Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Lounge Access at GRU

Lounge Access at GRU

Old Mar 9, 15, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Question Lounge Access at GRU

Thank you in advance for your help, long-time lurker's first post below.

As a OneWorld Sapphire I will be arriving to GRU on LAN from SCL in the late evening (11.35pm) and departing to IGU on TAM the following day (1.20pm). Will I be able to access the new international LATAM lounge? Or since I am connecting from an international to a domestic flight is there another where I can go?

Thank you!
Old Mar 14, 15, 3:14 pm

In my experience, I'd say you're out of luck. After you pass through Immigration and Customs, you don't have access to any lounges I know of, and as the LATAM lounge apparently closes at midnight, it'd be a moot point by the time you exit Immigration and Customs.

For the next day: when connecting from international to domestic flights, after flying biz class on AA, United or Delta, we've ended up using the cramped and basic American Express Centurion Club, since it's outside security. As far as I know, no airlines (TAM, Gol, Avianca, Azul) have lounges for domestic flights, but I could be wrong.

We were going to use the new Star Alliance Lounge in Terminal 3 when we transited outbound recently, but had to rush to get from Terminal 1 (Gol) to T3 (United) that we did not have time to go to the lounge.
Old Mar 24, 15, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by SoCal View Post

For the next day: when connecting from international to domestic flights, after flying biz class on AA, United or Delta, we've ended up using the cramped and basic American Express Centurion Club, since it's outside security. As far as I know, no airlines (TAM, Gol, Avianca, Azul) have lounges for domestic flights, but I could be wrong.

We were going to use the new Star Alliance Lounge in Terminal 3 when we transited outbound recently, but had to rush to get from Terminal 1 (Gol) to T3 (United) that we did not have time to go to the lounge.
Indeed, AMEX is cramped & basic, but we use it everytime, as SOCAL confirms, there is nothing else. I'll be checking out the new lounge next week. Will report back.
Old Mar 24, 15, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold, Top 1% of KIVA lenders
What lounges are available for AA in terminal 2? Is it possible to transfer terminals and use the Amex lounge?
Thank you.
Old Mar 25, 15, 9:40 am

Am Ex Centurion Club is outside security in, as I recall T1 If you can leave the secure zone, you can go there. Once you go through security for T2, I don't think there's anything for AA passengers. You can do an Internet search to see what lounges are in T2 and then contact AA.
Old Mar 25, 15, 8:17 pm

I believe that AA is now in Terminal 3.
Old Mar 31, 15, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Brahmin View Post
I believe that AA is now in Terminal 3.
That is correct.
Old Apr 3, 15, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans View Post
Indeed, AMEX is cramped & basic, but we use it everytime, as SOCAL confirms, there is nothing else. I'll be checking out the new lounge next week. Will report back.
I can report the *A lounge is very nice. It was at first a little hard to find. The food options were very good--a huge leap from the offerings at the old-new UC lounge. Ditto on the ambiance. The service was excellent. The shower facilities were smaller than UC, however. All in all--a very fine lounge. I look forward to my return trip there in the fall.

Since UC recently upgraded the old lounge just a couple of years ago, UA must have taken quite the hit on that money outlay.

Last edited by dcpdxtrans; Apr 3, 15 at 6:33 pm Reason: I didn't realize the up arrow was shorthand for an up sign--I used it to reference a thought
Old Apr 4, 15, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
T2 lounges

Similar issue for me. I'm landing on Qatar Business in GRU T3, with a TAM domestic flight from T2.
I did a similar transfer from AA First to TAM domestic last year, and thought I made a mistake in going through T2 security. T2 Wing D was barren! Half the shops were shut and it was late morning, and no lounge.
Was hoping I just missed something either in T3 or before security. Sad that TAM has nothing here, when at SDU they have a small but functional lounge.
Old Apr 5, 15, 8:42 am

adamfd, I don't think you missed anything. We will transfer from AA to TAM in July. Will report results here.

dcpdxtrans , I assume you're talking about the AA lounge. Hoping to use it outbund soon. But won't help OP as far as I can see. No showers in Am Ex lounge. Last time we were there, a month ago, one patron somehow caused the sink in the men's room to crash down, putting the facility out of order. My wife speculated on what he may have been doing, but I won't. Sure wish there were other options for international-to-domestic connections.
Old May 1, 15, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Any word on the new AA lounge in terminal 3? Will be going through there in a few weeks; I hope it's completed by then.
Old May 1, 15, 12:58 pm

The AAAdmirals lounge at GRU has been closed for renovation and will not open this year. AA passengers can use the Executive lounge in Terminal 3.

I hope that this is a good lounge as I will be there later this month.
Old May 1, 15, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Brahmin View Post
The AAAdmirals lounge at GRU has been closed for renovation and will not open this year. AA passengers can use the Executive lounge in Terminal 3.

I hope that this is a good lounge as I will be there later this month.
Oh well -- thanks. I think I've read in another thread that the T3 Executive Lounge isn't very nice.
Old May 3, 15, 10:01 am

AA lounge at GIG is open? Last time we used it, over a year ago, I thought it was temporary. It was next to the "VIP" lounge used by United and others. Is there a new AA lounge now? Glad we'll be flying out of GIG rather than GRU next month. We'll be in biz class to JFK.
Old Jun 18, 15, 7:18 pm

A few weeks ago I connected through GRU. I was flying in C on AA and I have Priority Pass. So, in T3, I had access to the Executive Lounge (AA's contract lounge until the AAdmirals Lounge is completed) and the Star Alliance Lounge -- right next door to each other.

Each lounge was reasonably good. The food offerings in Star Alliance were a little better. Both lounges were fairly spacious, so even though there were a lot of people in each, neither was crowded. I'd say that the Star Alliance Lounge was roughly on par with the business part of the *A Lounge in Heathrow.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: