Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Reporting successful Star Alliance Status Matches?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reporting successful Star Alliance Status Matches?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
This actually brings me neatly onto what I logged on to FT to ask today. My original intention to was to get BD*G renewed (which I did in Feb '12) and then start using my LH card (currently Blue) with the hope of using BD for lounge access and pre-boarding while racking up SEN status. Obviously I can't do that now that BD has left *A, but in the last week I have been matched to NZ and TK *G.

So what is the best use of *G cards and miles now? I feel like I owe it to NZ and TK to travel with them (both good airlines by all accounts) but it sounds like a SEN card has more "punch" outside of the home airline. I will never reach HON status, so that doesn't feature in my thoughts here. I do about 50% of my travel into Europe but also go to the Far East and North America regularly for work, and I have family living in NZ so anticipate one trip every 12-18 months down there, and I'm most likely to try and redeem on the LHR-AKL route.

Thoughts anyone?
Old May 5, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Originally Posted by gate4lounge
I've now e-mailed A3 for status match. This is the e-mail addy I used, from their web site '[email protected]'
Excellent,thank you. I sent my status match request to this address.

Already booked 4 flights with A3 in meantime

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Originally Posted by roberino
I've never flown TK before and got a match from DC*G. Their decision to match me makes good business sense in my opinion because now I will consider TK in my east-bound long haul options where I would never have done before.
TK C is actually very good ( as long as you are on airplane with new C ) and the IST C passengers handling is also excellent ( priority security/passport controls, great C lounge ).

Service can be hit or miss, food is DO&CO - enough said

I highly recommend TK new C - beats anything except SQ and NZ 747 C IMHO.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Originally Posted by roberino
This actually brings me neatly onto what I logged on to FT to ask today. My original intention to was to get BD*G renewed (which I did in Feb '12) and then start using my LH card (currently Blue) with the hope of using BD for lounge access and pre-boarding while racking up SEN status. Obviously I can't do that now that BD has left *A, but in the last week I have been matched to NZ and TK *G.

So what is the best use of *G cards and miles now? I feel like I owe it to NZ and TK to travel with them (both good airlines by all accounts) but it sounds like a SEN card has more "punch" outside of the home airline. I will never reach HON status, so that doesn't feature in my thoughts here. I do about 50% of my travel into Europe but also go to the Far East and North America regularly for work, and I have family living in NZ so anticipate one trip every 12-18 months down there, and I'm most likely to try and redeem on the LHR-AKL route.

Thoughts anyone?
An important question to ask is, 'how easy is it to redeem miles for awards?'. In some FF schemes (TG, for example), you need to call, or even go into an office, in another country (Thailand, in that case). I doubt that is the case with NZ and I have no idea about TK. But do find out before deciding where to put your *Alliance miles.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
I also think TK's C product is excellent and IST a very nice aiport to connect in. But it has been confirmed in this forum, despite my initial thought that it was something left over from the paper ticket era, that one must go to a TK ticketing office to get an award ticket. If you must add to an award redemption the price of a trip, it can be a huge drawback. In the UK, they are London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Old May 6, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Richelieu
... it has been confirmed in this forum, despite my initial thought that it was something left over from the paper ticket era, that one must go to a TK ticketing office to get an award ticket. If you must add to an award redemption the price of a trip, it can be a huge drawback. In the UK, they are London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Wow! In this day and age that's fairly appalling. So not TK then...

That leaves me with LH or NZ. Thoughts?
Old May 6, 2012, 3:58 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
.. one must go to a TK ticketing office to get an award ticket. If you must add to an award redemption the price of a trip, it can be a huge drawback. In the UK, they are London, Birmingham and Manchester.
I assume in the Dublin case their handling agent at the airport serves as ticketing office?
Old May 6, 2012, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Yes, there is a ticket desk at DUB
Old May 6, 2012, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
I assume in the Dublin case their handling agent at the airport serves as ticketing office?
No need to worry TK just closed their Downtown ticket office and has opened it at Dublin Airport instead.
Old May 6, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by starflyergold

Indeed. For any other case, here is the complete list by country and city.
Old May 7, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
I also think TK's C product is excellent and IST a very nice aiport to connect in. But it has been confirmed in this forum, despite my initial thought that it was something left over from the paper ticket era, that one must go to a TK ticketing office to get an award ticket. If you must add to an award redemption the price of a trip, it can be a huge drawback. In the UK, they are London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Even TK's economy comfort is great - wonderful food
Old May 7, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Silver
Is there any time limit to collect your ticket before a flight?
Or can you collect them from Heathrow airport just before you checkin?
Old May 8, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Email from Star Alliance Customer Services.. Computer Says No...

BEST READ FROM THE BOTTOM UPWARDS... computer says no...

Hello,

Thank you for writing back to us at the Star Alliance Help Desk.

We are sorry to say that all member airlines will take you as a new member, means no connection with your old account (BMI) with Star Alliance.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,
Star Alliance Help Desk
STAR ALLIANCE
THE WAY THE EARTH CONNECTS
www.staralliance.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:36 PM
To: Star Alliance Helpdesk
Subject: RE: Frequent Flyer Programmes XXXXXXXXXX

Thanks for your message. I am not sure that you understood my question completely.

I am currently a BMI Diamond Club member. BMI is leaving Star Alliance, and as such BMI Diamond Club members will no longer be able to participate in Star Alliance programmes or redeem their miles on Star Alliance airlines.

I would have thought that it might be in other Star Alliance member airlines' interest to offer a status match facility to BMI Diamond Club members, if only to retain them as members of a Star Alliance programme. I would have thought Star Alliance would encourage its members to do this. Certainly it has done so in the past where a member (such as Varig or SpanAir) has gone out of business.

I would have thought this would be even more the case given that the departure of BMI means there is no longer a UK based member of Star Alliance.

For the record, my BMI Diamond club membership was the only Star Alliance programme I participated in. British Airways is a oneworld alliance member.

Thanks,

XXXXXXXX

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 08 May 2012 14:02
To:
Subject: Frequent Flyer Programmes

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us at the Star Alliance Help Desk.

Loyalty Programmes are individually operated by the member airlines, rather than combined under the Star Alliance brand.

At this time, it is not possible to combine miles from your separate accounts with different Star Alliance member airline programmes to book one award ticket. Once you have earned miles on one programme, you are not able to transfer that balance to another programme. Each programme is structured differently with different rules and requirements.

If you wish to claim an award on a member airline, you must contact your loyalty programme service centre. They will handle the booking for you. It is worth noting that you only need to be a member of one loyalty programme to accumulate and redeem miles on other Star Alliance member airlines.

Since you have multiple membership accounts we recommend that you discontinue registering your miles with some of the loyalty programmes. This way you will not split your miles from future flights. We suggest continuing with the airline you travel most with.

We hope this information is of help. Thanks again for contacting us.

Regards,
Star Alliance Help Desk
STAR ALLIANCE
THE WAY THE EARTH CONNECTS
www.staralliance.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 6:14 PM
To: Star Alliance Helpdesk
Subject: Frequent Flyer Programmes

Customer Information
---------------------------------------------------------------

E-mail Address: XXXXXXXXXXX
First Name:
Last name:
FrequentFlyerProgramme:
Airline :

Customer message
---------------------------------------------------------------

I am a member of BMI diamond club with Silver Status and a thousands of miles accumulated. I do not want to transfer these to British Airways' programme, but would prefer another Star Alliance member to status match, preferably United since that's where I travel most often. Can you help?
Old May 8, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think the wording of your initial question to them didn't help but after that you have no chance to recover the situation, they only ever remember the first question!

Anyway they are correct in that you need to contact the individual member airlines that you want to match you. Sure *A could do what they did with JK and formally announce a status match campaign but why not just try your luck with UA and see what happens?

Furthermore if you have trouble getting your bmi silver status matched, perhaps the likes of UA would be more happy to match BA silver which is worth a lot more than bmi silver (they may even match it at a higher level if they are familiar with the BA programme).
Old May 8, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (GGL/CCR) A3 Gold VS Gold Emirates Gold Alitalia MMGold HH Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jamesmax
BEST READ FROM THE BOTTOM UPWARDS... computer says no...
Just approach star FFPs individually A3, TK and SAS certainly are matching at the moment with scan of gold card and statement without any quibbles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.