Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:17 am

Anyone with any experience picking up a Luxury in MAUI (at OGG)? Got a great rate for a three day trip in September and hoping for a fun ride! Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by tm602502
Anyways, I have Cruze for several times from them. Their Cruzes are really well-equipped, like 2LT or LTZ, sometimes even with sunroof.
Congrats!
For what it's worth, I had a 2013 or 2014 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS at IAH with less than 3000 miles. I was thoroughly impressed. Leather, sunroof, touch-screen media, bluetooth, and plenty of giddy-up!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: United 1k | Hyatt Diamond?, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime) | IHG Platinum | Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by jpminard
Anyone with any experience picking up a Luxury in MAUI (at OGG)? Got a great rate for a three day trip in September and hoping for a fun ride! Thanks!
What dates are you going? I head there in early Sept and requested the 5-series from the CHM desk. Hopefully you don't take that from me!

What convertible options are there in Hawaii aside from the Mustang. I'll also be on Oahu and Kauai and it may be nice to have a convertible that seats four comfortably (one of whom will be in a car seat). I hate the stock Mustangs and thought I may need to settle for a 4dr Wrangler.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:39 am

I'm preferred.

I'm getting fed up with Avis b/c I often book a Class S: Standard Elite SUV at DCA. And, never get the Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia. I've gotten a Nissan (Pathfinder, maybe), Ford Explorer and, I think, a Jeep of some type once. For my needs these non-GM models don't compare - in particular I need the third row legroom that the Traverse/Acadia offer.

They never seem to have any "around" that I can switch into (admittedly I'm doing weekend rentals, a busy time in DCA with tourists, etc., I'd imagine). But, they're sure willing to try and upsell me to a Tahoe or Suburban (even when none were available at online booking on the Avis site).

Frustrating. Just this past weekend, I walked away from a rental with Avis b/c of this. Went over to Hertz and, as a walk-up (I'm Gold or something with Hertz), was accommodated immediately in a Traverse at a similar rate as Avis.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:44 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
I'm getting fed up with Avis b/c I often book a Class S: Standard Elite SUV at DCA. And, never get the Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia. I've gotten a Nissan (Pathfinder, maybe), Ford Explorer and, I think, a Jeep of some type once. For my needs these non-GM models don't compare - in particular I need the third row legroom that the Traverse/Acadia offer.
Unfortunately, Avis (or any rental agencies that I know of) doesn't guarantee any model in a specific class unless you reserve a specialty car (even then, it's not truly guaranteed). It would be nearly impossible to guarantee which car you get every time because they have a limited fleet of "similar" (or "not so similar") vehicles that are in the same class.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:57 pm

No, I understand. I've been around/renting enough to know you're not guaranteed a certain type of car. It's just the frustration of (a) them describing the "possibles" as the car I'm interested, (b) NEVER getting that car, (c) them never having one available when I ask about (this is about a once every month and half situation, (d) the up sell push as well. There's a bit of a frustration about the staff attitude at DCA peppered in there. But, often staff attitude could work in my favor as well. So, I very that as a neutral.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:49 am

FORD TAURUS 2013 @SLC personal review of some sort...

Ford Taurus 2013 from AVIS @SLC 17/08/2013 (drove 5484 miles)

PROS:
- very comfortable car - great seats, very easy to find your best driving or traveling position
- great SatNav system (very clear easy to read touchscreen)
- great SiriusXN radio and audio system (although not with the premium speakers its still got a pretty good sound)
- OK leg and head room (I am 6'2)
- great looking both outside and inside (not much changed from the older model though) - quality materials, beautiful LED lamps, the dash screen and the middle large screen is very well designed as well as the whole middle console with all the switches
- huge trunk space and back seat space
- great cruise control system (very responsive and easy to navigate with it)
- very easy to park it despite the large size due to the parking sensors and camera system
- finally an acceptable automatic gear shift system (not a BMW level but much improved from the previous model)
- full leather seats and steering wheel with black leather stitching

CONS:
- way too heavy to be an enjoyable sporty car - it really drives more like a boat than a car (great for cruising but not the best for twisty-turny mountain roads)
- engine a bit slow, very much tuned for slow city driving than sporty modes
- a bit annoying feature when the shifter left in Drive and you switch the engine off it does not allow the key to be removed before you put the shifter into Park even though you switched everything off...it should place itself automatically into Park as you wont drive anyway with no engine running!?
- no cooled cup holder available (I know, I know it was a rented car but if you drive around Nevada/Utah/California in August it would be a really handy feature to have (once you are spoiled with extras you just want more and more)

CONCLUSION:
I have rented this car in Premium category (a year ago the same Ford Taurus 2011 model with very limited extras and weaker engine in Full size category).

I liked this car the first time too and it did not disappoint me this time either.
I drove 5484 miles in 10 days so we spent most of our time in the car through all sorts of terrains. Of course I would have preferred a Cadillac CTS or a BMW (any series) in the mountains but overall I have to say it was a very comfortable and spacious car to be in, maybe not a fun-drive type of vehicle but definitely an enjoyable ride. ( I did not want to say it feels they make them for middle-aged couples rather than the younger generation but I don't think it is far from the truth...)
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by balazzo
- a bit annoying feature when the shifter left in Drive and you switch the engine off it does not allow the key to be removed before you put the shifter into Park even though you switched everything off...it should place itself automatically into Park as you wont drive anyway with no engine running!?
What kind of shift lever did your Taurus have? I haven't seen a '13 model with any sort of an electronic shifter that would "place itself automatically in Park."

I've had Tauruses (Tauri?) a few times over the last several months, including one for three days this week. All of them had a regular console-mounted shifter. All of them also had keyless ignitions.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
No, I understand. I've been around/renting enough to know you're not guaranteed a certain type of car. It's just the frustration of (a) them describing the "possibles" as the car I'm interested, (b) NEVER getting that car, (c) them never having one available when I ask about (this is about a once every month and half situation, (d) the up sell push as well. There's a bit of a frustration about the staff attitude at DCA peppered in there. But, often staff attitude could work in my favor as well. So, I very that as a neutral.
What kind of attitude at DCA? I rent there all the time and haven't had a problem...besides the fact that they're stingy with upgrades, lol.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by QSilver
What kind of shift lever did your Taurus have? I haven't seen a '13 model with any sort of an electronic shifter that would "place itself automatically in Park."

I've had Tauruses (Tauri?) a few times over the last several months, including one for three days this week. All of them had a regular console-mounted shifter. All of them also had keyless ignitions.
I dont think there is Taurus available with a shifter of this kind, all I said that it would be a good option to have - or its is rather annoying not to have this feature (something similar than in the new Lincoln MKZ but without the boring push-button-system)

The key ignition has surprised me too, I suspect it is not a standard feature on the 2013 model or at least it was not on the one I got from AVIS.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:58 am

Anyone spotted the new Infiniti Q50s in Avis service yet? Seems like they'd be a prime customer since they rent the m37 & g37.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Anyone spotted the new Infiniti Q50s in Avis service yet? Seems like they'd be a prime customer since they rent the m37 & g37.
As an owner of a G37 that is coming off-lease in November, I'm excited to go test-drive a Q50. One of these days I just gotta get to the dealership... if I could ever spend a week at home instead of on the road .
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
I have a pre-paid res for ATL for a weekend in Oct (starting Thur) for a D class Altima Coupe 2DR. I'd be happy with that but from what I've read skimming this thread it's unlikely I'll actually get the Altima?

I haven't rented a lot of cars in recent years and I don't have any status - not sure if it's worth registering with Avis for "preferred" just for this but let me know if you think it's worthwhile.

Assuming they don't have the Altima Coupe, any suggestions on what to avoid or a good option they might offer? I prefer 2DR/sporty to a larger vehicle. I also added Sirius/XM to my vehicle so I assume that limits the options?

I'm open to upgrading if it's not too much extra cash. In the past I used to upgrade to convertibles for $5-$15/day. I know they can have a lot of flexibility with upgrades depending on what's on the lot. But, as I mentioned I haven't done this for a while so looking for a bit of guidance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tryinginvain
I prefer 2DR/sporty to a larger vehicle.
I havent seen a 2DR car in an AVIS lot in a long time.

If it were me, I'd try and get a Ford Fusion.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question Class F Intermediate SUV at MCO

What are the usual candidates you get at MCO for this class?. Arriving on a Friday in early Nov at 11.00m if that matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.