthy target… we are talking very uneducated people here, who likely can’t tell the difference between Amex and Visa, much less if your card is platinum, black or even that there are different tiers of credit cards. My point about only taking 1-2 cards with you and leaving the rest in your room would be more about convenience (i.e. it would take a few days to get a card back when you are abroad, which is more complicated if you are going to several places).

Even with the recent upseing in street crime, instances of flash kidnappings among locals are much less frequent today than they were, say, 10 years ago. When it comes to a tourist, I can’t recall it ever happening (the language barrier would be enough to deter a criminal from going beyond just relieving you of the items in your possession and call it a day).

With regards to a DSLR camera, it’s fine to take it to tourist spots which would involve transportation there and back (Christ, Sugar Loaf, Vista Chinesa), but for the tourist activities which involve walking around (downtown like Praça Maua, sunset at Arpoador, beachfront, etc) I would suggest using your iPhone or a point and shoot which would fit in your pockets. Again, iPhone selfies are fine, just make sure you know who's around you before pulling it out, and don't spent 10 mins doing it, especially if it's crowded at Arpoador, for instance. Speaking of pockets, you may prefer cargo pants/shorts where you can fit everything you need, forget a backpack: you can buy bottled water anywhere, and there’s no need to be lugging bags around (again, women’s handbags when going around at night, at a shopping mall fine, but walking around sightseeing is best avoided).

Santiago, Lima, Iguazu and BsAs are obviously safer than Rio, but still require more care than your average 1st world city. Buenos Aires has a few famous hotspots for muggings (the streets around the Caminito in Boca, the “no man’s land between Centro and Puerto Madero, and the railroad crossings between Paloermo Soho and Palermo Hollywood).

Again, don’t freak out and enjoy your holidays!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Awesome, thank you so much!!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:56 am

In the unlikely eventuality that you get robbed, hand over your valuables and do not react, as criminals are vicious and will become violent.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Just arrived at the JW Marriott.
A bit cloudy and rather cold (20C/70F), but spectacular views from the rooftop lounge.
Hope we’ll get some sun the coming days!

Took an Uber here and now I really feel like there’s not much to worry about here. Glad we came!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
One thing you'll notice is that "everyone" uses their mobile devices on the street.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:52 pm

I just grabbed an Uber from GIG to copacabana and paid 41 reais. Anyone who doesn’t use Uber from GIG is just throwing away money. To get an Uber you have to go to the departures level (2nd floor). There are signs on the floor that say “taxi” and “carro particular”(private car which is Uber) so just follow those. They lead to one of three doors. When you open up Uber it will ask which of the three doors you are at, you choose it and that’s it.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:43 pm

The local weather...........courtesy of Globo..........

Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue..........hot with intermittent rain.

Last edited by KDS777; Dec 29, 2017 at 7:47 am
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Indeed it was much warmer today (but still very comfortable) until it started raining in the afternoon and the temperatures dropped. But we like it a lot anyway.

I just booked Oro for tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion again!
On NYE we'll just find a simple dinner somewhere close to the hotel (as we won't be able to move far away anyway because of all the people).

Our plan for tonight is to have dinner near the hotel as well (they recommended Balada Mix, Chiquita and Santa Satisfacao) and then take an Uber to Lapa to check out the bar scene.
They recommended Scenarium and Carioca da Gema in particular.

And then tomorrow we'll do all the sightseeing(Christ the Redeemer Statue, Sugarloaf Mountain, Ipanema, Selaron Stairs) and in the evening we'll have drinks somewhere in Leblon before going to Oro (where we only got a table quite late at night).
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:15 pm

Santa Satisfacao is excellent, and less than a 5 minute walk just around the corner from the hotel.

Chiquita is really overpriced IMHO, and because it is a new place, it is still busy...........never been to Balada Mix.

If you want to go to a really great local place to drink and eat snacks try BOTECO BELMONTE..........you can walk there from the hotel in <10 minutes.............it's 2 and a half blocks away.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:05 am

CT Boucherie is very good.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:18 am

..... now I really feel like there’s not much to worry about here. Glad we came!
This is a common reaction among foreign tourists who have read a lot of scary crime stories online. Once you get your feet on the ground, you have a more accurate feel for the realities of the situation.
HOWEVER, this does not mean you should not remain vigilant at all times !!!!!!!
Brazilians seem to have better built in radar, so it often does not outwardly show, but they also have a lifetime of knowing what to watch for and how to avoid incidents.
I often compare foreign tourists to Mr. Magoo of the old cartoons, the mostly blind character who luckily stumbles unhurt through dangers he is not even aware of.

Enjoy your Revellion !
ChocolateFactory likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.