Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow - Cairo from October 28th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow - Cairo from October 28th

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
"Laughably early" if you're on vacation, especially given that you've had to pay for your hotel the night before.

Works OK if you live in Cairo and are coming here, I admit!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Great news indeed. Deffo have to take a trip on that although I wasnt impressed with Cairo last time but will give it another go. So CAI and TLV.... wonder where will be next .
What's the news on TLV? I hadn't heard this.....
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:39 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Corpt
What's the news on TLV? I hadn't heard this.....
I found an article on the subject back in FEB - link below

BMI TO TLV

B
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Yes, but wasn't that dependent on regulatory approval? Has that actually been given?

If TLV were to happen it would be the second destination (after CAI) that is not currently on the BMED list. Is there the capacity for this without urgent major cuts elsewhere? I'm also puzzled why Midland would want to enter a market which EasyJet might leap into (and even more puzzled why EasyJet would want it...)
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajamieson
I'm also puzzled why Midland would want to enter a market which EasyJet might leap into (and even more puzzled why EasyJet would want it...)
Apparently TLV-EWR is CO's most profitable route.

So I'm sure there's money to be made for Bmi TLV-LHR-JFK (once open skies happens), even allowing for the stop-over in London.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:35 am

Dear me, where to start. Of course EWR-TLV makes money!

And I really don't want to repeat myself about the commercial disaster-zone that is LHR-JFK.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mofomat
Apparently TLV-EWR is CO's most profitable route.
Yes, but it's a non-stop flight, and that's half the attraction. I have no doubt that BMI will do well with flights to TLV, but can't see that justifying flights to JFK or EWR, where the real money is on the business market looking for frequent nonstop links between LON and NYC.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Dear me, where to start. Of course EWR-TLV makes money!

And I really don't want to repeat myself about the commercial disaster-zone that is LHR-JFK.
Alright, keep your hair on. I was just expressing an opinion. You said yourself you don't know why BD are planning TLV. I was just trying to come up with a theory.

And TLV-EWR doesn't just make money. It's CO's most profitable route. Maybe you're right, and it wouldn't work for BD, but there could be enough traffic available for BD.

And you keep dismissing New York as being a non-starter for BD. That may be a true assumption, but it doesn't mean BD are not going to go ahead and start NYC flights does it?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bmi, well done for coming up with a different set of timings to the competition (I'm excluding MS from that as they aren't my idea of fun...given a choice). While not ideal for a short biz trip ( a 7/8pm departure would have been great)
Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:11 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
deleted.

Last edited by NoY; Jul 17, 2007 at 10:54 pm
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:50 pm

Programs: *G SPG Platinum
I thought TLV was a relatively low-yield destination/low fare starting point. I see CO Businessfares starting at GBP1230+++ (ex EWR) and GBP1278+++ ex TLV, of course R-class and restricted, but still.

Or maybe it is the "least unprofitable"

BA A-class no advance purchase is GBP2953+++ - still reasonable compared to GBP4566+++ LHR-NYC. (CAI-LHR-NYC on BA (A-class) is sweet at GBP2006+++.

LH D-class TLV-FRA-NYC is also cheaper than FRA-NYC. No big surprise though.

Ja ja.....
Old Jul 18, 2007, 4:00 am

Exclamation Schedule For AMM, BEY and CAI

Looks like increases to AMM and BEY, too. Codeshare with Egyptair (so my memory was correct after all).

No sign of that TLV-LHR-JFK shuttle yet, though...
Originally Posted by bmi
bmi announces major enhancements to Middle East network from Heathrow

- new daily Heathrow to Cairo service
- increased direct services from Heathrow to Amman and Beirut

bmi, Heathrow’s second largest carrier, has today (18 July) announced that it will serve a new destination as well as introduce major enhancements to its network of services from Heathrow with effect from 28 October this year. Air travellers from the UK regions will be able to connect via bmi’s services to Heathrow.

The airline is to launch daily flights from London to the Egyptian capital of Cairo. The new competitive service will be operated by an Airbus A320 aircraft in a two class business and economy configuration.

bmi also announced the signing of a memorandum of understanding with EgyptAir, which will see the carriers enter into reciprocal codeshare and frequent flyer agreements shortly. This will enable passengers to benefit from reciprocal flight codes on each airline’s flights as well as frequent flyer programme rewards and benefits. Return fares on the new bmi service to Cairo will start from £878 business and £299 economy (including taxes and charges).

Major enhancements for travellers will also take place from 28 October to other destinations newly served by bmi as it commences services at the start of the winter timetable. The Jordanian capital of Amman and the Lebanese capital of Beirut each benefit with an increase in direct frequency, with daily services now available to both locations.

Nigel Turner, bmi chief executive officer said: “The introduction of new competition onto routes has historically invigorated markets and we expect our new competitive service from Heathrow to the Egyptian capital of Cairo to appeal to both leisure and business travellers alike. It is also extremely pleasing that our service to Cairo will be operated in cooperation with EgyptAir. This will enable each of us to benefit from our strengths in our respective home markets to promote and sell seats on each others’ services.

“The frequency enhancement to schedules on routes from Heathrow to Amman and Beirut will be welcomed by travellers. Together, these major network enhancements will enable much greater flexibility in planning business travel itineraries

“The new destination, service and frequency enhancements that we are announcing today, together with the full integration of the former BMED network into bmi, represents the biggest expansion that we will have ever undertaken in a single action.

“The number of destinations that bmi will serve from Heathrow at the start of the winter timetable will be 36. This further reinforces our position as Heathrow’s second biggest carrier and sends out a clear message of the presence of bmi as a major force within UK aviation both now and in the future.”

ends

notes

• Cairo schedule*

depart Heathrow 0905, arrive Cairo 1550 (daily)
depart Cairo 1640, arrive Heathrow 1950 (daily)

• Cairo is the administrative capital of Egypt and has virtually all Egypt’s famous pyramids, a major draw for tourists, on its doorstep. The city has the world’s seventh largest metropolitan population - nearly 16 million people

• Amman schedule*

Heathrow-Amman
BD6533 depart 2100, arrive 0410 (Mon)
BD6533 depart 1515, arrive 2225 (Tues & Thurs)
BD6587 depart 1430, arrive 2140 (Weds)
BD6533 depart 2100, arrive 0410 (Fri)
BD6533 depart 1320, arrive 2030 (Sat)
BD6521 depart 1455, arrive 2205 (Sun)

Amman-Heathrow
BD6522 depart 0910, arrive 1300 (Mon)
BD6534 depart 0915, arrive 1305 (Tues)
BD6534 depart 0825, arrive 1215 (Weds)
BD6588 depart 0810, arrive 1200 (Thurs)
BD6534 depart 0825, arrive 1215 (Fri)
BD6534 depart 0945, arrive 1335 (Sat)
BD6534 depart 0625, arrive 1015 (Sun)

• Beirut schedule*
Heathrow-Beirut
BD6509 depart 1535, arrive 2220 (Mon)
BD6509 depart 1600, arrive 2245 (Tues)
BD6505 depart 2100, arrive 0345 (Weds)
BD6517 depart 1615, arrive 2300 (Thurs)
BD6505 depart 1320, arrive 2005 (Fri)
BD6509 depart 1425, arrive 2110 (Sat)
BD6557 depart 1400, arrive 2045 (Sun)

Beirut-Heathrow
BD6558 depart 0735, arrive 1105 (Mon)
BD6510 depart 0830, arrive 1200 (Tues)
BD6510 depart 0835, arrive 1205 (Weds)
BD6506 depart 0845, arrive 1215 (Thurs)
BD6518 depart 0835, arrive 1205 (Fri)
BD6506 depart 0720, arrive 1050 (Sat)
BD6510 depart 0730, arrive 1100 (Sun)

* all times local

Last edited by ajamieson; Jul 18, 2007 at 4:10 am
Old Jul 18, 2007, 4:07 am

Programs: *G SPG Platinum
I dont get it....

Why are BMI publishing I-class fares ex CAI......

GBP 388+ taxes CAI-LHR-CAI

Hmmmmmmm
Old Jul 18, 2007, 4:10 am

Programs: Various lustrous chemical elements
Taken from http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/abou...=2007&rid=1147

bmi destinations from Heathrow for winter 2007/08:
  • Aberdeen, UK
  • Addis Ababa, Ethiopia;
  • Aleppo, Syria;
  • Almaty, Kazakhstan;
  • Amman, Jordan;
  • Amsterdam, Netherlands;
  • Ankara, Turkey;
  • Baku, Azerbaijan;
  • Beirut, Lebanon;
  • Belfast City, UK;
  • Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan;
  • Brussels, Belgium;
  • Cairo, Egypt;
  • Dakar, Senegal;
  • Damascus, Syria;
  • Dublin, Republic of Ireland;
  • Durham Tees Valley, UK;
  • Edinburgh, UK;
  • Ekaterinburg, Russia;
  • Freetown, Sierra Leone;
  • Glasgow, UK;
  • Hanover, Germany;
  • Inverness, UK;
  • Jeddah, Saudi Arabia;
  • Jersey, Channel Islands;
  • Khartoum, Sudan;
  • Leeds Bradford, UK;
  • Lyon, France;
  • Manchester, UK;
  • Moscow, Russia;
  • Palma de Mallorca, Spain;
  • Riyadh, Saudi Arabia;
  • Tbilisi, Georgia;
  • Tehran, Iran;
  • Venice, Italy;
  • Yerevan, Armenia
Old Jul 18, 2007, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Some real surprises in store there for cabin crew used to spending the night in Leeds or Aberdeen ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.