Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Hopefully the link to the Google Translation works
This is the Reuters version

Last edited by GrayBDG; Jul 29, 2009 at 3:47 pm
Old Jul 29, 2009, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by GrayBDG
correct link

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssI...23133420090729
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:33 pm
Suspended

??? what is the connection to a possible merger ???
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:48 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
That LH's drop in revenues might have an impact on what they do with BD. Keep it, sell it, break it up etc.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:38 pm

LH in talks with VS about BD

I'd be surprised that VS has the cash to buy BD, but it looks like LH wants BD off the balance sheet.

Originally Posted by Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation
Shares in Lufthansa dipped 1.8% on Friday, as the carrier announced plans to halt capacity growth in 2010, in preparation for prolonged market weakness.....

Lufthansa is also holding talks with Virgin Atlantic regarding the future of bmi. Lufthansa announced last week it is considering plans to sell its 80% stake in loss-making bmi. The parties stated the discussions may or may not lead to an agreement and a further announcement “will be made in due course”.
http://www.centreforaviation.com/new...all-down/page1
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:21 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Man, this never ends does it?!

I just feel sorry for all the staff whose futures seem to be in a never ending state of "what colour uniform are we likely to be wearing in 6-months time"
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:31 am

Programs: F
But LH are also talking with SAS about their 20%: link

Gemkow Thursday said: "The Virgin option is only one of many." He also said Lufthansa's primary goal is to stabilize bmi's earnings in the short term.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:11 am

Programs: BA G, AC*G, PC P, Marriot Plat, Carlson Gold etc....
This is going to be a long running saga indeed. Due Dilligence is going to take a while. And I would suggest their are dozens of options from total retention to total sell-off and everything in-between. So no point even guessing which is likely.

The slice of the Heathrow action was certainly attractive to LH five years ago with all that premium traffic they wanted a slice of. So have they got the stomach for a five year wait with huge potential losses or have they really bitten off more than they can chew in the short term. Many chapters of this book yet to come.

Under an option where bmi went to VS, do you think VS would come into star?
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You can't help thinking, though, that LH would be kicking themselves in 10 years if they sold BMI and the LHR slots now. This really is a once in a lifetime chance to build a position at LHR.

The idea that they might keep the Heathrow slots and sell BMI is obviously nonsense. There is no market demand for a raft of new *A shorthauls from LHR to Germany / Austria / Switzerland - the slots only make sense if you want to develop a long-haul or mid-haul operation with LH / Austrian / Swiss / Brussels / LOT / TAP / SAS offering feeder flights across Europe. Add in a few rotations to Paris, Spain and the Netherlands and you've pretty much got BA's level of connections.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:50 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by markdg
Man, this never ends does it?!

I just feel sorry for all the staff whose futures seem to be in a never ending state of "what colour uniform are we likely to be wearing in 6-months time"
So might this mean that DC stays intact, at least for a while?!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by Raffles
You can't help thinking, though, that LH would be kicking themselves in 10 years if they sold BMI and the LHR slots now. This really is a once in a lifetime chance to build a position at LHR.
This is my feeling too; they may hedge their bets and try to keep some and sell the rest on to VS if it can somehow buy. Or perhaps they are just no longer interested in major share in UK market either short or long term. Whatever the truth I get the feeling SRB is sitting pretty and he knows it. I don't think anybody has mentioned the BMI metal, is this owned by BMI outright or on long term lease? You would think LH would be interested in replacing some of their old 737s with the BD airbuses.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:38 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by nomad1974
Possibly. But while keeping DC could they not insist on scrapping things like C&M for example or make other changes?
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by nomad1974
We can hope, but changes can come oh so easily, and in so many ways!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
This is my feeling too; they may hedge their bets and try to keep some and sell the rest on to VS if it can somehow buy. Or perhaps they are just no longer interested in major share in UK market either short or long term. Whatever the truth I get the feeling SRB is sitting pretty and he knows it. I don't think anybody has mentioned the BMI metal, is this owned by BMI outright or on long term lease? You would think LH would be interested in replacing some of their old 737s with the BD airbuses.
My feeling is that it's more likely tripe put together by a bored journalist. I don't think there are any serious BD/LH/VS discussions at the moment or they would have happened during the SMB/LH dispute rather than after the fact.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:52 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
LH ended up having to honour the contract.. now that is over, they should take time to consider all options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.