Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

LH manages to leave a bitter taste in my mouth!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA G, AC*G, PC P, Marriot Plat, Carlson Gold etc....

So I took my final DC flight yesterday back from MCO to FRA and onto BHX. I couldn't think of another place to post this rant....

LH having moved the time of the connecting flight slightly causing a 6 hr layover with a 3 and 6 yr old on a take it or leave it basis, we knew this was likely to be a painful return but did it to avoid destroying a grt 3 week holiday.

The A330 from MCO to FRA looked pristine, but the seats in C were shot. Out of 4 seats, 2 had broken earphone sockets and the third, mine, kept powering down and going into a strange position, even from sleep position. Crew were really apologetic and we didn't make a big deal of it, but really not acceptable.

The women across the isle had a cat on her knee for the entire journey! (I didn't even know this was legal and they certainly didn't ask us if we had a pet allergy!)

Back on the ground at FRA, I settled the kids in at the Jetfriends lounge which had nobody else in it, and the business lounge it was in had literally single figure occupants across 1400sqm.

I should point out at this point that my 3 yr old has a hearing issue. She is pretty quiet most times but was pretty cranky with the time difference and being stuck in one place for so long. After a couple of hours, the desk lady walks over to my daughter, says 'too loud' gives her a pillow and blanket and says 'try sleeping'!. We were carrying toys and games aplenty and she wasn't screaming, but singing (badly)!

I was fuming, but my wife was embarassed and insisted we left.

As a regular traveller, I like to think i'm pretty respectful of other people and understand the impact kids can have.

I should also point out that LH have created a kids lounge which does not (like the rest I have seen including BA's) have any partitioning. Not very bright really!

Rant over! (as is my flying on LH!)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: not a lot
Makes me glad I cancelled my upcoming MCO-FRA-EDI on LH flights in C and have went MCO-MIA-LHR-EDI in CW on BA instead.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by TheKipper
I couldn't think of another place to post this rant....
The Lufthansa Miles & More Forum?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
We must have been in MCO (Orlando - to save some the lookup) around the same time as you. I've recently returned from FRA-MCO-NYC-FRA-MAN.

FRA-MCO was OK on an A330 - seats were worn a little and the IFE was unresponsive, but the crew were excellent with my Kids (6+10) - even though they didn't eat the Kids meals ordered. They were showered with LH Gifts - amenity kits, jigsaws and small soft toys. Not a bad trip at all.

Flew back on the A380 from JFK. Same seats, already showing some wear, but the IFE much improved in speed and an excellent camera in the tail. The crew, however, were very formal and slow to raise a smile. No freebies - maybe is a business flight and not geared up for kids, who were very much evident even in C going to MCO. Not a big issue, as we were only with them for 6 hours.

The lounge in FRA does have a kids area, and, as you say, it was in the open. Too bad on LH if they can't add in a couple of partitions!

Overall I was happy with what I got for the miles - I know there's little chance of repeating the same trip in comfort again on BA, unless there is a magic spell for uncovering 4 seats in C on a holiday route.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA G, AC*G, PC P, Marriot Plat, Carlson Gold etc....
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
The Lufthansa Miles & More Forum?
LOL. Yes, but you just can't have the same quality moan in there as here!
It's just so difficult to leave.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:07 am

Should have posted it in the BA forum then!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's just so difficult to leave.
. I must say that some of the LH apologists on the M&M forum sometimes make the BA apologists next door look like fountains of patience, understanding and compassion.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One bonus of transferring out of DC is that I won't have to fly LH again.

Two flights with Lufty....one in J the other in F and both were at best average. If living in the UK I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to FRA just to fly with them.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:28 pm

Don't agree about LH leaving a bad taste in the mouth, they've always been, and continue to be, a perfectly acceptable airline to me.

So no bad taste in the mouth, just a pain in your back because of the indentation where the seat and seat back join on their Business Class seat in bed mode. Unless you're wise and remember to fill it with one of their crappy pillows.....
Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:52 am

Have to say I like the LH product and had a great experience in J on DUB-FRA-MIA last Winter. Great crew , great catering and seats comfortable. Nice lounges at FRA . Couldnt ask for more.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So you are complaining about:

- A "long" 6hr layover in FRA that you knew about before flying and that you chose to accept, probably because it was cheap or had award availability.
- C seats that were partly broken.
- A cat traveling in the same cabin but staying on the owners lap the whole flight.
- The lounge dragon asking your daughter to keep her volume of singing down to not disturb the other guests.

Is that about right? The only (very rightful) complaint to me seems the seats not working properly....

You could have entertained your daughter in other ways if you felt that 6hrs waiting in the lounge was too long.....in the air there's not much you can do, but in an airport.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm wondering if these comments about LH being so great are a different LH to which I've been flying! FRA is an awful airport for transfers! Only the new B lounge is any good, others are awful. Great seat? Ancient seat more like. Great food? Far too often some weird rubbish instead of some wholesome German food. Let's not get started on the quality of the feeder flights! But for crew, never encountered a bad one anymore than bmi!

One can definitely ask for me, and receive it with the likes of LX.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I wouldn't exactly call LH great... But I do not find them at all bad either. Sure the C-seat is a little ancient, although there are quite a lot of other airlines that still have the slanted C seats. Fortunately they have finally done something about that, now we'll just have to see how long it will take them to get rid of the old ones.

But that's really not the point here... You would have know what to expect from those C seats since they have been there forever. But being broken isn't part of that.

And calling FRA a bad airport... Sure if you have a connection and need to rush. But if you have 6hrs to navigate it's just another airport.

And for the food. I haven't had something really bad yet. Sometimes better than other, but that seems more linked to the airport of departure than to LH specifically.

But you are right, when having a choice I also fly LX C.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:43 am

I don't think anyone is this thread is calling LH "great" or anything else over positive. They're simply fine, OK, they do what they do, get you from A to B without drama or fuss. If you expect "the works" in every area because you're flying C, even F (unless you get their new hard product) you'll be sadly disappointed.

I like LH because of it. I'm a no fuss, just get me there on time, feed me something of good quality on the way and then leave me the hell alone flyer, so LH suits me to a tee.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I was referring to the post just before mine..

Originally Posted by hugolover
I'm wondering if these comments about LH being so great
And LH also suits me fine. I know what to expect and I normally get at least what I expect. And knowing what kind of C seats they have it's normally quite good. But I'm looking forward to those new seats...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.