Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Best Western | Best Western Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best Western won’t honor low price guarantee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Ok, so I book at room at bestwestern.com. Then 5 minutes later, find the same room at hotels.com for less. I apply for their low price guarantee and figure they will just honor it.

They deny it cause hotels.com does not offer a guaranteed non-smoking room. Everything else was the same. Same dates, bed and hotel, just no guaranteed smoking or non-smoking room. Hotels.com does not offer a smoking type. So, basically, every claim from hotels.com is denied.

I called customer service, talked to a supervisor. Gave them the choice of canceling the reservation or honoring the price… But, they can’t do that either. See, since they responded to the low price guarantee after the cancellation policy they can’t kill the res.

I have no status with Best Western. Their Low Price Guarantee is a farce! Any ideas on who to call. It’s only a few bucks, but apparently nobody at Best Western knows anything other than how to read a policy book.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:50 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by BW Site
If a customer finds a lower rate with the same criteria on another web site, Best Western will match the lower rate and give the customer an additional ten percent discount. In order to file a claim, the customer can go to the Best Western web site or call customer service at 1-800-528-1238. All claims must be filed within 48 hours of making the Best Western reservation, and guests must provide their Best Western confirmation number.

The competitor's Internet rate must be viewable and bookable via their web site. Fax, mail, email, coupons or discounts that do not guarantee the reservation online will not qualify as proof of the lower rate. The customer is not required to have a confirmed reservation on the competitor's web site.

Best Western International is THE WORLD'S LARGEST HOTEL CHAIN® with more than 4,100 hotels in 83 countries and territories. It is a membership association of independently owned and operated hotels that provides marketing, reservations and operational support to its members. Best Western is the official hotel of NASCAR.
Pretty straight forward to me... you don't have a claim.....
Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not so clear to me. If BW.com has a smoking room at the lower price then the OP has no claim. If the smoking and n/s rooms are both above the hotels.com price, how is this a clear-cut issue? Even though both prices would be higher, BW is claiming an exemption because the customer can't specify at booking. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Perhaps the OP can clarify??
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
It may not seem fair, but it is consistent with what I've read in other forums. I've always viewed the guarantee as equivalent to those offered by car dealers who say they'll pay you $1,000 if they can't match someone else's deal. Marketing.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Every room is non-smoking

The problem was that Hotels.com does not offer the choice of smoking or non-smoking. It’s gets even better, the hotel is a non-smoking hotel. Every single room is non-smoking, so the point is mute. No matter where I booked the room… It was going to be non-smoking.

I finally called the hotel directly, talked the manager and they honored the low price guarantee with a smile.

The Hotel was ashamed at how I was treated by Best Western Corp. Even going so far as to say that the service has really gone downhill since they outsourced the call center to the Philippines.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
I just did a low price guarantee claim through their claim form on the internet. The lower price was on expedia. They responded favorably within 12 hours (on a Sunday!). Not a huge price break (10%) but I can accrue BW points, unlike Expedia.

To the OP, being able to guarantee a non-smoking room is extremely valuable. Really, I won't use Expedia anymore after they screwed up my one reservation and I got stuck at a place with only smoking rooms. Was sick the whole day after.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:34 am

In my one experience with this sort of issue, the BW Grosvenor at SFO would not budge on the best-price guarantee. Their rate was something like $140, while hotels.com or whatever site had rooms at $70. Their excuse was exactly the same regarding "exact" types of rooms, etc.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:11 pm

I've had similar experiences with BW. One trick BW seems to use is that they make rooms with slightly different amenities exclusively available to discount outlets like Expedia (for example, rooms without a coffee maker and mini-fridge), then claim that the Expedia rooms are not the same rooms that are available on the BW website.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
I've had similar experiences with BW. One trick BW seems to use is that they make rooms with slightly different amenities exclusively available to discount outlets like Expedia (for example, rooms without a coffee maker and mini-fridge), then claim that the Expedia rooms are not the same rooms that are available on the BW website.
At that point, I suppose there is nothing preventing you from booking from the cheaper site, especially when the difference is quite significant.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:38 pm

I have to report a recent good experience with the rate guarantee. I had looked into the BW Moa in Berlin, where the rate online was something like 100€, and corporate was happy to match the hotels.com rate of 65€. Same room type, same dates, etc. The only catch was that it was a multi-night rate, so I wonder what would have happened if I had checked out early....
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
yea, I found that "Low Price Guarantee" is a LOAD OF CRAP

See my recent experience here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/best-...bw-so-far.html
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by blankfortj
The problem was that Hotels.com does not offer the choice of smoking or non-smoking. It’s gets even better, the hotel is a non-smoking hotel. Every single room is non-smoking, so the point is mute. No matter where I booked the room… It was going to be non-smoking.

I finally called the hotel directly, talked the manager and they honored the low price guarantee with a smile.

The Hotel was ashamed at how I was treated by Best Western Corp. Even going so far as to say that the service has really gone downhill since they outsourced the call center to the Philippines.
Next time just go talk to the night person at the hotel, they normally will fix whatever you are demanding in an instant just so you can let them go back to sleep
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:40 pm

I was able to use the best rate guarantee.
Booked in Banff, found a better rate for 1 of the days (expedia.ca seemed to forget it was a long weekend & didn't raise the rate for the Sunday)
I got the lower rate from BW and eventually a $100 gift card!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by blankfortj

Glad you got what you deserved.
Old May 5, 2015, 3:37 am

try trivago to do the price comparison before booking : )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.