Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles (2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles (2011)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Can anyone point me to a thread or sticky with regards to UK airport departure tax? Checked some forums, but found it best to ask here.

Is it charged for stopovers, and not layovers?

Only in C/F?

If so can I avoid by travelling ex-UK in Y like OSL-LHR C, LHR-FRA Y, FRA-NRT F?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by travelkid
Is it charged for stopovers, and not layovers?
If the stopover exceeds 24 hours it is only charged to the point of the stopover, less than 24 hours then to the final destination in one of the 4 bands by distance. If the intention is to use a DC redemption, unfortunately stopovers >24 hours are not allowed in Zone 1 or 2 so a separate flight on a different PNR is required. This can lead to some of the problems no with connections that have been discussed, you are not protected in case of missed connections

Only in C/F?
No, but it is double in C/F versus Y [/QUOTE]

If so can I avoid by travelling ex-UK in Y like OSL-LHR C, LHR-FRA Y, FRA-NRT F?
APD is only charged on tickets ex UK at the highest band applicable for the final destination and class of travel. So this itinerary would be APD free.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:21 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Platinum; IHG Diamond-Amb.; Meli/HH/Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by apuleius
the LX flights were not available through the ICC as they were in C class not I which apparently is the reward class in Business.
Thanks for confirming. Available award seats (I inventory, as you correctly say) were showing on the flights you looked at, but that was M&M availability and they're obviously not letting us have it at the moment.

I now have to find a convenient hotel in Frankfurt as the positioning flight is the day before (to be safe).
The most convenient right now is the Sheraton, which is inside the airport. The C+P option (60 USD plus 4,000 points) always seems reasonable value to me. But by the time you travel the new Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn should be open, also reachable on foot within the airport complex. I'm expecting the HGI to become my FRA hotel of choice once that happens.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: Diamond Club Silver, BAEC Silver,HHonors Silver, Virgin
Thanks for the hotel information - a good tip re using miles and cash for the Sheraton and I'll look out for the Hilton.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Between Midi and BRU, journey time is between 20 and 25 mins, which is quicker than Paris Nord - CDG, but only (up to) 4 trains an hour (and IMHO, a much more pleasant experience than the Paris RER)
An alternative avoiding central Paris is to change in Lille and take one of the TGVs that go through CDG. Fares to CDG via Lille will, however, often be more expensive than fares to Gare du Nord.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
wrong thread! sorry.

Last edited by pbd456; Feb 15, 2011 at 12:00 am
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: Diamond Club Silver, BAEC Silver,HHonors Silver, Virgin
IMH - can you advise how I get the deal on the FRA Sheraton - $60 + cash and miles, as I can't seem to find this on the BMI site. Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:30 am

IMH - can you advise how I get the deal on the FRA Sheraton - $60 + cash and miles, as I can't seem to find this on the BMI site. Thanks.

Not on the BMI site, it is on the sheraton's (SPG) site, and it is NOT with BMI miles!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:46 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It's called a Starwood Cash + Points redemption. For the FRA Sheraton you need 4K Starwood points and a co-payment of 60 USD to get a room instead of 10K Starwood points IIRC. Nothing to do with BD DC miles.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
APD is only charged on tickets ex UK at the highest band applicable for the final destination and class of travel. So this itinerary would be APD free.
Thanks.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

I understand international to international is APD free. Just to confirm, regardless of the stopover time? As long as its one journey/pnr?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:33 am

Stop overs are not allowed in zone 1 or zone 2.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: BMI, KLM
LHR to LAX (NZ, Business Class) to LAS (UA, Economy Class)

LAS-YUL (stopover)-LHR - (AC, Economy)

Both in the summer this year for 2.

Cash and miles.

18750 miles + 281.53 cash total (inc CC fee) per person outbound
12500 miles + 184.60 cash total (inc CC fee) per person inbound

Pretty happy, I guess - at least I get to try NZ Business. I have tried to mask the amount of tax I have paid, as it always makes me weep in hopeless rage, but I think its about right.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:39 am

I understand international to international is APD free. Just to confirm, regardless of the stopover time?
I think APD is free only for what HMRC class as 'connecting flights', and they're ones less than 24 hours.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: BMI, BA, BA Amex, Marriott
MAN - LHR - BKK (stop over) - KTM return in F & C (and yes I plan to go to KTM) for Dec 2011. Booked as 2 one ways

ICC was great, less then 10 mins!

Miles + Cash for 2 pax = 125,000 miles + 1,728.34 in cash and taxes

Can't wait for the TG F experience both ways ^
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by marble
I think APD is free only for what HMRC class as 'connecting flights', and they're ones less than 24 hours.
Yes, my investigation confirmed this.
Intnl to intnl is fine with UK stopover less than 24 hours only.

The APD is really only bad when travelling more than 2000 miles from ex-UK (most of Europe, parts of Middle East and North Africa is fine), and especially in J/F as its double then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.