Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: Sir Michael Bishop sells bmi to Lufthansa !!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: Sir Michael Bishop sells bmi to Lufthansa !!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by rupert_s
...could lead to a full-scale German raid

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5061705.ece

The Times perspective on the situation - and the various options.
Better alert Dover
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Originally Posted by sofasurfer
I'm on track to make Silver, so this is welcome news.

For those who've seen this kind of thing before... is it likely that one's DC renewal date might be extended at all once the LH takeover is complete? I'm just wondering if it's worth trying to attain silver sooner rather than later (now based within striking distance of BUF, so UA should offer plenty of possibilities).

Also a silver who does about 20,000 miles per year,Dub-LHR, what will this get me in terms of lounge access if LH M&M does indeed replace Diamond Club.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 1:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OPENROAD
Also a silver who does about 20,000 miles per year,Dub-LHR, what will this get me in terms of lounge access if LH M&M does indeed replace Diamond Club.
M&M Silver (FTL) has access to LH Business and FTL lounges listed in this post. I expect DC/M&M Silver will continue to have access to the existing BMI lounges. At certain locations (e.g. MAN T1) M&M Silver has access to contract lounges even when flying *A economy. Other FTL privileges are listed in this post.

DUB-LHR earns 938 miles including Executive Bonus with M&M in booking class E H K M O Q V W (1563 miles in booking class B S Y, 156 miles in booking class G N T). You will need 19 DUB-LHR mid-price economy return flights in a calendar year every 2 years to retain your Silver status with M&M.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
DUB-LHR earns 938 miles including Executive Bonus with M&M in booking class E H K M O Q V W (1563 miles in booking class B S Y, 156 miles in booking class G N T). You will need 19 DUB-LHR mid-price economy return flights in a calendar year every 2 years to retain your Silver status with M&M.

Tks ^
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:34 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Lufty's shopping spree continues

AFP reports that that they will definately buy OS
Old Nov 20, 2008, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Exclamation BmiBaby probably for sale after takeover, hints LH

The heaviest hint yet that Baby would be for sale after January. Makes sense, I suppose.

It would be nice if some of the routes might be converted to mainline, if not with the same aircraft then perhaps with regional. Manchester-Belfast and some of the Birmingham routes such as Madrid, Lisbon, Milan and Warsaw spring to mind.
Originally Posted by REUTERS
FRANKFURT/NEW DELHI, Nov 19 (Reuters) - Deutsche Lufthansa would consider selling bmi's low-cost carrier, bmibaby, after it takes over a majority stake of the company early next year, Chief Financial Officer Stephan Gemkow said on Wednesday.

"The UK low-cost carrier's sale is an option that is on the table. It is not part of Lufthansa's core business," he told Reuters in an interview on the sidelines of a trip to India with German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier.

The German flagship carrier last month made a move on Britain's bmi, saying the airline's founder, Michael Bishop, had exercised an option requiring Lufthansa to buy his 50 percent plus one share stake in bmi.

The move would raise Lufthansa's stake in the carrier to about 80 percent and would give it access to bmi's billion-euro slots at Heathrow airport. Gemkow said the company had not yet decided whether to sell the landing slots.

Lufthansa has been leading the pack in European airline consolidation and is currently the exclusive bidder for state-controlled, loss-making Austrian Airlines. A deal is expected within a month.

"It is still a bit too early to talk about a completion," Gemkow said.

He brushed off speculation, however, that Lufthansa may be unwilling to make a bid for the free float shares in Austrian Airlines, citing European legislation.

Talking about Alitalia, the Italian carrier that may be up for grabs, Gemkow said the situation in Italy was "very intransparent."

"I know neither the business plan nor the balance sheets of the new Alitalia," he said.

Alitalia is currently being bought by a an Italian investor group that will relaunch the airline and likely name either Lufthansa or Air France-KLM as a strategic partner.

(Reporting by Hans-Edzard Busemann; Writing by Maria Sheahan; Editing by Simon Jessop)
Old Nov 20, 2008, 5:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
I've been thinking about the state of Baby for on and off, and maybe a "Regional plus"* service is the way to go here, shedding off the leisure routes to FlyEasyRyan2JetAirWings **, whilst tightening up the business/high yield routes.

To further maintain the illusion of a full sized/full service airline, redeploy some of the A319 fleet onto these routes - or dread the thought, order some E-170/190 series aircraft thus allowing to use the word "investment" in a press release.

But first things first - whatever they do with Baby, they're going to have to get shot of those gas guzzling 737-300/500's...

However, selling the LHR slots - surely even in this climate that would be akin to killing the goose that laid the golden egg?

* I claim responsibility for the name - I'll take the miles and skip the free flights in licensing rights
** That's as many LCC's I could think of...
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Question OT - Question - looking for thread on future of this forum

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
No, the BMI forum will become a sub-forum of M&M, to be hidden away like the Swiss forum.
Slightly OT, but who was the FT member, standing for Talkboard that said they'd move the bmi forum to a sub-M&M forum if they were elected? I've been searching for their post for a while now but can't find it! And I need to make my vote tomorrow evening and I don't want to risk voting for sometihing I don't agree with...
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by jbfield
Slightly OT, but who was the FT member, standing for Talkboard that said they'd move the bmi forum to a sub-M&M forum if they were elected? I've been searching for their post for a while now but can't find it! And I need to make my vote tomorrow evening and I don't want to risk voting for sometihing I don't agree with...
If memory serves, it was phillipas? If memory doesn't serve, I apologise for putting words in their mouth!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
If memory serves, it was phillipas? If memory doesn't serve, I apologise for putting words in their mouth!
Personally I just wish TB would disappear, but that's a topic best left for another forum.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:51 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

I don't know which candidate it is because I haven't read their spiels but it must have been in answer to Q.10 in this thread.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Thank you all. I've voted...so no turning back now!

I did read Q.10, which I initially thought was a reasonable answer, but it isn't mentioned there. I am confident it was in this bmi forum, I just couldn't find it again. Perhaps it was editted out...

Anyway, I wouldn't want this to turn into a witch hunt - everyone's entitled to their views...and it's to late now anyway!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Personally I just wish TB would disappear, but that's a topic best left for another forum.
If you ever run on that platform, you'll get my vote.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alanw
If you ever run on that platform, you'll get my vote.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:03 pm

Lufthansa not seeking to sell BMI assets

Apologies if this rather old news has been mentioned already.

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited...fx5745301.html

MALPENSA AIRPORT, Italy, Nov 26 (Reuters) - Lufthansa Chief Executive Wolfgang Mayrhuber speaking at a press conference on Wednesday:

* says not actively seeking to sell parts of its subsidiary BMI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.