Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum time GRU/GIG - domestic arrival to international departure

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Minimum time GRU/GIG - domestic arrival to international departure

Guidance requested on my dilemma below:-

I am flying from Ribeirao Preto (RAO) on evening of August 20th, can't depart before 6pm.... trying to get back to UK (LHR) in shortest possible time. What is not clear is the process I will need to go through on arrival from the domestic flight, before catching the international one, and how long to allow. I am prepared to do whole trip to Brazil hand luggage only if it helps my cause.....

Options:-

1) RAO-->GRU with HAHN or TAM arriving 955pm. GRU-->LHR departing 1145 with TAM. 1h50 enough time?

1b) Related question, if internal and international flights were TAM would I need to collect and re-check bags in GRU, or could they go all the way from RAO?

2) RAO-->GIG with HAHN or TAM arriving 856pm. GIG-->FRA (Lufthansa) departing 1035pm. 1h40 enough time?

2b) Same as 1b, but about Rio?

3) Which is the better airport to try and make the domestic to International connection?

Advice and guidance gratefully received as I have been trying to find a good option for last 48h to avoid not getting home until Saturday!!

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
I just did domestic (GOL) to International (UA) on 8/4 with a 2 hour connection. GOL checked the bag thru to the first US port, so I did not have to pick it up at GRU. Asked UA if they could check the bag to my final destination in the US and they did. GOL and UA are not in the same alliance. You probably need to call and verify that the domestic airline you choose will do this (should not be a problem if all TAM). Had about a half hour to spend in the lounge. Security and passport control was not crowded, so depending on time of day, it could take a bit extra time, but from what I have experienced, even when there are a lot of people, the line moves pretty well. GRU is probably the better airport. Domestic TAM flights are in Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 for the international flights. It is no more than a 15 minute walk (likely less) from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3. Took me no more than 20 minutes to walk from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3.

Oh, and Welcome to FlyerTalk!!!

Link that might be helpful for GRU airport info.
http://www.gru.com.br/en-us/Airport-Guide/Airlines
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:35 pm

You're not flying Hahn. By the way, Hahn is not an airline. You're actually flying Passaredo, which is a small regional airline that code-shares with TAM.
Passaredo operates from the distant Terminal 4 at GRU, which I would not recommend. I am not even sure Passaredo has luggage interline agreements with other airlines besides TAM. Considering that you have to take the infrequent bus to get out of T4 in order to go through all other terminals before reaching T3, from where Lufthansa operates, it seems a lot of work.
The best option is really flying through GIG, since both Passaredo and Lufthansa operate from the same terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.