Brazil World Cup 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brazil World Cup 2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Brazil World Cup 2014

Got a group of friends and myself heading to Brazil next year, and pondering using Sao Paulo as as base, as it is the major air hub for the country.

Trying to get an idea of areas to stay, as we are keen on renting apartments for our stay for between 2-3 weeks.

If anyone could offer some suggestions on places that are central to the city, websites to check out would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:38 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
vila mariana, itaim bb, moema, pinheiros, campo belo, brooklin, morumbi, paraiso, vila olimpia, vila madalena, jardim paulista
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:42 pm

Jardins and Itaim are probably the best locations for a gringo. Jardins is a walkable area, Itaim not so much although some might desagree.

Campinas might be an alternate location as Azul airlines gets you to whole country out of Viracopos aiport ( my base for internal flights ).

S. Paulo hotel prices that are already extremely high will surely go up to stratosfere during WC14.

There´s a site for long term rentals ( in portuguese only ): http://www.aluguetemporada.com.br/

PM if you need more info.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:48 am
Suspended

I assume airfare and hotel rates will be sky high during the World Cup? But how about a few months after? Will prices be much lower?
Old May 17, 2013, 10:16 am

Hotel prices and airfare have been rising by leaps and bounds over the last couple of years in anticipation of this event and the Olympics. Rio is considered to have a shortage of hotel rooms and is now consequently seen as one of the most expensive places in the world. Prices may come down slightly after the Cup (as they do after Reveillon and Carnaval when they are jacked up 3-5X) but I doubt there'll be a significant decrease until well after the Olympics.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
...but I doubt there'll be a significant decrease until well after the Olympics.
Until 2015 you mean?
Old May 18, 2013, 11:51 am

Olympics in Rio: August 5-21, 2016
Old May 18, 2013, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Olympics in Rio: August 5-21, 2016
Basically it will be expensive for the rest of the decade...
Old May 28, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Originally Posted by pvdecastro
Jardins and Itaim are probably the best locations for a gringo. Jardins is a walkable area, Itaim not so much although some might desagree.

Campinas might be an alternate location as Azul airlines gets you to whole country out of Viracopos aiport ( my base for internal flights ).

S. Paulo hotel prices that are already extremely high will surely go up to stratosfere during WC14.

There´s a site for long term rentals ( in portuguese only ): http://www.aluguetemporada.com.br/

PM if you need more info.
Proper short-term apartment rentals are not common in Brazil, but I assume during the cup you'll see more of them. The ideal situation would be if you know a local who has a friend-of-a-friend who can rent you his or her place. Expect prices to be exorbitant, as Săo Paulo already has very bad housing shortages. You can look for "flats," which are just hotels. They sometimes have a kitchenette-type kitchen.

Also bear in mind airfares will almost assuredly be stratospheric. I would not plan on being able to fly to the various venues. Bus travel or even car rental is viable for many cities in the south, but buy your tickets as early as possible. Brazil does not have the infrastructure to deal with itself on a normal day. The Cup and the Olympics are going to... stress the system a bit.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:39 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
WC Tickets are supposed to go on sale in July..... me thinks they aint' gonna be cheap. They never are, but this time around I think they are going to be even more expensive...

Old May 30, 2013, 12:02 pm

WC Tickets

Tickets go on sale in August

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organis...ing/index.html

My plan is to fly from San Francisco to Rio for the group stages and park myself in Rio for 10 days.

Does anyone have recommendations on finding accommodations? looking for housing rentals (4+Bedroom).

Unfortunatley, we have to wait until July 2013 to book plane tickets for June 2014. Also trying to determine best time to purchase flights. First day they become available or wait? interesting analysis below, though doesn't necessarily apply to WC 2014 rules

http://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-...ook-my-flight/
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: BMI Diamon Club
Think I'm going to stick to the northeast. Prices should be (a little cheaper), weather will be better, and Natal/Recife/Fortaleza are accessible by bus, so I can avoid the rip off of internal flights

Ticket prices for the World Cup are made available end of July 2013, so I can start making plans. I really hope they're not massively more than the Confederations Cup 2013 tickets

I'm looking at flights already: is it a blanket rule that they go on sale 12 months before hand? I was looking at June 2014 and struggled to find anything on TAP (flying from England to Natal)
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by galego
I'm looking at flights already: is it a blanket rule that they go on sale 12 months before hand?
No, for example BA are not selling flights to Brazil for June 2014, but have flights to Buenos Aires for the same dates.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Referee killed and decapitated after soccer game in Brazil.

http://www.examiner.com/article/deca...-police-search

Not exactly the best face of Brazil a year in advance of the cup.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:01 pm

This was an amateur game in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere (in which the ref was apparently carrying a knife throughout the game). It has as much to do with World Cup soccer as a basketball player in some ghetto neighborhood getting killed in a drive-by shooting has to do with an NBA title series.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.