Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:07 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwi_norway
Hi all,

Just booked an Avis rental from LAX for 20 days in August. Booked through holidayautos.co.uk.

Through the booking site, I decided to book a "Standard / Intermediate" car (example was a "Ford Fusion or similar"), but the resultant rental voucher says I'm booked for a "Group D - SCAR" listed as a "Standard / Intermediate similar to Chrysler 200".

From the wiki at the top of this thread, I'm a bit confused... The Chrysler 200 seems to only be classed as Group C (Intermediate), while the Fusion is classed as Group E (Full-size).

Any ideas what I'm likely to end up with, when I've got a Group D - SCAR booking? Should I prep for a little complaining if I do end up with the Chrysler 200?
3rd party booking sites are notorious for having improper vehicles listed for the standard in that category. I think the issue comes down to:
-As cars are redesigned, they sometimes swap categories (Fusion used to be Standard but now is full; Impala/Taurus used to be Full but are now Premium)
-Different car companies list cars in different categories
-Different car companies have different names for their categories

I'd expect Class D with your reservation, but maybe you'll get an upgrade.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Earthlings
At my local Avis /Budget location (not at the airport) they had a Toyota Highlander. Do they have many of them in the US locations?
They're out there (offered one in BOS recently) but I don't see a ton.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:12 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
3rd party booking sites are notorious for having improper vehicles listed for the standard in that category. I think the issue comes down to:
-As cars are redesigned, they sometimes swap categories (Fusion used to be Standard but now is full; Impala/Taurus used to be Full but are now Premium)
-Different car companies list cars in different categories
-Different car companies have different names for their categories

I'd expect Class D with your reservation, but maybe you'll get an upgrade.
Thanks IAHtraveler.

So, if I get handed the Chrysler 200 that the rental voucher states, you'd consider that a downgrade for Class D, right?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by kiwi_norway
Thanks IAHtraveler.

So, if I get handed the Chrysler 200 that the rental voucher states, you'd consider that a downgrade for Class D, right?
I haven't seen any 200s at LAX recently, so maybe that will help make you feel better.

The 200 does fit into the Int/Stnd category, but it's probably one of the worst choices. I would see if they had anything else. They may even bump you up to a full size for free, or premium for a very low cost.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:45 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Ended up with a Charger. No complaints from me!
(Although the boss might not like the fuel expenses at the end of 3 weeks).
:-D
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
which class is the K900?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:22 pm

Picked up a 2015 Volvo V60 in Ice White this afternoon at DCA. T5 Drive FWD model with the Leather option. No other real options. No back-up camera or GPS. I wanted this specific model so I was really happy to get it on a Luxury H class reservation (walked through the garage and found the spot number before I went to the Preferred desk - agent said no problem with my request).
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Sing1eMalt
Picked up a 2015 Volvo V60 in Ice White this afternoon at DCA. T5 Drive FWD model with the Leather option. No other real options. No back-up camera or GPS. I wanted this specific model so I was really happy to get it on a Luxury H class reservation (walked through the garage and found the spot number before I went to the Preferred desk - agent said no problem with my request).
Nice. I'm hoping to rent on in the next month or so, looking to actually buy one when my current lease is up.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I just had a luxury rental at HSV (Huntsville, AL) and was given a Hyundai Genesis. I was surprised this is classified as a Luxury, since it is a Premium for National. I looked back in this thread and others have confirmed the Genesis is a Luxury, but that they were decked out with GPS , among other options. The Genesis I was given didn't have even a multi-media screen, let alone GPS, just a very basic model with monochrome LCD screen showing the radio stations. I usually rent in the Luxury class to guarantee a built-in GPS system, and this is the first time I have received a Luxury without it.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:38 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike
I just had a luxury rental at HSV (Huntsville, AL) and was given a Hyundai Genesis. I was surprised this is classified as a Luxury, since it is a Premium for National. I looked back in this thread and others have confirmed the Genesis is a Luxury, but that they were decked out with GPS , among other options. The Genesis I was given didn't have even a multi-media screen, let alone GPS, just a very basic model with monochrome LCD screen showing the radio stations. I usually rent in the Luxury class to guarantee a built-in GPS system, and this is the first time I have received a Luxury without it.
Can you check your receipt to show if they listed the car as Lux or Premium? They might have snuck in a downgrade. I agree the older model Genesis should NOT be luxury. They don't have nearly as many options as most luxury cars and the interior feels very dated.

On a side note: I had a Kia K900 from BOS last week and it was amazing. This is the corporate twin to the new Genesis. Too bad one of the LED headlights was out and I didn't make it too far out of the garage and had to swap for a beat up MKS
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Can you check your receipt to show if they listed the car as Lux or Premium? They might have snuck in a downgrade. I agree the older model Genesis should NOT be luxury. They don't have nearly as many options as most luxury cars and the interior feels very dated.

On a side note: I had a Kia K900 from BOS last week and it was amazing. This is the corporate twin to the new Genesis. Too bad one of the LED headlights was out and I didn't make it too far out of the garage and had to swap for a beat up MKS
My receipt did state the Genesis was a Luxury class.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by mittencuh
Nice. I'm hoping to rent on in the next month or so, looking to actually buy one when my current lease is up.
Actually I had Luxury reservations and they automatically downgraded me to premium when I asked for the V60.

I was actually driving it myself to see if it was something I would want to buy as it really interested me.

The car drove well, I put exactly 1,000 miles on it in two days driving from DC to Boston and then back with a stop on Long Island. I averaged 30 MPG on the FWD model which EPA estimates at 37 MPG, but I did not exactly drive with fuel economy in mind.

I am glad I rented it, because it made up my mind to NOT buy the car. Overall it was perfectly fine for the trip, but The cabin room for me (6'6" 275#) was too cramped to use daily, and with the seat in the position it was (all the way back and heavily reclined), not even a small adult could have fit behind me. I honestly do not know where all the interior space is going, it is simply not laid out well for taller drivers.

I recommend you rent it and make up your own mind though, as my height was the main reason I would not choose to purchase the vehicle. Bluetooth worked fairly well, though the infotainment system takes some getting used to. The leather was comfortable and the E-drive system where the engine shuts off every time the speedometer reads 0 was okay to deal with after some initial doubts. I really wish a back-up camera was standard equipment on Volvos as well, because my rental did not have one.

All in all, if you are not a large guy like myself and you want to try it out I would definitely give it a try.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sing1eMalt
Actually I had Luxury reservations and they automatically downgraded me to premium when I asked for the V60.

I was actually driving it myself to see if it was something I would want to buy as it really interested me.

The car drove well, I put exactly 1,000 miles on it in two days driving from DC to Boston and then back with a stop on Long Island. I averaged 30 MPG on the FWD model which EPA estimates at 37 MPG, but I did not exactly drive with fuel economy in mind.

I am glad I rented it, because it made up my mind to NOT buy the car. Overall it was perfectly fine for the trip, but The cabin room for me (6'6" 275#) was too cramped to use daily, and with the seat in the position it was (all the way back and heavily reclined), not even a small adult could have fit behind me. I honestly do not know where all the interior space is going, it is simply not laid out well for taller drivers.

I recommend you rent it and make up your own mind though, as my height was the main reason I would not choose to purchase the vehicle. Bluetooth worked fairly well, though the infotainment system takes some getting used to. The leather was comfortable and the E-drive system where the engine shuts off every time the speedometer reads 0 was okay to deal with after some initial doubts. I really wish a back-up camera was standard equipment on Volvos as well, because my rental did not have one.

All in all, if you are not a large guy like myself and you want to try it out I would definitely give it a try.
Thanks for the follow up! Yeah a lot of luxury cars these days have less features than my Focus Titanium which is stupid. I'm 6'4" and 195 lbs, I sat in a V60 the other day at a Volvo dealer and was surprised the back seat is pretty cramped. Oh well, I'd still like to drive it, I rarely have passengers in the back seat.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by mittencuh
Thanks for the follow up! Yeah a lot of luxury cars these days have less features than my Focus Titanium which is stupid. I'm 6'4" and 195 lbs, I sat in a V60 the other day at a Volvo dealer and was surprised the back seat is pretty cramped. Oh well, I'd still like to drive it, I rarely have passengers in the back seat.
Does anyone have recent experiences what car to expect for a Full Size @ IAD?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Any idea what deposit AVIS in the USA reserves when you rent a car?

(Group G, Boston, 3 day rental, President club member if it makes a difference)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.