Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Brazil World Cup 2014

Brazil World Cup 2014

Old Jul 11, 14, 11:09 am
  #271  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,305
RIO:
Porcao, and Mariu's, as Vida has mentioned.

I've been eating there off and on since 1970, and both continue to be well managed using only good cuts of top quality meat.

The salad selections at both are excellent for vegans, or those requiring light and a little less than the normal 1 ton of carne per week in Brasil.
Swissaire is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 11:48 am
  #272  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 32,171
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
Salvador is known for its fresh seafood.
Local best for meat there has long been considered Boi Preto in Armacao.
Locals often try in their own way to impress the gringos; one friend was quite proud to take me to an Outback Steakhouse.
Yes, but after eating seafood every day you sometimes want to have a steak. And yes Boi Preto is popular. Too popular as there was an hour wait for lunch last Sunday and I could barely get into the parking lot to ask.

However let me make a recommendation for the true Salvador food in the true center of the old town. Caxixi is the place to go. They can do Churrascaria too. Or good old fashioned Salvador gumbo Quiabada. Or Feijoada, Rabada, Cozido, etc.
stimpy is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 3:14 pm
  #273  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,667
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Yes, but after eating seafood every day you sometimes want to have a steak. And yes Boi Preto is popular. Too popular as there was an hour wait for lunch last Sunday and I could barely get into the parking lot to ask.

However let me make a recommendation for the true Salvador food in the true center of the old town. Caxixi is the place to go. They can do Churrascaria too. Or good old fashioned Salvador gumbo Quiabada. Or Feijoada, Rabada, Cozido, etc.
"the true Salvador food in the true center of the old town"? Possibly. Might a true Solteropolitano agree? Feijoada and the other listed dishes are pretty ubiquitous around the whole country. Rabada more associated with Minas?
Salvador has a couple thousand restaurants., quite a few in that neighborhood. How about Mocambinho? The maxixi embriagado?
Or any of the little places Randy recommends around town to the tourists who read his informational site www.salvadorcentral.com?
How about Boca da Galinha in Plataforma?

Although the African food heritage is the feature of eating in Salvador, Okra (quiabada and similar Brazilian dishes--my preference being the savory dish from Minas, frango com quiabo) is a difficult veg to recommend to most gringos, unless they perhaps come from a southern US cultural background. Artfully cooked in Brazil, it could change your opinion though.

It's ironic that fish/seafood is so costly in the US but is the everyday fare of every common Solteropolitano subsistence fisherman. It takes me awhile to get so tired of it that I am craving steak.
VidaNaPraia is offline  
Old Jul 11, 14, 3:52 pm
  #274  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 32,171
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
Although the African food heritage is the feature of eating in Salvador, Okra (quiabada and similar Brazilian dishes--my preference being the savory dish from Minas, frango com quiabo) is a difficult veg to recommend to most gringos, unless they perhaps come from a southern US cultural background. Artfully cooked in Brazil, it could change your opinion though.
Don't lump us all into that barrel. This is Flyertalk and we eat local dishes all over the world. I loved the Quiabada as well as the many times I enjoyed Moqueca and Bobo, etc. Perhaps the best Bahian seafood restaurant I tried wasn't in Salvador, but rather on the Island of Mare. It made me think of Cuba for some reason, but in any case it was an awesome experience.

And thanks for the link to Randy's site. I'm glad I read it after my visit. It makes more sense now that it would have before visiting.
stimpy is offline  
Old Jul 13, 14, 5:19 pm
  #275  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,305
Good job with the 2014 Copa, Brasil !!

Well done.

On to the 2016 Olympics !!!
Swissaire is offline  
Old Jul 13, 14, 6:45 pm
  #276  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BDLish
Programs: Delta Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 474
Originally Posted by Swissaire View Post
Good job with the 2014 Copa, Brasil !!

Well done.

On to the 2016 Olympics !!!
Absolutely! For those interested, I linked my WC pics in this TR
AirD0c is offline  
Old Jul 14, 14, 3:55 pm
  #277  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 32,171
And mine is here. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...bad-again.html

And yes, thanks to the organizers and especially the many cheerful volunteers who made this World Cup great.
stimpy is offline  
Old Jul 14, 14, 10:03 pm
  #278  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: You can find me in the A.
Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Posts: 106
Thanks for the Churrascaria recommendations everyone! Did Porcao's and Carretao's. Now I need to lay off the meat for a while..
UnaCervezaPorFavor is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: