Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to use the AvisFirst free weekend coupon?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
Originally Posted by aviators99
The coupons are blacked out until August 20th! Then they expire September 30th! There literally aren't enough weekends for me to use my coupons. This is ridiculous.

mine expire 8/31 -- real good usage for me
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Are there any car class limitations on the free weekend coupon?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

The coupons are blacked out until August 20th! Then they expire September 30th! There literally aren't enough weekends for me to use my coupons. This is ridiculous.

I am going to a wedding this weekend and we're driving... it's about 500 miles away. I've tried using my free weekend coupon to book it several times in the past few months and it gives me the "coupon cannot be used on these dates" every time. I called my local Avis store and asked if I "could use my Avis First free weekend coupon this weekend". They said sure and let me book a car for tomorrow!

So it might be worth a call to your local Avis station to see if you can use the coupons instead of just relying on the website or the 800 number.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Avis coupons do not show up on the quote online. Just make sure you put the coupon in the online reservation & it does not come back as "invalid dates" or another error. ....
Thanks for this info. I tried to use the coupon to book a Labor Day rental and the fee was basically the same as if I used my AWD. So I sent a note to Avis asking them what I did wrong and received they standard reply that they would get back to me in 7-10 business days.

I'm might have missed it in the T&C for the coupon, but is it disclosed that the coupon isn't reflected online?

edit: from T&C For reservations made on Avis.com, free day will be applied at time of rental., I guess that answers my question, even though I didn't realize it.

Last edited by Illini_Fan; Jul 19, 2007 at 9:34 pm
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:41 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I've tried using my free weekend coupon to book it several times in the past few months and it gives me the "coupon cannot be used on these dates" every time. I called my local Avis store and asked if I "could use my Avis First free weekend coupon this weekend". They said sure and let me book a car for tomorrow!

So it might be worth a call to your local Avis station to see if you can use the coupons instead of just relying on the website or the 800 number.
I echo this advice. I did the same thing and they were able to accommodate me. Wasn't the slightest problem -- system accepted the coupon code. Two free days reflected upon return.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM

i just checked agian yesterday and amazingly enough, the blackout dates were gone for my particular rental needs.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by wuhoo
i just checked agian yesterday and amazingly enough, the blackout dates were gone for my particular rental needs.
Thanks! Same for me!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:53 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by mrblueeyes
Are there any car class limitations on the free weekend coupon?
Midsize to full size only.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:54 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I have used two of the weekend codes without any problems. However, I did learn that you can NOT use the coupon for a single weekend day. It must be a two day weekend.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I have used two of the weekend codes without any problems. However, I did learn that you can NOT use the coupon for a single weekend day. It must be a two day weekend.
That kind of sucks. I am going to try it with booked 2-day rental but I will return the car after 1 day. Wonder if that will work.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:42 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have used two of these and I never give the coupon until I return the car. The person checking in the car can add the coupon and the two days is automatically deducted. No need to see the agent.

It is best to use the coupon after the rental because the insurance provided by the credit card company is not in effect for free rentals. If you use the coupon post the rental this will a avoid a big headache in case of an incident during the rental. Obviously if there is an incident do not use the coupon.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:35 pm

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thepla
It is best to use the coupon after the rental because the insurance provided by the credit card company is not in effect for free rentals. If you use the coupon post the rental this will a avoid a big headache in case of an incident during the rental. Obviously if there is an incident do not use the coupon.
Are you psychic? I came to this thread intending to ask about the credit card LDW on these coupon bookings
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:20 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by thepla
I have used two of these and I never give the coupon until I return the car. The person checking in the car can add the coupon and the two days is automatically deducted. No need to see the agent.

Hadn't considered this angle. Good to know. I wonder how it works if you rent three days and two are free. At least then the credit card is being used.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:40 am

Programs: AA PLAT, DL GLD, CO GLD, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

Their policy for this coupon use is obviously unclear to everyone, except Avis. I emailed Avis and asked them why I couldn't use the coupon I was emailed and I got a reply thanking me for "using Budget." Guess this is what we can expect when they off shore their "customer service" outside the US.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:38 am

What happens if you forget to give the coupon to the person checking the car in until *after* they print your receipt out? Can they fix it there or do you have to run inside or are you SOL?

Thanks!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.