Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow - Cairo from October 28th

Old Jul 16, 07, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Looks like the oft rumoured CAI route is to start in October. Either using a BMED aircraft or a new A320 conversion similar to the DME aircraft.

BD771 LHR/CAI 09:05/15:50
BD772 CAI/LHR 16:40/19:50
Old Jul 16, 07, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Excellent news. The next 12 months are going to be really exciting times for bmi and their loyal followers, especially when it comes to redeeming those miles and UG vouchers
Old Jul 16, 07, 11:41 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Gold/Emerald, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, EY Gold, QR, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by spanishflea View Post
Looks like the oft rumoured CAI route is to start in October. Either using a BMED aircraft or a new A320 conversion similar to the DME aircraft.

BD771 LHR/CAI 09:05/15:50
BD772 CAI/LHR 16:40/19:50
v. interesting news, but does this really compete with BA & it's CW & F seats??
Old Jul 17, 07, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
The BA flights go at ludicrously inconvenient times - landing at midnight and returning at 8am - which force you to book more hotel nights than you actually need, as well as get to be bed late and get up laughably early.

If BMI uses the same seats as the Moscow route, this looks like a reasonable alternative to BA.
Old Jul 17, 07, 2:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Hmmm, time to start introducing Cairo into the conversation at home for a little break later this year. Mrs RAPC won't see this one coming as she won't see Cairo on the BMI site yet. She'll think I'm genuinely suggesting somewhere, rather than it being for BMI miles or hotel nights!

And as has been pointed out, the flight timings look pretty convenient too. Good news all round ^
Old Jul 17, 07, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
I was there last month for a holiday. If you stay at the Four Seasons Nile Plaza you'll have a good time - do NOT skimp on hotels as its the only bit of sanity you will get!

The only downer at the FS is they really whack you for their cars and drivers - more than double what the InterCon Citystars (the other place I stayed) wanted. Everything else is spectacular, though.
Old Jul 17, 07, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Also provides good transatlantic connections on the outbound. That should get a few bums on seats straight away, especially with a UA codeshare.
Old Jul 17, 07, 2:19 am

Great news indeed. Deffo have to take a trip on that although I wasnt impressed with Cairo last time but will give it another go. So CAI and TLV.... wonder where will be next .
Old Jul 17, 07, 2:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Are there likely to be decent fares ex CAI?
Old Jul 17, 07, 3:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Deleted

Last edited by RAPC; Jul 17, 07 at 4:40 am
Old Jul 17, 07, 4:07 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
Are there likely to be decent fares ex CAI?
The cheap ex-CAI fares are actually full IATA fares that just happen to be really cheap from Egypt. These fares will automatically be applicable to BD flights. But if they're the same price would you choose BD or BA (and F is cheap too so you'd be giving away a class on BD)? I suppose BD miles are more valuable.

One thing to note though is there's no way to get a LON stopover on an IATA fare: CAI-LON(stop)-NYC would reprice as full fare LON-NYC.
Old Jul 17, 07, 4:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Isn't Egyptair joining Star? Or am I getting confused with Turkish?
Old Jul 17, 07, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
Isn't Egyptair joining Star? Or am I getting confused with Turkish?
Turkish!

An airline that actually flies into MAN, Wow!
Old Jul 17, 07, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Egyptair also have plans to join star in 18 months or so IIRC
Old Jul 17, 07, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
The BA flights go at ludicrously inconvenient times - landing at midnight and returning at 8am - which force you to book more hotel nights than you actually need, as well as get to be bed late and get up laughably early.
What time do you call laughably early?

Having OLCI'd my wife and son yesterday morning for this morning's BA154 CAI-LHR, we got up at 6:15AM today in our CAI apartment overlooking the Nile, showered, had breakfast and had my car and driver leave the apartment at 7:05AM, arriving at the airport at 7:30AM, just in time for them to drop the bags off and have a quick drink in the CAI lounge before boarding the flight. A perfectly reasonable and stress free start to the day.

Yes I agree, the summer 00:20AM arrival time is a pain, but given that if you're only travelling ex-LHR your body clock is still two hours behind on UK time it's no big deal.

At least with BA's flight arrival and departure times you're not trying to get to/from the airport in the usually chaotic traffic conditions.

Having said all that, I might try out the British opposition when they start on the route.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: