Search

GRU (new T3) - EWR UA BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:34 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
GRU (new T3) - EWR UA BusinessFirst

With a week off work and a stash of UR, my wife and I made a brief one week trip to the World Cup. We split our time between Rio & Sao Paulo, saw one match in each city, in addition to the Fan Fests, sight seeing and bar hopping.

We flew down on Copa in J. It was a pretty mediocre experience and not really worth recounting. However, the 7 hour layover in PTY was great as it allowed us to go into the city and see the Canal, Causeway and Casco Viejo, before continuing on to GIG.

Pictures of this trip can be found here.

Now, for the flight home, UA30, GRU - EWR, 767-400ER in J.

First, some of GRU's brand new terminal 3. It's very modern, airy, Gattaca-esque, and overall a very welcoming upgrade from the concrete labyrinth that is T1 - T2.

United BusinessFirst check in.

Probably took us 10 min. to get through the line, we were certainly not being moved through in a hurry. There was a checkpoint at the entrance of the check in line, where our names were verified on the passenger manifest and we were asked security questions. Eventually we got a very pleasant agent who was excited to tell us about “GRU avenue” - the new shops at T3.

Directly opposite premier check in was coach, where there appeared to be long, crowded lines.

After check in we proceeded to security and immigration, which was a breeze. It appears the check in area is divided so effectively coach and business/first use different security checkpoints.

We then explored a bit of “GRU avenue” before heading to the star alliance lounge.

The lounge is on the second floor, at the top of a windy ramp, overlooking the center of the shops. There are also escalators for more direct access. The first class lounge is the only other lounge here.

In keeping with the design of the rest of the terminal, the lounge is very open, with tall glass windows allowing you to look out (and in) to the terminal.

The lounge was your typical *A lounge, with snacks (pastries, wrappy things on sticks, salad), wine, beer, cheap spirits etc.

Despite the lounge filling up, it never really felt too crowded, thanks to the spacious design and plenty of seating.

Orchids were a nice touch.

We left the lounge to find a bar to watch USA-Portugal, but overheard some USA fans say frantically, “There’s no bar!! Our only option is to pay to use the lounge!” And with that we briskly made our way back to the lounge to sit and watch the game.

Indeed, in the time we had to wander around, I didn't see a single restaurant or bar. Not sure if they haven't yet opened, or if we just missed the restaurant area all together. At any rate, we made our way to the gate.

And took a look out at our 767-400ER.

Boarding was an absolute clusterf*k. Long lines formed on both sides of our gate entrance. It was difficult to tell who was actually in group 1, but there did appear to be a lot of us.

At any rate, once we found our seats, all was quiet and well. This is a pmCO bird with 39 lie flat beds in a 2-1-2 configuration. Our seats were 6K and 6L.

Amenity kit.

I sat in the window, while my wife took the aisle, and I was convinced that my footwell was narrower and deeper, while her’s was wider and shallower.

My footwell (6L)

Her footwell (6K)

Regardless, I was very happy with the leg room, there was plenty:

Seat controls.

Seat power outlets & storage.

Menus were distributed.

And I enjoyed some pre-departure champagne.

Headphones.

IFE controls.

I ordered the Hermitage, which was decent. Service was very attentive as I was offered pours before my glass was finished. As a result I ended up having a bit more than I had anticipated.

Cabin during beverage service.

Meal service also began promptly.

I had the steak, which while overcooked and tough, was flavorful.

My wife had the salmon.

Trip progress.

Seat in its lie-flat position. Very comfortable.

I slept great, and per request, was awoken for breakfast service.

We had a glorious sunrise before descending into EWR.

Overall this was an excellent 50k award redemption, and we were thrilled to get one of these seats during the World Cup! We were originally on AC, connecting through YYZ, but a seat on UA30 opened up a few days prior to departure.

Last edited by AirD0c; Jul 4, 2014 at 4:05 pm
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:04 pm

World cup report!! Great stuff, looked like a blast.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:14 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Nice report - thank you for sharing!

Comparing to the new EZE *A Lounge, the GRU Lounge looks quite average
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Not surprising the award inventory opened up. Business traffic is way down during the world cup period Unless you're going to World cup. most business travelers are avoiding the area during the period. DL reported as much in June results.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hard to believe that's the same GRU that I last saw when I was there in 2006
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by CMK10
Hard to believe that's the same GRU that I last saw when I was there in 2006
me either and I had a transit through there just last year. I also went for world cup and was surprised how open award availability was last minute especially on AA. There was practically space everyday to GRU during the games. I snagged myself the Miami- Salvador flight (booked in May) which saved a lot of time rather than backtracking via GRU or GIG. Though it sucked because it was on a single aisle 757
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks for the report. I was there too, but didn't get to experience T3. I was stuck in T1 with BA and TAM.

My report is here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...bad-again.html
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:01 pm

Wow!
That is light years better than United's previous location at Guarulhos. It looks amazing.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:17 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Mats
Wow!
That is light years better than United's previous location at Guarulhos. It looks amazing.
Yes, welcomed, massive upgrade!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.