Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

'Free Petrol' campaign : Fuel Surcharges Axed: Fares Tumble

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Free Petrol' campaign : Fuel Surcharges Axed: Fares Tumble

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2008, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
because they can afford to drop the £5 YQ and put the base fare up £3. Per the list above LHR-BHD has dropped from £39 to £37.
I have no problem with them moving the charges into the base fare from the YQ column. That is better for everyone as it means the charges are subject to discounts where appropriate and also not included as surcharges on reward redemptions.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Only London routes because the bmi Regional jungle jets drink like Hummers.
I see.

"What's the fuel surcharge for?"

A) "It's because fuel is expensive."

B) "It's because fuel is expensive, and we're not very good at hedging our fuel bills."

C) "It's because fuel is expensive, and we're not very good at hedging our fuel bills, and the pound is too weak."

D) "It's because fuel is expensive, and we're not very good at hedging our fuel bills, and the pound is too weak, and this aircraft is inefficient."

It doesn't exactly help YQ's public image. It's hard to see it as anything other than an extra fare element that BMI can vary at will, depending on market conditions, all the while claiming 'nothing to do with me, guv'.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mad_rich
It doesn't exactly help YQ's public image. It's hard to see it as anything other than an extra fare element that BMI can vary at will, depending on market conditions, all the while claiming 'nothing to do with me, guv'.
Sadly this game is played by all major carriers and is not exclusive to BD.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat, Hyatt Dia, HHonors Dia, PC Plat
Does this mean that fuel surcharges on awards are also axed?
Old Nov 2, 2008, 3:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by mad_rich
And it's only on London routes because?
Well actually, although the website does say 'on all our UK and European flights to and from London Heathrow', the Times advert just says 'on all our UK and European flights'.

Now maybe they're running the Times advert only in the London area, but still, that's close to a trip to the Advertising Standards Authority, don't you think ?
Old Nov 2, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by connex2me
Seems to be. Priced up a LHR-DUB both as a flight and a redemption - same tax (£34.20)

No BMI fares in ITA yet - so couldn't breakout taxes using that.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Looks like the fares are now matching up with the published offer. Well done anyone who managed to get the error fares yesterday!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by connex2me
Has this been answered yet?

I am considering an award flight on LH redeeming BD points, would it be BMI or LH who set the the surcharge?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

Now maybe they're running the Times advert only in the London area, but still, that's close to a trip to the Advertising Standards Authority, don't you think ?
Correct, even running an advert regionally still requires the copy to be nationally compliant. I haven't seen the advert in The Times, but is there no small print anywhere on the copy? If not, they could be in a bit of bother for claiming 'All UK and European routes'.

I know they can try to claim that BD regional is not the same as BD mainline, so might get away with say MAN-EDI. However, Moscow surely counts as Europe and is flown on BD mainline, but appears not to be part of the promotion. Unless of course it is just an 'oversight' on the website?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:47 am

Programs: BA*S, CX_G, Marriott Reward Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spanishflea
Looks like bmi have axed their fuel surcharge on all ex LHR short haul routes.
Well having got some LHR <> DUB flights already booked does this mean I will be getting some £££ back from the reduced fuel surcharge?

I'm sure they would have been happy to charge me MORE is the surcharge had gone up!

N.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by lcsneil

I'm sure they would have been happy to charge me MORE is the surcharge had gone up!
No they wouldn't. Price paid when you bought the ticket is what matters. If BD put their fuel surchage price up after you purchased, they wouldn't be knocking on your door to charge you the excess. Likewise they won't be knocking on your door to give you a refund either.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I do remember seeing an online advert for a sale yesterday.
It was quite musical, and all about 'going to Barbados...'
It was £397 I think?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by RAPC
Correct, even running an advert regionally still requires the copy to be nationally compliant. I haven't seen the advert in The Times, but is there no small print anywhere on the copy? If not, they could be in a bit of bother for claiming 'All UK and European routes'.
I've just seen tonight's Evening Standard and the ad definately says nothing about LHR only and there's definately no small print. It's also powder blue on black, so another challenge for some visually impared folk no doubt

I bet the small print's in black.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
New diamond club email just received-

Welcome to your November news and offers email.

This month we're delighted to announce that bmi has no fuel surcharge on all UK and European flights departing or arriving at London Heathrow. *As a valued Diamond Club member we wanted you to be the first to read about our exciting news*

Let's see, first after the combined readership of The Times plus the Evening Standard plus visitors to flybmi.com plus...........
Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
Let's see, first after the combined readership of The Times plus the Evening Standard plus visitors to flybmi.com plus...........
Not to forget the fount of all wisdom, FT.

Can I be the first to say 'I haven't received this? Mrs Roger has, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.