Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by IMH
In fairness, I think (from the original as well as from Rambuster's translation) that Mayrhuber is referring to bmibaby rather than slagging off BD.
I would interpret Mayrubers statement that they will be shutting down bmibaby.
With regards to VS, I am not sure if he is actually talking to SRB but perhaps to SQ ?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I would interpret Mayrubers statement that they will be shutting down bmibaby.
With regards to VS, I am not sure if he is actually talking to SRB but perhaps to SQ ?
I doubt he is seriously talking to either and simply stating he is keeping all options open as any good CEO should do.

Great fodder for the papers though.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
Hahaha, what a joke. From my own experience on LH European shorthall they are more like a low cost carrier than BD. Ancient 737s, overcrowded gates and disorderly boarding, aircraft leaving gates even before everybody is seated, gate problems on arrival at FRA, and snacks they should pay you to eat all spring to mind. Under LH I cannot see service on BD going anywhere but continuing downwards.
Really? LH still gives a Y passenger food on short flights and free alcoholic drinks, in economy. Some of the best lounges in Europe, a good deal of leg room on short flights, and the resources to deal with IROPS, without a cascading effect of low fare airlines. The times I have been on BMI, there was a fee for on board food, cramped leg room in Y, and delays and cancellations.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by little_dc
Really? LH still gives a Y passenger food on short flights and free alcoholic drinks, in economy. Some of the best lounges in Europe, a good deal of leg room on short flights, and the resources to deal with IROPS, without a cascading effect of low fare airlines. The times I have been on BMI, there was a fee for on board food, cramped leg room in Y, and delays and cancellations.
You obviously have not been to the FRA SEN lounges which I think are pretty substandard for a major global hub. Yes the HON/FCT FRA lounges are amazing and the only lounges I know of that compare are the QF ones in SYD/MEL, but the rest of the airport is a hell hole. [MUC is nice however but I would still put BA's LHR J lounges ahead]

Agree on many of your other points however from a personal perspective, I prefer the LX seats as their design gives even more legroom than the LH ones.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:16 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Stefan Lauer appointed as Chairman of bmi's Board of Directors

Stefan Lauer, CEO Group Airlines and Corporate Human Resources at Deutsche Lufthansa AG, has been appointed with effect from 1 July 2009 as Chairman of the Board of Directors of British Midland PLC (bmi). He will take over the position from Sir Michael Bishop who is leaving the Board.

Also Jrg Hennemann, Manager Hub Development and Capacity Management Frankfurt, has been appointed to the airline's Board. He will join CEO Nigel Turner and Deputy CEO Tim Bye as an additional Executive Director of the Company.

Altogether bmi's Board of Directors has six members: Stefan Lauer, Nigel Turner, Tim Bye, Jrg Hennemann, Dr. Holger Htty and Benny Zakrisson.

Deutsche Lufthansa AG
Corporate Communications
http://konzern.lufthansa.com/en/html...07/937/HOM&s=0

So has anyone noticed anything tangibly different this morning? Will there be special food in LH SEN lounges to mark the occasion?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
Even though I know it's not true, I can't help but worry they're going to storm into LHR, close the lounges, shutter DC, repaint all the planes dull yellow with "GERM-O-FLOT" written on the sides and start 5GBP flights to Spain.

I just want them to leave DC alone.

Also give Joanna a raise.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by alanw
start 5GBP flights to Spain.
That LHR-BCN link you always wanted
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:33 am

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
Originally Posted by alanw
Even though I know it's not true, I can't help but worry they're going to storm into LHR, close the lounges, shutter DC, repaint all the planes dull yellow with "GERM-O-FLOT" written on the sides and start 5GBP flights to Spain.

I just want them to leave DC alone.

Also give Joanna a raise.
I actualy think they will go the opposite direction.

They will grab all slots and redistribute them within their group (if you read the a.m. article in the Sueddeutsche Zeitung you will note that he actualy says that he think the slots are the most valuable).

Than BMI will concentrate on being the fedder towards LH flights but they will stop behaving like a low cost carrier and become a full service airline again.

Than they are going to close DC down and make us Miles & More.

But that is just my opinon.

And, yes Joanna needs a raise!
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by sven60035

They will grab all slots and redistribute them within their group (if you read the a.m. article in the Sueddeutsche Zeitung you will note that he actualy says that he think the slots are the most valuable).

Than BMI will concentrate on being the fedder towards LH flights but they will stop behaving like a low cost carrier and become a full service airline again.

Hi Sven, Long time no see

Good post and I have to say in all honesty I agree with what your saying. It makes the most sense.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Agree too, but I don't see M&M in the near future. Too many market considerations for that to work well, as it did with LX.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Agree too, but I don't see M&M in the near future. Too many market considerations for that to work well, as it did with LX.
Although brand synergy wise it makes sense to merge sooner rather than later to get back end efficiencies. I'm still of the view that consolidation will occur within 12 months from today - i.e. The day LHBD took the effective 80% control and SMB out of the picture.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by sven60035

This could be good for UK-Euro shorthauls with greater frequencies between UK and *A hubs. However, it is bad news for UK regional residents who would be looking at 2xchange onto *A longhaul. I would prefer to see greater *A longhauls direct from LHR but I doubt that'll happen unless VS is brought into the fold. DC is clearly a gonner, just a question of when.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Today SZ (Sueddeutsche Zeitung - German newspaper) reports that LH wants to get rid of their BMI stakes as soon as possible. LH is analysing all possible options including a deal with VS or BA. BA doesn't have the financial power buy BD even though the author claims that BA is still interested. VS is not a real option as well because they want LH to remain a minority shareholder.

Honestly I don't think that is article is of any use because it is more or less or speculation and no information but I thought I may report here.

Have a nice weekend,
totti
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:52 pm

they should contact SQ.

If SQ takes over BD, they can use the slots for new route to US.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
So...LH's H1 Revenue Collapses

Just seen this article

Lufthansa's First Half Results see revenues collapse

Hopefully the link to the Google Translation works

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.