Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Which FF program to replace DC for you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which FF program to replace DC for you?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC | VS FC | LH M&M
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
Any views on the United FTP? Pros and cons?
Based on what Raffles said above, if you're UK-based the UA Amex offers 1 mile per £1.

This is either a pro (earning something is better than nothing) or a con (there are other cards which offer more miles per £1 out there) - depending on whether your glass is half empty or half full.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Con: you actually need to fly United 4 times.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Since the US tends to be my most frequent destination outside Europe, I've been concentrating on UA for the last couple of years, and am about to make 1K for the second time. For 1K level it's a pretty good bet particularly if you fly mostly economy and to North America a lot. Below are the main points from my point of view -- lots more one could say:

Pros: 100% earning on almost everything; fairly low *G qualification (50k miles); very wide network now that joining with CO. 1k level is attractive with 6 system wide upgrades (also usable on single LH segment on day of travel if you get a paper certification 14 days in advance). Low taxes/fees on redemptions (e.g. z3-z1 o/w Y is 30k miles + £1.50) . Extra availability for elites. E+ on UA flights (extra legroom). Unlimited domestic upgrades (but don't hold out much hope if you are lower level gold). C+M sometimes available.

Cons: The lower *G levels will have reduced bonus miles from next year -- only 1K level still gives 100% bonus (only on certain airlines though). No domestic lounge access (unless same day international flight). International mileage upgrades on UA require co-pay except for YB. Class of service bonus not as good as DC (varies by booking class and airline). No soft landings - i.e. no gold->silver even if don't fly at all. Now requires minimum 4 UA/CO segments p.a.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
What do people think about AC? My primary concern is to get *G fairly economically (but I'm not sure I trust A3's future perhaps) and I want Domestic US lounges, which makes the US programs unattractive...though that said, with my UK AmEx Plat Priority Pass I probably have pretty decent lounge coverage in most cases anyway so maybe that's a false concern and UA might actually be a good bet for me, especially now I am based in SFO. E+ would be a nice benefit, plus the benefit of getting treated better on one's home airline - and I could (in a month or two when I've a better history built up!) get a UA CC. I already have a US AmEx so AFAIK UA remain a MR option too.

Hmmm.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
AC introduced a minimum AC metal requirement of 10K or five segments this year so may not be so easy for UK or European based BD members to earn STARGold or even STARSilver.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by jbfield
I initially wrote-off A3, however looking at the detail and compared to my own flying habits, it doesn't seem too bad.
I tend to fly BD, SQ and LX.
If BD are out of the equation, then it's mostly SQ and LX.

A lot of programmes will not credit 100% mileage for SQ's W fares, whereas A3 do. SQ flights are usually long, so this would make a big difference.
Similarly, with LX, some only give 100%, 125% or 150% for LX's P fares, whereas A3 give 200%.

My main concern with A3 is currently the ability to book one-way awards and include stopovers. I get the impression from the T&C's that stop-overs are not permitted.

TK however seem a little similar, even if the *G qualification is higher.
They do one-way awards but at 60% of the return price and no stopovers permitted on one-ways. No stop-overs on open-jaw tickets either.

I assume A3 is in a financially unstable position, however I probably trust them a bit more than I trust TK.
TK's FFP is far more better than A3 in my opinion and what comes to "reliability" of an airline i wouldn't even compare these two against each other because they are clearly playing in a different league. Not to mention the economic crisis in Greece.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joorinainen
TK's FFP is far more better than A3 in my opinion and what comes to "reliability" of an airline i wouldn't even compare these two against each other because they are clearly playing in a different league. Not to mention the economic crisis in Greece.
no kidding. 49.2% is owned by the gov't.
TK has expanded like crazy in last few years - and is a worldwide recognized airline flying to 5 continents. A3 is a small regional player.

In 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 THY carried 17 million, 19.7 million, 22.5 million, 25.1 million and 29 million passengers with total revenues of US$2.23, $3.0, $4.5, $4 and $5.6 billion, respectively
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
A3 i think would be the natural choice but their earn rate is pretty variable. I have built up status with UA and I like it for the UDU, the earn rate and MFU. Its not a perfect program - copay for MFU and 150% and the cut in bonus to 50% from next year but it works. I will also miss the ability to use lounge access when travelling domestically, as I did just this with my DC card here in Denver now. I guess some of it also depends on what BA does, what travel patterns we have, and what others in *A do to status match.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by rankourabu
no kidding. 49.2% is owned by the gov't.
TK has expanded like crazy in last few years - and is a worldwide recognized airline flying to 5 continents. A3 is a small regional player.

In 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 THY carried 17 million, 19.7 million, 22.5 million, 25.1 million and 29 million passengers with total revenues of US$2.23, $3.0, $4.5, $4 and $5.6 billion, respectively
To that end, TK is doing pretty well and possibly in the future won't need to be as attractive to it's customers as A3, the smaller player, needs to be...hence I just can't but help think TK would devalue/"enhance" their programme in a year or two's time, once they move from the growth stage to maturity,
i.e. just as one build's up a reasonable amount of miles to use.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do you guys honestly expect 20,000 miles for Star Gold to last long?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:08 pm

Speaking for myself, of course not.

I notice TK provide Gold for two years.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:42 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by joorinainen
How is it too good to be true? I can't see anything on the program that is "too good to be true"?
To clarify....assuming lots of people decide to use A3 for status only, and some other program for accruing all miles after the first 20k. Then A3 are likely to move quickly to change the program as the costs would be very high unless they also get the benefit of being paid when members credit miles.

The restrictions such as no changes allowed once redemptions are ticketed are very severe with A3. If anything happens, you lose your miles

DC was profitable for a long time due to the fact that some very high earners in *A were crediting miles to the program.

So I think that the *G for 20k will not last for long....

Last edited by soy; Nov 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by jbfield
To that end, TK is doing pretty well and possibly in the future won't need to be as attractive to it's customers as A3, the smaller player, needs to be...hence I just can't but help think TK would devalue/"enhance" their programme in a year or two's time, once they move from the growth stage to maturity,
i.e. just as one build's up a reasonable amount of miles to use.
A3 is a safe bet for a long time to come so switching to them is the best option for quick status. They have a medium size but great product to various European cities. They are closely alligned to LH and reliable.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, Alaska G, LH, HHonors, Accor, Priority Club; Tufty Club Diamond
Does anyone know whether any of the other schemes work on membership years rather than calendar years, for status?

I'm about to fly two return trips to the US in Y, so could easily earn 20,000+ miles for that, but there's not much point in me pushing that many status miles into a calendar-year system like United or AC.

I could go Aegean but the first flight, at least, with them, is only 50% miles at current fares.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:07 pm

TK offers a personal membership year rather than calender.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.