Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impressions of British Midland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2000, 3:38 pm
Original Member

Just did RT LHR-GLA, out early Sat AM, back midafternoon Sun, for USD 97, all tx included. Full hot bfst in the AM, sandwich coming back.

Good service--Southwest-esque room and seats.

jl
Old Jan 14, 2000, 3:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
jamiel -
What about the weight restrictions on carry on - were they as strict as everyone has been saying?
Old Jan 15, 2000, 5:42 pm
Original Member

I concur that they are very strict about carry-on. However, I love BD.. I think they are a wonderful little airline The Airbuses are particularly nice. I am really looking forward to then getting their Transatlantic licences.

Note carefully: The sandwiches are small but great - very tasty

Also, if you have a (UK issued) Amex platinum you can use the BD lounges with a valid boarding pass.

[This message has been edited by james (edited 01-15-2000).]
Old Jan 16, 2000, 7:02 am

Ok, I am going to break ranks here. I was a great fan of BD, I have never thought the service was as good as BA's, but I always thought it was good.

However, my recent experiences have been variable. Basically I find, if the aircraft is half-empty the service is great, if it is full it is not good!

I don't fly British Midland a great deal as they are currently a last choice - which is saying something as East Midlands airport (their base) is about 20 miles from my home, and is easily the closest airport to me - instead I travel to Birmingham and use BA whenever possible.

Nick
Old Jan 16, 2000, 3:42 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the reviews.

I'm about to ask a stupid question: what is the equivalent in pounds/weight of 7 Kilograms (I hate it that the U.S. did not teach the metric system!)

Just want to be sure because I do plan on hopefully taking my carryon on board.
Old Jan 16, 2000, 3:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: One World
Catman, 7 kg is a little over 15lbs. It's not a lot but for 36 hrs it should be enough
Old Jan 16, 2000, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Yes, the carry-on is a big issue. Connecting at LHR wasn't that big a deal because I didn't check in there. But at AMS (even explaining that I was connecting to UA in C class), she pre-tagged the bag at checkin and told me I was subject to having it taken at the gate. I think their policy is a bit TOO extreme, given the # of UA connecting passengers. On the other hand, the europeans seem pretty well trained, and boarding is very civilized, with no last-minute carry-on police necessary. I did find the service to be most attentive on a flight with airtime of 45 mins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.