Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: Sir Michael Bishop sells bmi to Lufthansa !!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: Sir Michael Bishop sells bmi to Lufthansa !!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajamieson
WHAT?!

Tears of christ! If I see cement-grey carpet, nasty plastic furniture and boiled wurst anywhere near my lounges I will barricade myself inside with copies of World of Interiors and stage a protest. There's enough calories inside to last a whole winter. You have been warned!
LOL...thats too funny. I think if we had the BMI lounge design and COLOURS with the Swiss Senator food then it would be a good balance.

When flying from Dublin you can use both the Anna Livia lounge and the BMI lounge. The BMI lounge is certainly better in terms of design and space. The only thing lacking is Anna Livia has better snacks and internet kiosks.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I have no experience of the existing LH lounges at LHR.
Lucky you. It is a grey little hole in the corner of T2 (in fairness, the state of T2 is not the fault of LH) with excellent sandwiches, nicer staff that one might expect but otherwise the sort of ambience usually found in the waiting room of a clinic. I agree with your point about the leather chairs in Business Traveller lounges ^

Your link reminded me of a Debenhams cafeteria. In 1989.

I promise to stop being rude about LH at some point
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Avenarius
Neither.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leberkäs

The best thing about the MUC SEN lounge.
What about the Laphroaig that was there the last time I was in it?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by thegoderic
What about the Laphroaig that was there the last time I was in it?
Oh, I missed that. Ok, the second best thing
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:34 am

They have Laphroig? Lovely. I might be persauded.

But the grey will have to go!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:37 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
WHAT?!

Tears of christ! If I see cement-grey carpet, nasty plastic furniture and boiled wurst anywhere near my lounges I will barricade myself inside with copies of World of Interiors and stage a protest. There's enough calories inside to last a whole winter. You have been warned!
I wholeheartedly agree. The LH lounges and OS lounges I've visited (LH in LHR T2, OS lounges in VIE) are simply depressing. Their designs are cold; devoid of any sort of human presence - almost clinical. They remind me of cafeterias (although the one I have at work is better).

The bmi lounges have colour and natural light for a start! I actually find them comfortable, relaxing places...They remind me of lounges.

Last edited by jbfield; Oct 31, 2008 at 5:39 am Reason: added missing 'y'.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Hopefully those BD lounges will now become LH lounges.
Thankfully this did not happen to the SWISS lounges, which are, IMHO, very nice indeed. I have no reason to suspect we'll see LH lounges take over - probably more likely better bmi lounges open to LH travellers too, or with an LH corner (uggh... I know where I'll be seated, though I'll cross the line for a draft beer).
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:51 am

Just make sure that on future visits to LH lounges, ask for a comment card. Fill it out and for the last question about how the lounges compares, make sure you write that the design of bmi lounges is much better.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
I can hear it now at Gate 2

"Senator Lounge doors please"
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
I don't think that the LH Lounge in LHR is anything you should measure LH Lounges on.

I have spend quite some time in LH Senator Lounges in Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich (not to mention the wonderful Senator Cafe in Munich).

While the interior color of grey with yellow lines is bad the food on offer usually is great.

In Frankfurt (Schengen area) they were offering soups and fresh pasta next to the normal sandwich and salad offerings.

The amount of soft drinks and alcohol available is far better than DC.

Again I think that ground service by LH in Germany (their home country) is far better than what DC is offering in the UK (their home country).

Now the new Swiss Senator Lounge in ZRH is great but the food still needs some improvement.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:17 am

The amount of soft drinks and alcohol available is far better than DC
But they don't offer Irn-Bru!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by sven60035
The amount of soft drinks and alcohol available is far better than DC.
I disagree strongly, while respecting your personal preference.
Again I think that ground service by LH in Germany (their home country) is far better than what DC is offering in the UK (their home country).
I think you are correct, but in the sense of having greater consistency rather than necessarily providing an enjoyable experience (and sometimes bmi provides neither...)

I have read the thread about how LH SENs may (or may not) be greeted by name onboard. If greeting passengers from a list according to a procedure is LH's idea of provising a personal touch then I think the culture clash is going to be even greater than I had imagined!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I promise to stop being rude about LH at some point
That's OK! I've lived in the UK long enough to appreciate the national hobby of moaning but thought I'd do my bit to cheer you up . BTW, I'm not German .

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Thankfully this did not happen to the SWISS lounges, which are, IMHO, very nice indeed.
I haven't been to the SWISS lounge at ZRH since it was refurbished earlier this year. Previously the only good thing about the lounge was a couple of PCs with free but very slow Internet and a strange keyboard .
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have read the thread about how LH SENs may (or may not) be greeted by name onboard. If greeting passengers from a list according to a procedure is LH's idea of provising a personal touch then I think the culture clash is going to be even greater than I had imagined!
While I agree with you on the substance, you get pretty much the same thing with BA. I have never understood why individuals attach so much importance on the calling by name issue when the staff clearly do not know you, given the artificiality of it, but to each their own. Not so much a culture clash, imo, as a personal preference issue. Unavoidably, a larger entity such as LH is going to be more bureaucratic and rely more on set processes than a small outfit like BD, which can give you a more genuine personal touch, for better or worse. But you'll get that with whichever of the big airlines you go for. We are back again to the local shop versus large hypermarket issue.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
While I agree with you on the substance, you get pretty much the same thing with BA. I have never understood why individuals attach so much importance on the calling by name issue when the staff clearly do not know you, given the artificiality of it, but to each their own. Not so much a culture clash, imo, as a personal preference issue.
Actually, I hate being addressed by name. Maybe I have repressed childhood traumas, but it always makes me feel as if I have done something wrong. It doesn't help that most of the airlines that insist on it seem incapable of pronouncing my name, which although unusual, does not present any particular phonetic difficulties.

And as for addressing one by one's first name... I was on a Virgin Blue flight last month, travelling with my mother who was always been known by her middle name. Her (hated) first name appeared on her boarding pass, though - so she was greeted as "Hello, Margaret, have a nice flight Margaret, etc." If looks could have killed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.