Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Points for airport upgraded business class with Air Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club

I recently (Aug) flew to LA via Toronto with Air Canada. It wasn't until after I bought the tickets that I realised Diamond Club would not give me the points as they were N class which are not eligible for points.

As I only needed a couple of thousand more points to retain silver and my year was up just after my flight back to London I decided at check-in to pay to upgrade to business class to Toronto so that I would get some points. The check-in clerk said the upgraded flight would be Z class which shows on the bmi website as getting 1x miles.

I am concerned as the points still have not been credited to my account. Does anyone know if I am entitled to these points?

I was about to send in the boarding pass but notice it has the class as ET J and also shows the code ML*1. Can anyone shed some light on these codes and whether it will affect my entitlement to the points? I am worried that as it was an upgrade at the airport there are some restrictions on whether points are awarded.

Thanks for any help and as this is my first post on flyertalk I hope I have posted in the correct section.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:34 am
G*G

Have had the same in the past although w paid u/g on UA - no luck. Have also heard of others in the same scenario where the upgraded class has been credited instead of the paid one. It seems a little touch and go - and potentially related to how the u/g is made in the system - e.g. actually booked in another RBD or op-upped without any change of the actual reservation. Good luck with your retro-claim!
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Usually paid upgrades still earn at the original rate unfortunately. That isn't to say that these won't earn you anything, but I'd be surprised. Normally you get a boarding card with a new fare code for the upgraded segment, but the original fare code remains in the booking. If you submitted a claim to DC, they would then check with AC to credit the miles, at which point they will most likely confirm your original N fare unless the agent at check-in did something to change the whole segment.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Welcome to flyertalk.

You might have been very unlucky, but, frequently upgrades sold at the airport don't count for points/credit as they are a cheap option, they frequently don't really put you in the correct class for mileage purposes. That said, the clerk at the airport should have known this and mentioned if it was going to be a problem.

Searching for ML*1 using google gives this post;
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ml-2-mean.html

Another related post implies (a post from 2002?) that you will be stuck with the class you paid for with regards to crediting... so you got sold a dud... I'd complain to AC and ask for your money back, or, perhaps try with DC and hope for the best...
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:53 am
Original Poster

The agent at check-in said it would be Z class and the on the itinerary print out it shows that particular flight as Z executive and the other flights as N economy. On the bmi website it shows that Z class are awarded 1x miles.
I guess the only way to find out is to send in to bmi and see what they say
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

I should complain to AC as I told the agent the reason I was paying for the upgrade was to get the miles so that I would have enough to retain silver.
I very much doubt they'll give me my money back though
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by 123abc
The agent at check-in said it would be Z class and the on the itinerary print out it shows that particular flight as Z executive and the other flights as N economy. On the bmi website it shows that Z class are awarded 1x miles.
I guess the only way to find out is to send in to bmi and see what they say
It will be in Z class, but at the same time the Z class applies to the flight, but doesn't necessarily change the reservation which most likely remained as N for earning purposes.

Re getting a refund as suggested by littlevoices - I doubt there is a chance. AC are selling an upgrade to a business cabin and this is what was delivered. Even if the agent did promise miles, proving it is another matter. That is assuming that the miles don't post if you submit a claim.

You may as well submit the boarding card and see what happens, then see if you wish to pursue with AC if it doesn't credit.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by 123abc
Thanks for your replies.

I should complain to AC as I told the agent the reason I was paying for the upgrade was to get the miles so that I would have enough to retain silver.
I very much doubt they'll give me my money back though
Did you specifically mention miles in Diamond Club when you paid for the upgrade?

I'm sure the average AC agent, even in LHR, has absolutely zero knowledge of earnings in Diamond Club or any other Star Alliance airline FFP. They probably knew that Z earned 100% in Aeroplan and it's that to which they were referring.

As other's have said, send it in and see what happens. You've nothing to lose.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I'll give it a try. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.