Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

Starting this thread in hopes that these types of questions will be consolidated here. I'm hope those with experience at certain stations will share their experiences here.

Helpful info to include:
  • Your Avis status
  • Car type/class reserved (and maybe method used to reserve)
  • General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays)

Let's call this a trial run ^
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:12 pm

Avis status : Preferred
Car type/class reserved : Premium
General timing : Fri, Feb, 5
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Car Type/Class Reserved: Premium
General Timing: March 12-20 (Willing to adjust pickup day based on best car availability)
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...-upgrades.html
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
You've missed the goal, I think.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by 1kIAH
Car Type/Class Reserved: Premium
General Timing: March 12-20 (Willing to adjust pickup day based on best car availability)

Best car availability at IAH is Saturday Morning-Sunday Morning when the bulk of the business travelers don't have cars checked out. Premium at IAH is typically a Taurus Limited but the last time I got a Volvo V60 (base with no options). The exchange aisle is typically a bunch of intermediate SUVs and the occasional Nissan Frontier pickup truck. As PC you should be able to score a Lincoln MKZ/MKT/MKS if that's to your liking, I haven't heard of IAH upgrading people to BMWs but anything is possible. They normally reserve the newest Lincolns (MKX, MKC) for the Chairmen's club members to the left of the Preferred booth
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Avis status: PC
Car type/class reserved: Midsize
General timing: Sunday 2/7 noon (one-day rental)

I would kill for a LaCrosse...

-J.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by jrm1316
last time I got a Volvo V60 (base with no options).
In the last ~2 years, I've seen more & more Volvos at Avis. They are *all* the T5 version, which is their code for "lowest package available."
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by jrm1316
Best car availability at IAH is Saturday Morning-Sunday Morning when the bulk of the business travelers don't have cars checked out. Premium at IAH is typically a Taurus Limited but the last time I got a Volvo V60 (base with no options). The exchange aisle is typically a bunch of intermediate SUVs and the occasional Nissan Frontier pickup truck. As PC you should be able to score a Lincoln MKZ/MKT/MKS if that's to your liking, I haven't heard of IAH upgrading people to BMWs but anything is possible. They normally reserve the newest Lincolns (MKX, MKC) for the Chairmen's club members to the left of the Preferred booth
Thanks for the response.

I'm interested to see whether I would be able to score a Large SUV (Escalade?) on a Premium res.

Or would I be better off booking F, and then haggling the upgrade price?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:45 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by 1kIAH
Thanks for the response.

I'm interested to see whether I would be able to score a Large SUV (Escalade?) on a Premium res.

Or would I be better off booking F, and then haggling the upgrade price?

As a PC, you might be able to get a large SUV on a premium, depends on their inventory. I'd be very surprised if you get an Escalade. As a CHM on premium reservations, I'm shot down most times on that.

Really depends on the full v premium haggling. Depends on who is in the booth and what the manager says.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
As a PC, you might be able to get a large SUV on a premium, depends on their inventory. I'd be very surprised if you get an Escalade. As a CHM on premium reservations, I'm shot down most times on that.

Really depends on the full v premium haggling. Depends on who is in the booth and what the manager says.
Thanks for the response!

Would I be better off trying to rent a minivan?

Some background: My sister is getting married that week, and I'd like to have a "nicer" car to drive around in for both myself, and during the wedding, her. Trying to figure out how I can wrangle a Caddy (pref. Escalade or XTS) for the time period I'm renting short of outright booking it. I have a ton of Hertz points, but they don't allow Large SUVs on points rentals unfortunately.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:48 pm

Status: Preferred (this will be my 1st rental as Preferred)
Car type/class reserved: Intermediate SUV (Ford Escape)
Timing: Sat 930AM, (Non holidays/not Spring Break)
Rate: $199 all in for the 7 days
Booked online with SW code and $25 coupon code

This is a 30th wedding anniversary and 50th birthdays trip so
Hoping for well equipped and a comfortable ride.
Probably will add Sirius XM
Will be driving 1000+ miles loop through AZ and UT
Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by PMFan
Status: Preferred (this will be my 1st rental as Preferred)
Car type/class reserved: Intermediate SUV (Ford Escape)
Timing: Sat 930AM, (Non holidays/not Spring Break)
Rate: $199 all in for the 7 days
Booked online with SW code and $25 coupon code

This is a 30th wedding anniversary and 50th birthdays trip so
Hoping for well equipped and a comfortable ride.
Probably will add Sirius XM
Will be driving 1000+ miles loop through AZ and UT
Probably will be an Escape. Try and find one that has a Titanium badge and asked the preferred desk to change you to it, works most of the time. You can also try your luck at finding an Edge Titanium and be at their mercy. I find that AVIS Employees are generally nice. My experience last week at LAS proved this to be true and were quite friendly.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:37 am

Car Class: H/Luxury

I made the bizarre decision to pay $200 more for 'Chrysler 300S or other similar Group H car' instead of 'Chrysler 300 Limited or other similar Group G car' on the assumption that there might be something nicer than a 300 in H rather than G..

I just know I'll be rewarded with a 300 and that it'll be $200 extra to have bigger wheels and bucket seats over the Limited - this has to be the smallest class difference ever Avis
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:21 pm

Question Class H car

I have a reservation at LAS late May for Class H car. What will I expect? Any recent experience? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.