Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYE in Rio

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Got a reply from the Porto Bay hotel:

Thank you for your request, below you can see our 3 options for New Year.

You can choose one of them that is better for you.
1ª) Our New Year's Eve Dinner (R$ 850,00 + 10%) per person with DJ, Special
attraction with Samba, buffet and drinks package included.
- The dance party with DJ and is located on the 4th floor (sea front)
- The 4th floor faces the beach and can see the fireworks.
- Buy supper does not have the right to see the fireworks in the pool.
- The customer has the right to leave and return to the Hotel.
- To secure your space, it is necessary to pay 100% of the total amount with
taxes.
- Children from 5 years pay 100%. Less than 5 years old do not pay but have
no place at the table.
- The tables are on the 4th floor for 10 people and can be shared with other
people
- The party starts at 8:00 p.m. and ends at 3:00 a.m.

2ª) Passport Fitness - Cabin: R$ 1.700.00 + 10% per person with exclusive
buffet and package of drinks included access to pool party and stateroom for
the fireworks. The room has space to sit and air conditioner.
The party starts at 8:00 p.m. and ends at 3:00 a.m.

3ª) Access Rooftop: R$ 550,00 per person
- No food or drinks include
- all consumption will have to be payed direct in the bar
- Access to rooftop (pool) with DJ party
To do your reservation it is necessary to make the full prepayment.
I guess the rooftop party would make the most sense?
l380 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Got a reply from the Porto Bay hotel:

I guess the rooftop party would make the most sense?
Now I'm not sure... R$550 for a rooftop view of the fireworks and access to overpriced hotel drinks. You're better off just going to the beach in front of the Marriott (you can always go back to your room for bathroom, etc).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:25 pm

Even Roberta Sudbreck got busted, esmjb !

Rafka, OP said he didn't want to be in the crowds on the beach.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Well, I'm not sure. Maybe it would indeed be better on the beach?
But judging by the photos I've seen it's extremely crowded - so even going back to the hotel to use the bathroom could probably mean losing your partner in the crowd?

I read a review where somebody wrote they'd recommend to go to the beach at 5PM and stay there. Because if you leave later, you won't make it back, you'll be just stuck in the crowd. I don't know how interesting it would be to be stuck in front of the hotel? Plus we're not so big fans of being in the middle of 2 million people (we wouldn't go to Times Square or other large gatherings for NYE either).

That's why I was thinking that a roof-top party with great views of the beach and the fireworks could be nice. But I'm usually not a big NYE party person. At home, we'd usually just meet up with friends, maybe have dinner together at home and then go to a bar etc. - no fancy dinner in expensive restaurants or so.
I was just thinking that if it's such a hassle to be on the beach and since I'm spending som much money on the hotel anyway, we might as well splurge on this rooftop party thing.
But of course, I'm not so interested in hanging out there with a bunch of 60+ North Americans (I'm 30, my girl-friend is 22). How much do you think drinks will cost at the Porto Bay hotel?

What would you recommend?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:17 am

But judging by the photos I've seen it's extremely crowded - so even going back to the hotel to use the bathroom could probably mean losing your partner in the crowd?...... Because if you leave later, you won't make it back, you'll be just stuck in the crowd.
.... of course, I'm not so interested in hanging out there with a bunch of 60+ North Americans
ROFL
Well, don't know about the rest of my ilk, but this 60+ North American is going to be out on the beach with carioca friends, dressed in white, jumping waves, bottle of champagne ready and waiting.

Think of it like going to a standing room concert. You've never had to go to the bathroom at a concert? You've lost your partner? Lots of people, yes, but just learn how to say "Com licença" (excuse me) or just "licença" (lee-SEN-sah) and move through the crowd just as you would at an event at home.

Here's a list of some parties, some with better views of the fireworks, some less:
http://www.boadiversao.com.br/guia/r...reveillon_2017

And here's more info about parties in other parts of Rio. Looks like Barra de Tijuca is going to have its own fireworks show.
http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-new...opacabana-rio/
l380 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
ROFL
Well, don't know about the rest of my ilk, but this 60+ North American is going to be out on the beach with carioca friends, dressed in white, jumping waves, bottle of champagne ready and waiting.
Haha! Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with 60+ year old North Americans - some of them can be a lot more fun to hang out with than many people my own age.
But for instance at the St. Regis Bali I just felt a bit out of place... It was clear that they were catering to a very difference audience (in that case, mostly 60+, rich Russians).
And given the price tag of most parties, I'd think that the other guests will probably be at least my age, probably significantly older.
I would like to be at a party with fun people, modern music (either local music or EDM/house music) and good drinks. If the other participants happen to be 60+, I'm fine with that.

Think of it like going to a standing room concert. You've never had to go to the bathroom at a concert? You've lost your partner? Lots of people, yes, but just learn how to say "Com licença" (excuse me) or just "licença" (lee-SEN-sah) and move through the crowd just as you would at an event at home.
Except most concerts I've been to had an audience significantly smaller than 2 million.

I'm really torn on this - on one hand I think maybe I'm overthinking this and we'd have the time of our lives on the beach.
And then I think that I actively avoid the large crowds back at home because I just don't like standing there for hours (especially in cold weather), there's too little space to move comfortably and everybody is super drunk. I don't know if I would enjoy that situation more if I had to watch out for pickpockets on top of that...

Normally I'd say I'll just fly down there, have a look at the general atmosphere in the city and then make a decision.
But I'm a bit worried the good parties will be sold out by then?

Here's a list of some parties, some with better views of the fireworks, some less:
http://www.boadiversao.com.br/guia/r...reveillon_2017

And here's more info about parties in other parts of Rio. Looks like Barra de Tijuca is going to have its own fireworks show.
http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-new...opacabana-rio/
Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:27 pm

Except most concerts I've been to had an audience significantly smaller than 2 million.

I'm really torn on this - on one hand I think maybe I'm overthinking this and we'd have the time of our lives on the beach.
And then I think that I actively avoid the large crowds back at home because I just don't like standing there for hours (especially in cold weather), there's too little space to move comfortably and everybody is super drunk. I don't know if I would enjoy that situation more if I had to watch out for pickpockets on top of that...
OK let me address this part.

Regarding pickpockets on the beach..... just don't carry anything for them to steal. No jewelry, no wallet, nothing valuable worn or in outside pockets. They are looking for the most obvious, easy marks. (I do remember one guy in Salvador's historic district telling me he almost lost his shorts, the pickpocket had his hand so deep in the guy's pocket, looking for anything he could grab. LOL)
Have someone make a small (passport size) pocket with a Velcro closure to sew or pin into the front waistband of your preferred shorts or whatever you choose to wear (white clothes, if you can). Keep a credit card, some larger bills and a trimmed Zerox copy of your passport photo page there. (Don't some men's shorts have inside pockets too?) Keep only enough money in a more accessible place for water and/or immediate needs. If you need to access the pocket's contents, it's easy to turn away, particularly in a building, or toward the gf, and reach in discreetly. No handbag for the gf.
What may work OK for you both for carrying a few things, including that "immediate needs" money, a small digital camera, or a touchup lipstick, is a small fanny pack (called "pochette" in Brazil), worn in front where you can keep a hand over it when necessary, preferably the kind that has one zippered pocket that is flat against your body, with the strap/belt closure under your shirt tail. You can use safety pins to keep the zippers closed too.

You can sit in the sand at the beach. Maybe bring a canga (sarong) to sit on. No need to stand the entire time. It will not be cold.
There will be family groups there, kids and all. Everybody will be in a good mood, friendly.
There are not 2 million in your immediate section of the beach, not standing shoulder to shoulder, stomach to back, with no room to pass. It's a very long strip of beach. As I mentioned, it feels more like a concert, but not the crush at the stage.

Many new travelers to Brazil read and think too much. Then they get feet on the ground and find out it's not nearly as bad as they were led to believe.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
And FWIW, most people don't go to the beach until 1100 PM.............the stream of humanity flowing from the apartments in Copacabana onto the roads is something else. But it works just fine. I've made the walk from my place on Figueiredo do Magalhaes by Copa D'Or Hospital down to the beach and back without issue, probably 7-8 times.

Looking at the big picture can be deceiving, once on the ground, all you will see is your immediate surroundings and it is genuinely comparable to leaving a big soccer match or a concert.

It's busier than usual all day at the beach if the weather is hot, just like a holiday weekend, but the rest of the crowd comes out at the last minute for the fireworks, and then goes home at 1230 when it's over.

I wouldn't go to the beach at 500 PM with plans of staying there until the fireworks. But that is just me. Many undoubtably do, several stay all day, and sleep there at night as well.

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 29, 2017 at 4:03 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
3ª) Access Rooftop: R$ 550,00 per person
- No food or drinks include
- all consumption will have to be payed direct in the bar
- Access to rooftop (pool) with DJ party
To do your reservation it is necessary to make the full prepayment.
Thanks for finding this out! This option does sound quite reasonably priced.So have you decided on which option yet?

PS. Can you please share the JW Marriott concierge email? I have been emailing this [email protected] and replies had been slow/no-reply...
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:31 am
Original Poster

My gf has decided she doesn't feel comfortable in the crowd (not necessarily because of Rio, but neither of us is a fan of big crowds and it seems unlikely we'll change our minds in Brazil). So we'll probably book their pool party (550 BRL). Unless somebody knows anything better.
Looks quite nice:

As you can see at about 1:13 in the video, there is a room overlooking the pool. That's the "2ª) Passport Fitness - Cabin" option. Indoors with A/C.
But we'll rather stay outside by the pool.

As for the JW Marriott concierge email address, just replace "ays" with "concierge".
l380 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Angry

We're having exactly the same issue and find it quite hard to find information online.

Now, that German soul inside of me who ideally wants to book everything months in advance, has a real problem with leaving ticket purchases to the very last minute. Online, I always end up on rather dodgy looking ticket re-seller pages who clearly want to make a buck with unsuspecting tourists. I remember my friend mentioned he just bought some tickets the day before right here for around $150 a person and that gave him great views of the fireqorks... but that so last minutejust feels far too risky for me.

Staying at our hotel is not an option as we're one beach further on Ipanema. We've contacted the Concierge (at the Sheraton) but he obviously didn't even bother reading my friendly email and instead just send us their hotel dinner packaged (great service, Sheraton).

Also, a place of locals with little babies and families sounds exactly like my very worst nightmare so we definitely rather want to pay some money for a private place with a proper DJ and ideally all you can drink booze. Definitely not into mingling with the local crowd but each to their own of course. Any advice where to look into parties in advance? Hotel or restaurant or similar would do, ideally not the oldest crowd as we're in our early 30ies. Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Sydneyberlin, come join us at the Porto Bay. It doesn't look too bad and, being German, I also feel like getting this sorted in advance. I don't want to spend my days in Rio trying to find a nice party. And of course they told me tickets go quickly.
The Porto Bay party is 150$ (if I recall correctly), but that doesn't include drinks.

I told them today I'd like to book, but haven't made the payment yet.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
Staying at our hotel is not an option
It is probably your only "reasonable" option. Read below.

Originally Posted by chocolatefactory
Sydneyberlin, come join us at the Porto Bay
This poster is staying in Sao Conrado at the Sheraton. There is no easy metro access, and they can only get around via taxi or Uber.

The problem is Copacabana is "CLOSED" to all vehicles during NYE. The area is shut down and the roads do not re-open until 3AM on Jan 1. So, while technically they could come to Copacabana, it would have to be an full day event with plans for staying there for the night (which you can do, but as hotels normally only sell multi-day packages for this period, they'll probably be sleeping on the beach) or spending one very long night fully awake.

Do not expect to get a taxi or Uber on NYE at 3 AM either.

Last edited by KDS777; Nov 8, 2017 at 7:22 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Seems like we made the right decision, booking the Marriott instead thanks to your advice!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by KDS777
It is probably your only "reasonable" option. Read below.
This poster is staying in Sao Conrado at the Sheraton. There is no metro access, and they can only get around via taxi or Uber.
The problem is Copacabana is "CLOSED" to all vehicles during NYE. The area is shut down and the roads do not re-open until 3AM on Jan 1. So, while technically they could come to Copacabana, it would have to be an full day event with plans for staying there for the night (which you can do, but as hotels normally only sell multi-day packages for this period, they'll probably be sleeping on the beach) or spending one very long night fully awake.
Do not expect to get a taxi or Uber on NYE at 3 AM either.
Oh wow. That IS an issue then! When do the roads close down? And can't you head over there to the area for dinner let's say at 9 and then back in the early morning around 5? That was our plan at least...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.