Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

"On the Road Expenses" discount applied retroactively

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I made a reservation a few weeks ago for a 2-day rental in DEN over last weekend. Estimated total was $83ish.

When I returned the car, there was an unexplained discount which lowered my bill to $67ish.

When I got home, the e-receipt email was waiting for me and explained it thus (between the Total Charges and the Net Charges):

On the Road Expenses -16.05
I don't mind , but what in the world is this?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:52 pm

It looks like this is a program only valid for Switzerland residents:

https://neptun.rent-at-avis.com/avis...F000029D4F7_N3

Provides a 25% worldwide discount (which appears to be the case here).

This is VERY interesting...
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by randomman
It looks like this is a program only valid for Switzerland residents:

https://neptun.rent-at-avis.com/avis...F000029D4F7_N3

Provides a 25% worldwide discount (which appears to be the case here).

This is VERY interesting...
Not interesting at all...

Avis has the ability to discount a rental if you incurred costs literally 'while on the road'.

I did an oil change on an Impala way back when after doing a good number of kilometers. I provided a bill of the charges I incurred and had the $49.99 applied as an on the road discount on my invoice.

sdsearch: Did something like that happen to you?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I made a reservation a few weeks ago for a 2-day rental in DEN over last weekend. Estimated total was $83ish.

When I returned the car, there was an unexplained discount which lowered my bill to $67ish.

When I got home, the e-receipt email was waiting for me and explained it thus (between the Total Charges and the Net Charges):

On the Road Expenses -16.05
I don't mind , but what in the world is this?
on the road expenses is used, by avis, to compensate you, the renter, for any expense that should have been taken care of by Avis.

for example.

lightbulb out, oil change (seriously, folks, its okay to ignore the change oil soon light. Its not a sensor, its a timer), check engine light (far from an avis location), flat tire and cannotwait for roadside assistance, purchase oil, winshield fluid, air freshener, and a partridge in a pear tree....

Sometimes, locations use the "on the road expenses" incorrectly to give a discount to the customer instead of using the proper discount indicator. I dont know why, within Avis empowerment there are so many different ways to compensate a renter without irritation.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by ezmonee
Sometimes, locations use the "on the road expenses" incorrectly to give a discount to the customer instead of using the proper discount indicator. I dont know why, within Avis empowerment there are so many different ways to compensate a renter without irritation.
Indeed, I've seen that done as well.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lardiop
Not interesting at all...

Avis has the ability to discount a rental if you incurred costs literally 'while on the road'.

I did an oil change on an Impala way back when after doing a good number of kilometers. I provided a bill of the charges I incurred and had the $49.99 applied as an on the road discount on my invoice.

sdsearch: Did something like that happen to you?
No, that's the thing, it was a completely uneventful rental in those terms.

The only eventful thing was that they automatically assigned me an SUV (I had reserved a compact), which I didn't want. I went back to the Preferred booth and asked for a car, and they said "is a 2 door ok" and I said yes and they gave me a new contract and told me which car to take. I don't know if I was un-upgraded or not. But the funny thing is, I made that choice (to turn down the SUV) to reduce my "on the road expense" that's called the cost of filling up! (Btw, I filled up before returning, so there was no gas filling charge at Avis either.)

I did put a few hundred miles on the car in a couple days (I rented at DEN but was visiting Rocky Mtn Natl Park, staying in Estes Park and Loveland). But again, other than the gas (which was high priced because I didn't find anything close to the airport except for the high-priced Conoco one mile away from the Avis return site), I had no "on the road" expenses.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:25 am

No, that's the thing, it was a completely uneventful rental in those terms.

The only eventful thing was that they automatically assigned me an SUV (I had reserved a compact), which I didn't want. I went back to the Preferred booth and asked for a car, and they said "is a 2 door ok" and I said yes and they gave me a new contract and told me which car to take. I don't know if I was un-upgraded or not. But the funny thing is, I made that choice (to turn down the SUV) to reduce my "on the road expense" that's called the cost of filling up! (Btw, I filled up before returning, so there was no gas filling charge at Avis either.)

I did put a few hundred miles on the car in a couple days (I rented at DEN but was visiting Rocky Mtn Natl Park, staying in Estes Park and Loveland). But again, other than the gas (which was high priced because I didn't find anything close to the airport except for the high-priced Conoco one mile away from the Avis return site), I had no "on the road" expenses.
Other things I can think of:

Did they charge you the proper car class rate for what you actually received? Was there a coupon on the reservation? Did you use a credit card that automatically applies an X% discount?
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lardiop
Other things I can think of:

Did they charge you the proper car class rate for what you actually received? Was there a coupon on the reservation? Did you use a credit card that automatically applies an X% discount?
I used the same credit card (Diners Club MC) that I always use. Never heard of an automatic discount on Avis with it before.

There was no coupon. And the AWD was the standard one for BA no status, because I am going for the double BA miles (ie, 1000 BA miles for the two-day rental).

I don't know what class the car I got was, but I can't believe it was lower than compact (despite being two-door), and compact was what I reserved. My receipt claims the car was in car group K, which the back of the receipt says is Convertible (online it says K is "Convertible, Convertible or similar" ), but it sure didn't look like it. At any rate, like I said, I can't believe it was less than Compact.

Before this mysterious "on the road expenses" discount, they charged me for a Compact, as that's what I reserved. (I'm Preferred, so it's normal for them to upgrade me.)
Old Oct 4, 2008, 2:23 am

lol, well dont sweat it. I promise it has nothing to do with the AWD.
it was just a freak thing where someone gave you a discount somehow for some reason.

dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

I used the same credit card (Diners Club MC) that I always use. Never heard of an automatic discount on Avis with it before.

There was no coupon. And the AWD was the standard one for BA no status, because I am going for the double BA miles (ie, 1000 BA miles for the two-day rental).

I don't know what class the car I got was, but I can't believe it was lower than compact (despite being two-door), and compact was what I reserved. My receipt claims the car was in car group K, which the back of the receipt says is Convertible (online it says K is "Convertible, Convertible or similar" ), but it sure didn't look like it. At any rate, like I said, I can't believe it was less than Compact.

Before this mysterious "on the road expenses" discount, they charged me for a Compact, as that's what I reserved. (I'm Preferred, so it's normal for them to upgrade me.)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: VAG
I also got a discount for unknown "on the road expenses" with my last rental, knocking $17.09 off (over 40% of the cost of the actual rental).

No clue why, but hey, I like free money!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Maybe the car didn't go out with a full tank? If it went out 7/8 and you returned it full, Avis will give you the "on the road discount" for that.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Maybe the car didn't go out with a full tank? If it went out 7/8 and you returned it full, Avis will give you the "on the road discount" for that.
I think this is often the case.

I just took out a car. The gauge looked pretty full, but after just a bit of driving, it had dropped considerably and I knew it must not have been 100% full.

When I returned the car full, I got an "on the road discount" for $4.83.

You might ask "how did Avis know such a small, exact amount of gas was missing from the tank if the needle read almost full?" The reason is that some Avis cars have "electronic fuel metering" sensors that communicate the exact gas level to Avis when the car is returned. They can detect a tenth of a gallon difference.

So Avis knew how full the car was when I took it out. The last renter was probably charged a bit. I filled it so they gave me a discount.

it would be interesting to know if the amount the other customer was charged is equal to the discount I got. I suspect they charged the other person $9 a gallon and reimbursed me at market rates.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
The Swiss "on the road" program mentioned above ties in to an AWD (X440440) and would be coded as such in an invoice.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I've received one of these when taking a car with 3/4 tank and returning it full. Maybe related to fuel?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
This.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.